This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

White Flecks On Fingernails...

Guest jbugsly

Guest jbugsly

Ok I have heard lots of rumors and wivestales, so I decided to ask ya'll. I have white flecks on my fingernails that I cant seem to get rid of. Are they related to my celiac? Or is it zinc defficiancy?

Any help is appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I know it can come from lack of calcium.

It can come from celiac because if you are malnourished from certain things that could show up.

celiac3270 Collaborator

White specks on your fingernails are calcium deposits and are related to celiac. On some symptom list on this site, they are listed. I have them on my fingernails also.

lotusgem Rookie

Hi guys.

I've had those white spots on and off my whole life. Never would've guessed that it was Celiac. (I'm trying to remember what my mom used to tell me caused them...it either had to do with the number of lies you've told, or boyfriends you would have. HA!)

But I'm confused; if it's calcium deficiency then why would deposits be present on our nails? Seems like our nails should be pinker than most!

Paula :P

celiac3270 Collaborator

Because celiac causes malabsorbtion, the calcium isn't being absorbed--and it's going to the fingernails in those deposits instead.

lotusgem Rookie

Wow! So smart...Thank you Dr. celiac3270! :D

Melanie Rookie

They may also be due to a zinc deficiency. Mine are and have to take zinc daily or else I get them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

Wow, I have had those for years but now take 1,000 mg of calcium a day (no dairy) and they are gone!!! I never noticed...

I was also having problems, after the spots, with pits and ridges/vertical lines and she recommended vitamin C and my nails are improving - I just upped my dose from 500 to 1,000 per day (I take one of each in the morning and evening so my body can absorb).

minibabe Contributor

I get that all over my skin, on my arms and legs. I have really fare skin, could it be related to that or is it related with the celiac and should I be worried about it :unsure:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

You get white spots under your skin? That is probably due to lack of something in your diet. How long have you been gluten free? Celiac can cause deficiencies due to not being able to absorb nutrients properly. You may want to see a doctor to see what you are deficient in so you can get a supplement to take. Do you take vitamins now?

minibabe Contributor

I dont really know how to descripe it, but my skin is fare, then it just develps spots that are whiter. it looks like I am a dalmation. but it is on my legs arms and hands.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

There is a condition of the skin called vitiligo that sounds like what you are describing. You might want to google it.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

watkinson Apprentice

I have small white spots like reverse freckles on my arms also. My dermatologist said they are just sun damage, that anyone at any age can get them but mostly fair people as they age. I don't know if that's the same thing that you have?

The white flecks in the fingernails are not specifically linked to celiacs, they are due to malnutrition. In countries where people are starving, Doctors will look at the fingernails as a quick guide to how bad the malnutrition is. Obviously we celiacs have a malabsorbtion problem therefore a malnurishment problem. :( Wendy

lotusgem Rookie

I thought of something else about my fingernails later. It was worst when I was a child, but my thumb nails used to get horizontal, not vertical with the grain, waves. They were so ugly and I didn't know anyone else whos nails were like that. I just figured that it had to do with some kind of deficiency (didn't know that I had Celiac.) After maybe a few months or longer they would smooth out again. Anybody out there have any experience and/or information? I've always been curious about that.

Paula

minibabe Contributor

I have the lines on my fingernails also and I was told that it is a hereditry thing, b/c my mom and sisters and grandmother has it and my great grandfather had it. Thanks Jessica :)

skbird Contributor

I went low carb three years ago and within a few months my nails, which were always thin and breaking, were growing out really strong. I had one that had a perpetual split (right thumb) and it started growing out unsplit. My mom says now she always envies my nails because I can grow them out. They started getting weaker as I started eating wholegrains again but are getting better now that I'm on a gluten-free diet (5 months). I haven't had those flecks in a while but used to.

Stephanie

Guest BellyTimber

Stephanie,

Did you know many grains both whole and ground to flour are gluten free e.g rice, millet, amaranth, quinoa, as well as other filling foods such as gram (a pulse), tapioca (a stem or root) and many other things mentioned in this forum.

I feel for you not being able to have potato as I would miss it badly, though I don't have it every day.

As for nails the original subject of the thread, my nails are evidently telling me quite a story, thanks to everybody for sharing your valuable information.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

When the docs were trying to diagnose my husband they were very interested in his fingernails & toenails.

He has 'clubbed' fingers & toes.

This is often seen in bowel diseases (crohns too) & heart conditions.

Not sure why though?

• 9 years later...
dan95 Rookie

Ive had these white spots on my nails for years now, but when i went gluten free for 2/3 weeks, i only noticed 1 very feint and small new spot pop up, but since ive been back on gluten for 10 days, ive noticed about  3/4 small ones start to develop already. what actually causes these spots, and is this a sign of celiacs? ive had my zinc tested before so it isnt that, but i havnt had my vitamin levels tested so maybe its related to that?

cyclinglady Grand Master

My daughter has these and she does not have celiac disease. Look it up. Often it is related to simple trauma to the nail. They go away as the nail grows out. More can appear if the nail continues to receive trauma.

dan95 Rookie

nah mine aren't because of nail trauma as i have lots on every nail and have had for years, plus no trauma has been caused to any of my nails, let alone all of them. I have read about it being linked to celiacs due to the malnutrition or something along those lines, but the fact i had barely any new ones come up whilst gluten free highlighted it and made me think.

SMRI Collaborator

I know this is an old thread but oh well....I have horrible fingernails.  They are like paper and split and crack and peal.  I finally had fake nails put on because I just hated how they looked and it's painful when they split down below the quick.  I hope they get better like other's have experienced!!

Archived