This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Let's Write Dr. House

Guest Leidenschaft

Guest Leidenschaft

I wonder how many times "House" can misdiagnose a celiac disease patient??? :lol:

Any takers on a letter writing campaign to see if they'll do an episode on our lovely affliction??

I'm sure with over 200 symptoms and side effects they ought to be able to write some interesting script! Hey the first fatality I've seen on the show was from Rabies! :blink: I'm a huge fan and I know it's growing in popularity!

I nominate celiac3270 and Kaiti for the form letter, and we can all add our own personal experience to it! :D See, I'm the idea person here... then I like to delegate! :lol: Seriously though, I think it would be very interesting to see! B)

Thoughts...???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Leidenschaft

Aack celiac3270!! You just bumped me off the front page!! :angry::lol:

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

. . .the same could be said forany hospital show.

So, you want to send a letter to them asking for a thing on Celiacs?

I'd be afraid they would mess up and say some misconception.

Guest Viola

I think it's a challenging enough disease in itself that they would do a fairly good job of it. It would certainly be interesting! :P

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

hhmm sounds interesting...I like it :D

Guest Viola

Kaiti ... does that mean you'll help do a form letter? :rolleyes::)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep of course I'll help...how can I say no to that B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I love Dr House!!!! That would be a good idea for a show!!! LOL

Guest Leidenschaft

We could also encourage the writers to research this board, even do a poll such as some of the many researchers have done!

The whole premise of the show is at least three mis-diagnosis'... :blink: how many celiac disease patients go on and on being told they have everything under the sun before they find it's celiac disease?? :angry:

The drama of course would have to come from the extreme, immediately life threatening situations such as those who pass out from doing a gluten challenge, or have extreme cases of DH...

Since I am relatively symptom free, it would be good for those who have extreme symptoms to give some input!

Let's hear some ideas! :D

Guest nini

how about the time I went to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack, and while I was there I couldn't stop vomiting !!!!!! fun fun fun!!! Of course they determined I wasn't having a heart attack, but since they didn't suspect celiac they said I just had a stomach virus and the "heart" pain was just "anxiety"

this was about 6 months before my diagnosis of celiac.

Guest Leidenschaft

Not to make light of what must have been an extremely distressing experience... :( BUT that is exactly what we're looking for! :D Maybe they'd even do a "casting call" on the board! :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

what about someone who has gluten "shock" and doesn't realize they have celiac and goes to the ER a few times and and then the common factor is eating something with gluten and a doctor picks up on it and orders tests done and it turns out they are celiac and then he explains it.....ok I have never seen this show so I may be way off on my idea but just a thought. :D

Guest Leidenschaft

Oh Kaiti, you have to see it! :lol: House is the kind of Dr. real Dr.'s love to hate, he starts treatment before he's got a conclusive diagnosis, and then when the patient almost dies (or worse! :blink: ) then he looks for something else! There's a lot of humor, sarcasm and drama in the show!

Btw, glad you just posted again, I noticed the last post was #666! :blink::lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

sounds like an awesome show...let me know what ideas you come up with and maybe celiac3270(if he wants to) and I can help with the letter :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

what about someone who goes to the ER for a supposed heart attack and is given medication for that(only to contain gluten) then the person reacts and they dont know whats wrong......im brainstorming here so don't mind me lol

and yeah maybe I'll get to 1000 posts soon :blink::lol:

Guest Leidenschaft

See more about Open Original Shared Link here! :)

Guest Leidenschaft

Hmmm, just found this on the Fox website...

11. I have written a script for my favorite FOX show. Where can I send it?

ANSWER:

Keep on writing.....the more you write the better you will get !!

But....

Do not send in ideas or scripts to FOX or to the show unless it is through an accredited agent. ALL unsolicited ideas and scripts are left unopened and are THROWN AWAY. This is for YOUR protection.

You can get a list of agents who are willing to look at new writers from the Writers Guild of America West (located in LA).

Anyone know of any "accredited agents"?? <_<

Twister2 Contributor

Ohh this is a GREAT idea! I love this show! Keep us posted on what happens!

Twister2

Ruth Enthusiast

Not as dramatic... but how about being told for months/years that the extreme tiredness, dizziness, weight loss, chest pains, muscle pains etc were because "You're a mom with three young kids so of course your tired all the time" and "you're running around with young kids so you're losing weight" and "fibromyalgia, it'll never go away"

UGH!!!

I was often met with the "if you look good, you can't be sick" mentality. Might be interesting to show society's twisted sense that if your skinny it's all good... doesn't matter how you feel.

Until of course you're really sick... Dr. House to the rescue!

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I think you might be onto something there Kaiti! I think it would be a brilliant idea!

Sally :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast
what about someone who has gluten "shock" and doesn't realize they have celiac and goes to the ER a few times and and then the common factor is eating something with gluten and a doctor picks up on it and orders tests done and it turns out they are celiac and then he explains it.....ok I have never seen this show so I may be way off on my idea but just a thought.

That sounds great, and maybe the person getting sick could be a rebellious teenager who refuses to eat gluten free and then they get so sick they have no choice? Then the person starts the gluten-free diet and gets better!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Good point...and that's a very real problem that parents often have w/ celiac teens ;)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

yeah I think they could make a pretty awesome show with that...I'm going to call around and see if I cen get any help to get a script or something presented to them...until then what do you all want to do about it?

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Well, let's start the script!

cdford Contributor

Anybody remember the show "Doc" on PAX? They did a show of a teenager who was diagnosed with an eating disorder even though she kept trying to tell everybody (including Dr. Cassidy) that she was not trying to make herself throw up. She finally retreated in tears in the hospital bed. Doc Cassidy decided to listen to her and "check out just one more thing if it is okay with you". Viola! Celiac disease was diagnosed. It is the only time I have ever seen it on a TV doctor show, but it was great. My daughter and I almost cried watching it all happen. We had it figured even if nobody else did.

House would have a great time with my story...extreme weakness, loss of memory so bad I could only remember my husband's social security number (not his or my kid's names), loss of use of my left side, V and D, migraine headaches, muscle pain and spasicity, osteopenia, female problems to the extreme, and so on. It took tens of doctors decades to figure it out, only to have them deck the sides of their heads and go "Duh!" when it was finally diagnosed.

Archived