This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Now Eating Less As Gluten Free

anonymical7

anonymical7 Rookie

Amazing, I have been gluten free for almost two months now and I have noticed something nice. I am eating less and very gradually losing weight. I almost always used to get 2-3 portions, at least two at each meal. Now I find I can stop after one serving! It occurred to me that this could be that I am getting my nutrients that I long was without. I am taking a multivitamin too, but this has been nice. I am down about 10lbs, and it is just very slowly going down.

Have other people experienced this? Just curious, but happy. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

My consumption went down too. I think it was because I wasn't eating empty carbs and junk anymore. My body was actually getting the nutrients that it needed.

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

My consumption went down, too. I was always starving even when I ate. It seems like after my body could finally start digesting, I didn't need as much food and I digested it longer. The weight loss hasn't been as much as I'd have hoped, but it feels like there was quite a bit of damage done, so maybe there's still hope for me once I've healed more. :)

bigbird16 Apprentice

I've noticed the same. I used to worry about getting enough food when out and about, was always hungry and getting woozy if I didn't have food every couple of hours. While eating one meal, I was thinking of the next meal. Now (gluten-free since Nov.), I like to eat, for sure, but I don't have much interest in food. I eat much smaller portions when I'm hungry, which is around three times/day, and maybe a snack or dessert at night (not usually, though). If work gets crazy and I have to miss lunch, it's no big deal. It's nice not to be a slave to my stomach. Weightloss here hasn't been as much as hoped, either, but then again I haven't been moving about as much lately.

Tastes have changed, too. I used to eat a lot of pasta and cookies. I like gluten-free varieties of both, but mostly have no interest. Me turn down a cookie?!?!?!? Yep. :)

mikehall117 Rookie

I have found my consumption has gone down since going gluten-free. I believe that this is because I can now actually feel when I am full. Previously I was so bloated and uncomfortable that the message from my stomach that I was full was lost. I now can sense when I need to eat something and can tell immediately when I am full. I even find myself leaving food on my plate! However, this feeling completely vanished when I consumed gluten last weekend and I found myself constantly craving food again a couple of days later once the worse of the D and bloating had passed. Normal feeling is only now returning 5 days later.

anonymical7 Rookie

Yeah for me it was thinking I was Hypoglycemic, once when I was on the short end of money, I reverted to just eating sandwiches, basically wheat overload. I lost 20lbs in one month and had heart palpitations. The dietician showed me a food chart! She said I was not eating enough...well, I was eating okay, just all wheat based things.

I stay away from sugars in general, with exceptions for dark chocolates 70% and higher. You have to watch those for glutens too I guess. But my normal eating now consists of primarily fish, eggs,tofu, chicken, some beef (once a week or so). I keep carbs just within reason, and eat when I have too, but I do eat nuts for snacks, sometimes cheese. I make sushi, salads....

It seems to be working, but I also bike around often, walk, and occasionally swim. I was eating all the time, and double quantities, then falling asleep and feeling drugged. Its amazing how things have changed. Its great you found out too.

Oh cookies....very tempting, but chocolates my seduction.

A :o

I've noticed the same. I used to worry about getting enough food when out and about, was always hungry and getting woozy if I didn't have food every couple of hours. While eating one meal, I was thinking of the next meal. Now (gluten-free since Nov.), I like to eat, for sure, but I don't have much interest in food. I eat much smaller portions when I'm hungry, which is around three times/day, and maybe a snack or dessert at night (not usually, though). If work gets crazy and I have to miss lunch, it's no big deal. It's nice not to be a slave to my stomach. Weightloss here hasn't been as much as hoped, either, but then again I haven't been moving about as much lately.

Tastes have changed, too. I used to eat a lot of pasta and cookies. I like gluten-free varieties of both, but mostly have no interest. Me turn down a cookie?!?!?!? Yep. :)

Jamie Contributor

Oh def...my eating habbits have changed for the better. I am eating all natural foods now. My friends and I had a routine of going out to dinner every Friday night... I don't do that anymore with them. Sometimes they even go out 2-3 times a week. I am a health fanatic to begin with so I always hated that they did that. I would say more or less I am still taking in the same amount of calories... but it's comming from better sources now... I don't eat processed foods... the sources would be from lean meats, fruits, vegies, salads, beans... and when I flip out and feel deprived... I go for M&Ms. I've only been on this diet for about a month and a week. Not noticing much of a weight loss.... but I feel so much better than I did a month ago.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm sure before going gluten-free I was eating enough for several people because my body was not absorbing what it needed. I was always hungry. After eating that way for 40 years, I gained weight after going gluten-free, 60 pounds in a short time. So now that I'm gluten free I have to really work on portion control.

caligirl2001 Newbie

I have definitely noticed that I eat less, and am much more aware of that full feeling.

I never thought about my constant desire to eat in terms of my body not getting the nutrients that it needed, but it makes perfect sense.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I have been gluten free for almost 5 months and actually just started taking lipase enzymes because fats would sit in my stomach for way too long.. and now I find myself eating more than ever! But I think that might just be because I still wasn't getting all the nutrients I needed even after going gluten free since my digestion of fats was still very week. Plus I believe I am a lot younger than a lot of the other posters.. maybe not? I'm almost 19. I think age has a lot to do with it..no?

one more mile Contributor

I eat a lot less also. I lose about a pound a month ( a good thing for me) Now I just have to work on buying less. lol.

I often gain that pound back though while eating more when I have pms. I am down 21 pounds and did not even gain my winter 10 pounds this year.

Last week I was in the mood for a binge, I was ticked at something, I sat down with a bag of Gluten free cookies, ate 4 and forgot about the rest. Now that is progress, before the bag would have been half gone before I got up.

I am now rarely hungry after I eat(except for during pms) and now know what this full feeling is that people have talked about. lol

One more mile

• 2 months later...
jensey Apprentice
Amazing, I have been gluten free for almost two months now and I have noticed something nice. I am eating less and very gradually losing weight. I almost always used to get 2-3 portions, at least two at each meal. Now I find I can stop after one serving! It occurred to me that this could be that I am getting my nutrients that I long was without. I am taking a multivitamin too, but this has been nice. I am down about 10lbs, and it is just very slowly going down.

Just diagnosed and I have to say I can relate to your statements about eating 2-3 portions. I had friends who I mentioned the constant D to and they asked if I was losing weight. When I finally went to the doc for the blood tests he made a similar type statement with regards to having constant D. Before I read your post I was talking with my dad, who has either celiac or worse because of undiagnosed celiac for many years. I was saying I think I eat sooo much because my body isn't getting what it needs. I HOPE to find that I will find that I can feel fuller sooner now that I will be eating appropriately. Your post gives me hope!

Thanks for it!

ceyannuzzi Newbie

Congratulations. I just got diagnosed last Thursday. I hope I have your success. i would like to drop about 5 lbs. Obviously the goal is to stay gluten free, but a little lb loss would be fine!

Archived