21 replies to this topic

#16 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

I went low carb three years ago and within a few months my nails, which were always thin and breaking, were growing out really strong. I had one that had a perpetual split (right thumb) and it started growing out unsplit. My mom says now she always envies my nails because I can grow them out. They started getting weaker as I started eating wholegrains again but are getting better now that I'm on a gluten-free diet (5 months). I haven't had those flecks in a while but used to.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:55 AM

Stephanie,
Did you know many grains both whole and ground to flour are gluten free e.g rice, millet, amaranth, quinoa, as well as other filling foods such as gram (a pulse), tapioca (a stem or root) and many other things mentioned in this forum.
I feel for you not being able to have potato as I would miss it badly, though I don't have it every day.
As for nails the original subject of the thread, my nails are evidently telling me quite a story, thanks to everybody for sharing your valuable information.

#18 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

When the docs were trying to diagnose my husband they were very interested in his fingernails & toenails.
He has 'clubbed' fingers & toes.
This is often seen in bowel diseases (crohns too) & heart conditions.
Not sure why though?
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#19 dan95

dan95

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Ive had these white spots on my nails for years now, but when i went gluten free for 2/3 weeks, i only noticed 1 very feint and small new spot pop up, but since ive been back on gluten for 10 days, ive noticed about  3/4 small ones start to develop already. what actually causes these spots, and is this a sign of celiacs? ive had my zinc tested before so it isnt that, but i havnt had my vitamin levels tested so maybe its related to that?

#20 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

My daughter has these and she does not have celiac disease. Look it up. Often it is related to simple trauma to the nail. They go away as the nail grows out. More can appear if the nail continues to receive trauma.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 dan95

dan95

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

nah mine aren't because of nail trauma as i have lots on every nail and have had for years, plus no trauma has been caused to any of my nails, let alone all of them. I have read about it being linked to celiacs due to the malnutrition or something along those lines, but the fact i had barely any new ones come up whilst gluten free highlighted it and made me think.

#22 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

I know this is an old thread but oh well....I have horrible fingernails.  They are like paper and split and crack and peal.  I finally had fake nails put on because I just hated how they looked and it's painful when they split down below the quick.  I hope they get better like other's have experienced!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: