This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chrone's & Celiac? Or Ulscers?

raisin

raisin Enthusiast

I'm kind of freaking out. In 2 weeks I will have my medical records, but not officially have insurance for another full month (If I really rush it, maybe 3 weeks), and just want some information or peace of mind to hold me off until I can get formal testing done. For reference, I am age 19 and female.

I feel fine in the morning, and in the evening/night, I get sick. Practically every day for years. Salad makes me feel better. One of my parents has a hernia, and suspected stomach ulcers when my age, but testing wasn't available at that time. I'm getting tested for H. Pylori (stomach ulcers), but now I am also wondering about Chrone's or Ulcerative Colitis? Most alarmingly, I have been finding recently, bloating (constipation), then that there is mucus in my stools, and maybe rectal bleeding??

Current condition in simple terms :

* No vomiting, cramping, or diareah problems at all.

* No vitamin deficiencies, recently (finally) gained a little weight.

* A "spell of sickness" = stomach pains, belching, dizziness/tiredness, bloating, shaking hands, feeling cold? usually 1-2 hours

* Eczema, acne, constipation & mucus, eye irritation, tonsil swelling. (But that sounds like allergy symptoms??)

* As a child : chronic tonsillitis, large/long-lasting mouth ulcers, delayed growth, skinny, picky with food, stomach/joint pains.

*Temperature normally 97.6-97.8 (f)

Something other than just celiac is wrong with me, any idea as to what??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heathen Apprentice
I'm kind of freaking out. In 2 weeks I will have my medical records, but not officially have insurance for another full month (If I really rush it, maybe 3 weeks), and just want some information or peace of mind to hold me off until I can get formal testing done. For reference, I am age 19 and female.

I feel fine in the morning, and in the evening/night, I get sick. Practically every day for years. Salad makes me feel better. One of my parents has a hernia, and suspected stomach ulcers when my age, but testing wasn't available at that time. I'm getting tested for H. Pylori (stomach ulcers), but now I am also wondering about Chrone's or Ulcerative Colitis? Most alarmingly, I have been finding recently, bloating (constipation), then that there is mucus in my stools, and maybe rectal bleeding??

Current condition in simple terms :

* No vomiting, cramping, or diareah problems at all.

* No vitamin deficiencies, recently (finally) gained a little weight.

* A "spell of sickness" = stomach pains, belching, dizziness/tiredness, bloating, shaking hands, feeling cold? usually 1-2 hours

* Eczema, acne, constipation & mucus, eye irritation, tonsil swelling. (But that sounds like allergy symptoms??)

* As a child : chronic tonsillitis, large/long-lasting mouth ulcers, delayed growth, skinny, picky with food, stomach/joint pains.

*Temperature normally 97.6-97.8 (f)

Something other than just celiac is wrong with me, any idea as to what??

If you are not having the big D, crohn and ulcerative colitis are way down on the list of possibilities. rectal bleeding can be from hemorrhoids--especially if you've been having constipation and straining. you may want to check out your thyroid function, or you could just have a bug to explain the fatigue and chills. I think many of us are really sensitive to any changes in our bodies, and we tend to think that we have another big disorder because we suffered so long without a diagnosis for the Celiac Disease--kinda like "once bitten, twice shy." i hope it turns out to be something simple and easy to treat.

raisin Enthusiast

First, it was very comforting to hear that neither of those chronic (and rather scary) conditions would likely apply to me. I also really couldn't see it being a bug, based on how long my symptoms had lasted. I will at least talk to my doctor about thyroid, but because my general blood tests always shout "100% normal and healthy and every way," they told me once before that it was unlikely. I'm still going to get tested for H. Pylori, too, as ulcers still fit the bill.

Mainly; It's very strange.. The day after I posted this, my constipation and related oddities just stopped, and have yet to return. The day after that, and every day (excluding the two days after I ate a bowl of grapes), my dyspepsia has been absent, too..! I am no longer sure I'm bloated, and thinking.. maybe I'm just finally gaining more weight? I don't know how to tell the difference, sense I have essentially never gained weight before. But my bras went up a size, sense going gluten-free year ago, and my thighs and butt actually fit into a size 1 now, so probably? I just didn't think women gained lower-stomach-weight easily.

The change seemed to root from diet. I removed coffee and one gluten-free product from my diet, along with every single Birch-related food. I started to finally change my sleeping schedule back to semi-human hours, have had enough energy to clean up my apartment and go out for walks, and even started eating CornThins and Oranges for the first time in a long time!

Sadly, now my diet is pushed to a pretty extreme limit, but with a couple of months of allergy testing and finding a good nutritionist, it should only get better.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Don't loose heart with the extememly limited diet you are currently having to do. After you have had some more time to heal you can try cautiously adding back in one item a week, 3 times a day, in a pure a form as possible and watch for a reaction. Often after we have healed the gut for a while other intolerances may abate.

Archived