This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starbucks To Debut Gluten Free Cake

savvvyseller

savvvyseller Enthusiast

In response to consumer requests, Starbucks will be introducing a Open Original Shared Link at its U.S. stores on May 5. The cakes will be individually wrapped to prevent cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brazen20au Newbie

is it uncommon for your cafes & coffee shops to have gluten-free options? here in australia virtually every cafe or coffee shop you go into (particularly chains) will have 1 option such as a cookie or cake. it's rare to have more than 1-2 though. one chain only does "low gluten" in some of it's stores though :rolleyes:

debmidge Rising Star
is it uncommon for your cafes & coffee shops to have gluten-free options? here in australia virtually every cafe or coffee shop you go into (particularly chains) will have 1 option such as a cookie or cake. it's rare to have more than 1-2 though. one chain only does "low gluten" in some of it's stores though :rolleyes:

Hi

It's unheard of here in USA to have a cafe/coffee shop offer a gluten free bakery item. If it happens it's rare. My thinking is that the shops are afraid that they will not be able to sell the gluten-free items and they will be stuck throwing them away.

jerseyangel Proficient
In response to consumer requests, Starbucks will be introducing a Open Original Shared Link at its U.S. stores on May 5. The cakes will be individually wrapped to prevent cross contamination.

Thank you for posting!! I can't wait :D

emcmaster Collaborator

I am beyond excited about this because of what it means for us as a community.

I'm a little upset at the comments on the blog, though. I think the fact that Starbucks made an individually-wrapped, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free dessert is pretty impressive. I understand that because it contains almonds and eggs, those with allergies to either will not be able to eat it. That's unfortunate. However, since many of us have other food allergies, it would be darn near impossible for Starbucks to provide a treat that was safe for everyone. The fact that they got the most common secondary allergies covered was a big accomplishment.

(says the girl that can't eat 99.9% of packaged gluten-free products, so I do know how it feels to be left out)

jerseyangel Proficient
I am beyond excited about this because of what it means for us as a community.

I'm a little upset at the comments on the blog, though. I think the fact that Starbucks made an individually-wrapped, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free dessert is pretty impressive. I understand that because it contains almonds and eggs, those with allergies to either will not be able to eat it. That's unfortunate. However, since many of us have other food allergies, it would be darn near impossible for Starbucks to provide a treat that was safe for everyone. The fact that they got the most common secondary allergies covered was a big accomplishment.

(says the girl that can't eat 99.9% of packaged gluten-free products, so I do know how it feels to be left out)

Elizabeth, I agree with you completely! We even had a thread here recently where we tried to come up with a food that was safe for all of us and we couldn't come up with anything except water!

Most packaged gluten-free products, I can't do either since a lot of them have things like tapioca or soy. I held my breath when I read the ingredients of this new cake, and was so excited that I would be able to try it.

I realize that not everyone can do this one due to other allergies/intolerances, but it's still a great step forward for Celiacs. I'm always equally excited even when it works out that I can't have whatever is being offered due to my other sensitivities.

emcmaster Collaborator
Elizabeth, I agree with you completely! We even had a thread here recently where we tried to come up with a food that was safe for all of us and we couldn't come up with anything except water!

Most packaged gluten-free products, I can't do either since a lot of them have things like tapioca or soy. I held my breath when I read the ingredients of this new cake, and was so excited that I would be able to try it.

I realize that not everyone can do this one due to other allergies/intolerances, but it's still a great step forward for Celiacs. I'm always equally excited even when it works out that I can't have whatever is being offered due to my other sensitivities.

Patti, I'm so glad you'll be able to eat it!

I hope that the comments on the blog weren't discouraging to Starbucks. Some of them seemed a little off-putting from Starbucks' point of view.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

Cool! It's grain-free. Very awesome! I will have to try it when it comes out.

brazen20au Newbie

you all need to plan your next vacation to australia ;) hehehehehe

GeordieLass Newbie

It sounds a lot like the orange cake starbucks have had in the UK for a while (at least as long as I've been gluten-free which is about 2 years), I think here it is something like summer orange cake & it is nice & moist & very much a treat item! They've also started doing a belgian chocolate brownie which is gluten-free, WF and Dairy free (sorry I don't know about other allergens) & is so nice the first time I was asking 'are you sure, this is definitely gluten-free??!, maybe you'll get that next!! we live in hope eh?

jerseyangel Proficient
It sounds a lot like the orange cake starbucks have had in the UK for a while (at least as long as I've been gluten-free which is about 2 years), I think here it is something like summer orange cake & it is nice & moist & very much a treat item! They've also started doing a belgian chocolate brownie which is gluten-free, WF and Dairy free (sorry I don't know about other allergens) & is so nice the first time I was asking 'are you sure, this is definitely gluten-free??!, maybe you'll get that next!! we live in hope eh?

Ooh! I hope so :D Glad you've been able to enjoy those!

casnco Enthusiast

I am so excited!!! Thank you Starbucks!!!

On a recent trip to London, in the airport, we found a gluten free cake at the coffee shop! That was so good! It was individually wrapped, VERY moist, and tasty! Good to know we will be able to find something in an American Coffee Shop!!!

Juliebove Rising Star

Rat traps. Almonds in there.

Archived