This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Artificial Sweetener's Side Effects & Dangers

oblio-a

oblio-a Newbie

-----

Regarding Scott Adam's posting, "Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)"

I wish Scott wouldn't propagate the notion that artificial sweeteners such as Acesulfame K, Aspartame, or Sucralose are necessarily "safe" to eat. Despite FDA approval, artificial sweeteners have many documented side-effects and many suspected health risks. Gluten is not the only ingredient to be concerned about.

In other words, just because the toxins bleach and formaldehyde are gluten-free doesn't mean I should feel safe to sprinkle a yellow or blue packet in my morning coffee.

Health-conscious individuals will benefit from using only natural reduced-calorie sweeteners that Scott mentioned, such as Xylitol or pure Stevia.

Artificial sweeteners are 'hidden' in so many products - even non-diet ones - that it is an unfortunate challenge to avoid them - so read all ingredients, carefully, all the way through.

Hope this helps!

-----

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Scott is simply providing a list of what foods/products are safe to use on a gluten-free diet. His personal feelings on these items is not noted, nor should it be. As regards their use with the gluten-free diet, they are safe. Everyone should make their own choice, backed by their own research.

Mtndog Collaborator

Technically, according to the FDA they are safe and they are gluten-free. Clearly, there is opposing research and controversy over artificial sweeteners but it's your decision. Scott is just letting you know they are safe for the diet.

Juliebove Rising Star

Personally I feel they are safe. Most people can consume them with no ill effects. Exception being sugar alcohols. I feel with those, some people can eat them safely but for many they will have a laxative effect.

• 2 weeks later...
hannahp57 Contributor

You mention they cause side effects... what side effects are they known to cause?

I personally refuse to knowingly eat or drink anything with artificial sweetners...

why? 2 reasons.

1.) it just hasn't ever seemed that important to me to eat less sugar and I am sure I could find other ways to do it

2.) when i was first diagnosed, my doctor gave me a list of safe vs. not safe. not safe included all artificial sweetners. i asked him why and he told me that if i drank something like a diet sode i would probably feel lke i had a very bad stomach flu for about a week. sure enough...diet pepsi and i was down for over a week and haven't ever felt quite that bad. that was three years ago and i havent had ANY diet drink since then

but anyways my point in replying was curiosity of others who have side effects from these things.

flourgirl Apprentice

Personally I like to use Stevia. My husband was getting terrible migrains again, and we couldn't figure out the trigger. It was Splenda! I've since read that others suffer adverse affects from sweeteners. I do agree it is a personal choice as to whether you feel safe using any of these things. Most people have no problems with them.

mushroom Proficient

Stevia is the only sweetener I use other than sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
Stevia is the only sweetener I use other than sugar.

I like stevia too :P I also use a little bit of honey and pure maple syrup... I don't see the need to use artificial sweeteners when so many natural alternatives are available. Just a personal choice.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just a quick note about stevia. If you are allergic to ragweed be careful about using stevia. I didn't know they were in the same family and was unpleasently surprised by my reaction to it.

sixtytwo Apprentice

What was your reaction to stevia.....I got a serious case of the "D" from it, I think.

Barbara

ravenwoodglass Mentor
What was your reaction to stevia.....I got a serious case of the "D" from it, I think.

Barbara

I had a histamine reaction with swelling and itchiness in my mouth and throat and broke out in hives. Sugar alcohols give me D very quickly but with stevia it was an allergic reaction. I avoid all artificial sweeteners personally as my body just doesn't deal with them well and thought stevia was the answer. Since then I use agave nectar or 'real' sugar if I need a sweetener.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I agree, Scott was just giving the facts.

But I feel the same way. I think trans fats are a good example of how anything that is essentially man made, or "artificial," is just plain bad for you. We were not meant to create or chemically alter our own foods.

Many researchers also believe that even though there are no calories in the artificial sweeteners the body is still tricked into thinking that what you're putting in is sugar, which in turn causes an insulin rush, in turn causing the body to store any sugar in the body as fat.

I honestly think that a regular coke is healthier than a diet coke.

sixtytwo Apprentice

Found out why the Truvia gave me the uncontrollable "D".....it has some of that horrible stuff that ends in "ose" that is aritificial. It starts with e and I checked with my health food store and the gal there said that was the problem. Truvia is not totally just Stevia. I bought another one that is just Stevia and a little plain sugar that is only 5 calories a packet and I got along fine on that one. Need to read those lables closely. Barbara

• 1 month later...
linda7276 Newbie

I recently found out that the Stevia I have been using, which has Maltodextrin in it, is not gluten-free....which explains why I was much much better but not totally well. According to some lists if the Maltodextrin is manufactured in the US it is gluten-free. I discovered that the Stevia I have been using is from Columbia, so I went to their website to check it out and it is not gluten free....grrrrrrrrrr. I post this for those that might be using Stevia from other places. Please check it out. The brand is Erba Dolce, here is a link to a site that shows it is NOT gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

tarnalberry Community Regular
Found out why the Truvia gave me the uncontrollable "D".....it has some of that horrible stuff that ends in "ose" that is aritificial. It starts with e and I checked with my health food store and the gal there said that was the problem. Truvia is not totally just Stevia. I bought another one that is just Stevia and a little plain sugar that is only 5 calories a packet and I got along fine on that one. Need to read those lables closely. Barbara

erythritol is not an *artificial* sugar alcohol, though it is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol. it occurs in fruits, but when mass produced, is usually made from fermenting glucose with yeast. it *is* absorbed by the body, and is unlikely (though not impossible, of course) to cause the digestive issues - like diarrhea) that un-digestable sugar alcohols can. if you react to yeast, however, I would wonder if the fermenting process leaves enough yeast behind that it could cause a reaction itself. additionally, though I expect the natural flavors are gluten free, you can react to those as well.

Lisa Mentor
I recently found out that the Stevia I have been using, which has Maltodextrin in it, is not gluten-free....which explains why I was much much better but not totally well. According to some lists if the Maltodextrin is manufactured in the US it is gluten-free. I discovered that the Stevia I have been using is from Columbia, so I went to their website to check it out and it is not gluten free....grrrrrrrrrr. I post this for those that might be using Stevia from other places. Please check it out. The brand is Erba Dolce, here is a link to a site that shows it is NOT gluten-free.

As mentioned, if a product WHICH IS IMPORTED into the US, is also required by law to list if wheat is a source in Maltodextrin. Barley, rye or malt are not required to be listed.

Do you know the the source of the gluten?

still tiredofdoctors Rookie

I'll withhold personal comments about accuracy . . . I'm already in trouble!

My home health nurse is my "acid test" with regard to gluten-free safety. Her celiac is very severe, and her sensitivity to the slightest amount of gluten is very high. She has not been able to use stevia.

While it does have carbohydrates and "sugars", I use Agave nectar. You need to use very little, and it also has a low glycemic index. I'll have to check the brand, but after calling the manufacturer, I found out that it is gluten-free. Also, my home health nurse had no reaction . . .

Lisa Mentor
I'll withhold personal comments about accuracy . . . I'm already in trouble!

My home health nurse is my "acid test" with regard to gluten-free safety. Her celiac is very severe, and her sensitivity to the slightest amount of gluten is very high. She has not been able to use stevia.

Are your claims that of Stevia containing gluten? I don't use the product, but I am sure that other would like to know. :)

This Stevia website claims it to be gluten free:

What is your concern regarding accuracy?

I didn't say it contained gluten . . . I said my home health nurse wasn't able to use it.

RiceGuy Collaborator
I didn't say it contained gluten . . . I said my home health nurse wasn't able to use it.

The thing is, there are numerous brands of Stevia on the market. With the exception of the plant itself, one cannot simply lump all brands together and make blanket claims. Some have sugar-alcohols or dextrose (often from corn), some have inulin, some have honey powder, some have grapefruit seed extract. The list goes on and on.

In addition, not all Stevia extracts are of the same purity. I mean, as it is extracted from the Stevia leaf, before it is blended with other ingredients. The lower the purity (meaning more impurities), the more likely the chance of aftertaste. And if you have a ragweed allergy, those impurities may contribute to such an allergic reaction.

But as for the relation to ragweed, that's true. But so is lettuce, sunflower, chicory, marigold, Feverfew, African daisy, calendula, chamomile, yarrow, chrysanthemum, sage, thistle, burdock, dandelion, and various others. So, if most of these cause you no problems, then I think the purified Stevia extract shouldn't either. Since inulin is often extracted from chicory, one may have a reaction to Stevia products which contain inulin, if there's a sensitivity to chicory. It doesn't have to be due to the Stevia extract itself.

In recent years, several companies have improved their extraction process, yielding a more pure product. What they ultimately blend it with is another matter. Most Stevia products are blended with something so that they measure more like sugar. Otherwise, those new to using it have a tendency to use too much, and be greatly dissatisfied. Too much can cause an off taste. I only buy the pure powder, which has nothing else in it whatsoever. It is over 95% pure, and comes from Brazil, unlike most brands which come from China. It is extremely sweet, so you need to familiarize yourself with it to use it properly.

There are a few different components of Stevia which have a sweet taste. Not all companies focus on the same components, so they don't all taste the same, even in their pure extract form.

mommida Enthusiast

OK. I'm jumping on this thread late, and haven't poured over every post.

I went to buy stevia in a large canister, and can't remember the brand. The label said consuming too much could cause a laxative affect. <_< I put it back on the shelf and never looked back.

I believe some people are having a bad experience with stevia, and others are having a great experience. Celiacs need to use caution with all new products.

The thing is, there are numerous brands of Stevia on the market. With the exception of the plant itself, one cannot simply lump all brands together and make blanket claims. Some have sugar-alcohols or dextrose (often from corn), some have inulin, some have honey powder, some have grapefruit seed extract. The list goes on and on.

In addition, not all Stevia extracts are of the same purity. I mean, as it is extracted from the Stevia leaf, before it is blended with other ingredients. The lower the purity (meaning more impurities), the more likely the chance of aftertaste. And if you have a ragweed allergy, those impurities may contribute to such an allergic reaction.

But as for the relation to ragweed, that's true. But so is lettuce, sunflower, chicory, marigold, Feverfew, African daisy, calendula, chamomile, yarrow, chrysanthemum, sage, thistle, burdock, dandelion, and various others. So, if most of these cause you no problems, then I think the purified Stevia extract shouldn't either. Since inulin is often extracted from chicory, one may have a reaction to Stevia products which contain inulin, if there's a sensitivity to chicory. It doesn't have to be due to the Stevia extract itself.

In recent years, several companies have improved their extraction process, yielding a more pure product. What they ultimately blend it with is another matter. Most Stevia products are blended with something so that they measure more like sugar. Otherwise, those new to using it have a tendency to use too much, and be greatly dissatisfied. Too much can cause an off taste. I only buy the pure powder, which has nothing else in it whatsoever. It is over 95% pure, and comes from Brazil, unlike most brands which come from China. It is extremely sweet, so you need to familiarize yourself with it to use it properly.

There are a few different components of Stevia which have a sweet taste. Not all companies focus on the same components, so they don't all taste the same, even in their pure extract form.

What an EXCELLENT point! Where are you able to get the pure stevia powder? Have you found it readily available in health food stores? We have two independently owned stores, and they would be able to order it . . . I will also tell my nurse (I talked with her today) so that she can use it, as well. Thank you for a great idea . . .

Archived