This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiacs From The UK?

Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Apprentice

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but it seems that it is predominantly US which is great as you can see that gluten-free as a way of life is really taking off there and it's good to know that generally some of the things you are talking about will eventually transfer across here in time given enough support. In the UK it seems slightly less accommodating than the US from my viewpoint - it perhaps differs if you're in somewhere like London for example. To date I know of no gluten-free restaurants in Scotland, I think there are perhaps a few but nowhere near an even reasonable traveling distance and none in my locality that I have came across. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable asking if I was out dining around my area put it that way - salad seems to be a safe, albeit not entirely satiating to a fairly active lad, way to avoid being glutened (btw I love that term!)

Just thought I'd check if there are any members from the UK, maybe more specifically Scotland? Also anyone else from other countries that maybe don't even offer gluten-free foods at the moment? I never thought about it but I guess I'm lucky the main supermarkets offer gluten free / lactose free / etc foods. Be interesting to hear from anyone experiencing differing levels of gluten free availability / experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mikehall117 Rookie

Hi. Yes I am from the UK. I live in London and have found restaurants and supermarkets to be fairly accommodating here. For supermarket shopping I have found the Waitrose has be best selection of gluten-free foods but have usually found a pretty wide choice in Sainsburys and Tesco's too. I haven't eaten out much since going gluten-free, however most restaurants seem to be fairly well clued up about celiac. I have yet to try eating out elsewhere in the UK though. I have also recently joined the UK Coeliac Society and they are sending me their comprehensive booklet listing all safe foods on sale in the UK. Membership is free for the first 6 months if you have been recently diagnosed.

My main challenge is going to be when I go to Brazil to visit my wifes family for a month later this year. I guess I am just going to have to live off meat and salad while I am there. Not that I mind - Brazilian barbeque's are the best in the world!

Leper Messiah Apprentice

Ah right nice one, I don't think there's much Waitrose's in Scotland unfortunately but I've yet to test out Sainsbury's selection. Will have to check it out. Not really checked out Asda either, Morrisons selection is quite poor.

You recently diagnosed?

seashellp Newbie
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but it seems that it is predominantly US which is great as you can see that gluten-free as a way of life is really taking off there and it's good to know that generally some of the things you are talking about will eventually transfer across here in time given enough support. In the UK it seems slightly less accommodating than the US from my viewpoint - it perhaps differs if you're in somewhere like London for example. To date I know of no gluten-free restaurants in Scotland, I think there are perhaps a few but nowhere near an even reasonable traveling distance and none in my locality that I have came across. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable asking if I was out dining around my area put it that way - salad seems to be a safe, albeit not entirely satiating to a fairly active lad, way to avoid being glutened (btw I love that term!)

Just thought I'd check if there are any members from the UK, maybe more specifically Scotland? Also anyone else from other countries that maybe don't even offer gluten-free foods at the moment? I never thought about it but I guess I'm lucky the main supermarkets offer gluten free / lactose free / etc foods. Be interesting to hear from anyone experiencing differing levels of gluten free availability / experience.

Hi,

I'm from Edinburgh and was diagnosed in August last year.

Finding it quite difficult eating out but my dietician gave me a list of places who will do gluten free if asked, much better than sitting with a salad!

As for supermarkets they vary, I dont find much in asda that I like, Tesco is ok bigger range and sainsburys is fairly good. DS deep pan pizza is great just add cheese to it and some veggies for a quick meal.

I tend to do a lot more cooking now and most of the family dont even notice its gluten free but it takes a lot of organising and grabbing a quick lunch is a nightmare. Only so many times you can have soup!

I very rarely eat bread now as I dont like any of the brands glutafin, juvela etc and sometimes make my own but not even keen on that so just have the gluten free muffins toasted with cheese or what ever.

Where in Scotland are you? I could give you the list of places for Edinburgh if you like?

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi and welcome!

I'm in London but have travelled to Scotland a couple of times with no problems :) (Edinburgh and Inverness areas)

I have found Tesco to have a pretty good 'free from' range wherever I am.

Also, Have you looked at this British site for coeliacs?

Open Original Shared Link

seashellp Newbie
Hi and welcome!

I'm in London but have travelled to Scotland a couple of times with no problems :) (Edinburgh and Inverness areas)

I have found Tesco to have a pretty good 'free from' range wherever I am.

Also, Have you looked at this British site for coeliacs?

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for that Nikki have just put it in my favorites, everyone eating out seems helpful but was in Spain last week, took my gluten free passport which I downloaded onto my ipod and still had 3 days out of 7 on the loo.

Must admit tho the Carrefore over there was fantastic and had a whole load of thing with big letters on the front, sin gluten which helped so much. At least some of the time I knew I was safe!

Does it get easier the longer you are gluten free?

Leper Messiah Apprentice

Hey guys,

@ seashellp - Good to see a fellow Scot, w00p. I'm up in Aberdeenshire, yeah that would be handy if you don't mind, I sometimes have to visit our Edinburgh office. W0000t, I never even knew DS made pizzas, I'll need to rake my Tesco 24 some more!! I think they just have the DS bread/rolls in our store. I agree about the bread, it's soooo crumbly and small, but the DS rustic rolls are pretty much my stable for my lunch at the office.

Tesco do seem to be leading the way though as far as I'm concerned, they've got free from fish fingers which are handy for long term storage, just hope they expand their freezer range as I'm no gourmet cook and wouldn't have the time even if I was so quick and easy is always good. And the fact that there's a Tesco in every postcode I guess I don't have much grounds for complaint really. I keep meaning to check out asda and sainsbury's but if you're saying asda's p00p, I'll concentrate my efforts on raiding sainsbury's when I get the chance to drive into town.

Just out of interest how have you found your energy levels in general in the initial period of going gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GeordieLass Newbie
Hey guys,

@ seashellp - Good to see a fellow Scot, w00p. I'm up in Aberdeenshire, yeah that would be handy if you don't mind, I sometimes have to visit our Edinburgh office. W0000t, I never even knew DS made pizzas, I'll need to rake my Tesco 24 some more!! I think they just have the DS bread/rolls in our store. I agree about the bread, it's soooo crumbly and small, but the DS rustic rolls are pretty much my stable for my lunch at the office.

Tesco do seem to be leading the way though as far as I'm concerned, they've got free from fish fingers which are handy for long term storage, just hope they expand their freezer range as I'm no gourmet cook and wouldn't have the time even if I was so quick and easy is always good. And the fact that there's a Tesco in every postcode I guess I don't have much grounds for complaint really. I keep meaning to check out asda and sainsbury's but if you're saying asda's p00p, I'll concentrate my efforts on raiding sainsbury's when I get the chance to drive into town.

Just out of interest how have you found your energy levels in general in the initial period of going gluten free?

Hey Leper, I'm near Glasgow & can recommend the message board Nikki linked to. It also has a 'supplementary' board where info e.g. restaurant recommendations are saved so you can search it for Aberdeen, Edinburgh etc. I don't have a clue about Aberdeen but there are definitely some great places to eat in Edinburgh (inc a pizza place called mamma's pizzas which I adore!!!). There is a waitrose in Edinburgh apparently, I mean to search for it some time and stock up esp. if they have procelli bread as it is lush. Otherwise I like Sainsbury's. Still don't rate their bread but for biscuits, crackers it is OK. At my local in frozen they do a gluten-free lasagne, sheperd's pie, 2 kids of pizza, chicken kievs & fish fingers plus some ready made dietary specials things like tagiatelle. It varies what they have in though & I think they must be cutting down on the freefrom range, grrrr!

It all takes a bit of getting used to, you'll find somewhere you're happy to shop eventually. By the way Aldi are surprisingly good for labelling gluten-free so you don't have to suddenly start spending a fortune (thankfully!!!). I'm no gourmet either, but I do now make my own bread & muffins. The rubbish thing is no takeaways really. I always have gluten-free lasagne or 2 in the freezer for such emergencies!!!

Are you lactose free forever or just for a while? If it is just for a while it gets a lot easier when you can eat dairy.

Miss Abi Newbie

Hi, I live in Bristol. I was diagnosed 6 months ago...so still finding my feet and learning to accept the changes to my diet. I must admit I struggle at times and am having lows. I find Sainsburys to be pretty good - I read an article recently that Sainburys wanted to become a leading provider of gluten-free food and to experience what it's like being a coeliac, a team went gluten-free for 2 weeks...that's commitment. It'll be interesting to see what new foods they develop! I have found that Indian restaurants are the best, because Indians don't use wheat in their cooking. Avoid naans and anything deep fried eg. samosas. Thai tends to be ok too but always check because some of their noodles are wheat based and some of their sauces may contain gluten - waiting staff have always been excellent. And Cafe Rouge actually has a gluten-free menu! So a thumbs up to them.

I do find that our options are limited, but hopefully it'll improve as more and more people are diagnosed.

Have either of you struggled with your diagnosis? Any tips?

edinburgh Newbie
To date I know of no gluten-free restaurants in Scotland,

I live in Edinburgh also - Leith here.

The chap that owns Vittoria is very clued up, both Vittoria and La Favorita do Gluten Free - and they're rather tasty, too.

If you order pizza via Open Original Shared Link - you can add gluten-free as a comment, their staff handle it without question. If you want to be sure, just phone. The boss guy responds to email personally and seems to be gluten friendly.

Also, Mamma's pizza in grass market is rather good - even if their online ordering sucks.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Also, Mamma's pizza in grass market is rather good

:P

I can vouch for that!!

GeordieLass Newbie

For me they were really bad but it was because I wasn't eating enough because I didn't know what to eat & lunchtimes were especially bad. Also I had low iron so started taking a supp which helped, plus making sure to get enough calories & carrying snacks with you. Loads of salad = healthy but not filling. I found I was drinking a lot more sugary fizzy drinks and crisps. But it gets easier, I'm 2 and a bit years in & things are a LOT better.

GeordieLass Newbie
Does it get easier the longer you are gluten free?

Yes! although I still get stuck or make mistakes sometimes. Anyone further on to answer that? Like after 10 years? Its still weird though, some days I wake up and think 'do I have to do this gluten-free thing again today?? oh no!', I mean, it is life-long, do you ever forget there's something different about you?

Storm Apprentice

Hi guys...

I live in Essex & work in London.

Only diagnosed last week and severely struggling, as the day I was diagnosed, I flew to the USA for 16 days! I have not yet experienced a day in the UK as a sufferer as such.

I have found a Wholefoods store close to where I work so I shall be paying a visit there when I return.

Nikki69 Newbie

Hiya All,

I'm from Telford and recently diagnosed and still getting my head roynd it and finding my feet! :rolleyes:

I've started looking round at the supermarkets when I've done the family shopping but to be honest have played safe and stuck to plain meat/fish and salad this week lol

Hopefully when a book I ordered from Amazom arrived and I learn how to look for the hidden stuff and become an excellent chef ;) I will become more adventurous.

Looking forward to getting to know you and learning from you! :)

Take care Nikki

• 1 month later...
Twiggy Rookie

Hi Uk'ers, : :P i'm in Hartlepool down on the north east coast.I havent had my tests back yet to confirm but i suspect as my GP dose that i have ceoliac.I have very severe reactions and horrid gut symptoms,as well as the blistery dermatitis (had this for years)My worst fear is osteoporosis as i have very painful shin bones and joint pain.This hasnt been looked into yet as im only at the antibody blood test stage.I have an underactive thryroid and have been on med's for this for the last 6 yrs,i know from what ive read that its common to get ceoliac if you alrady have auto-immunities.last full blood count showed iron, folic acid and B12 were low and a positive result for periatal cell autoantibodies and i'm dead tired most of the time.I hope that they find something soon cause i feel like i'm loosing my grip so to speak.

I'm looking forward to getting gluten out of my life if thats whats causing all this fuss.I'm going to be keeping a close eye on you lot for support over the coming months

My one saving race is...wine dosent contain gluten :lol:

• 3 months later...
maimie Newbie
Hi guys,

• 1 year later...
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I don't know, if this will be read in time or not. I need some professional help from celiacs living in that area. I am trying to locate something, anything, near my hotel, wear I can eat something glutenfree in Edinburgh. That can be a restaurant or a supermarket, but it needs to be in walking distance, because I don't have a car and I've never been in Edinburgh, so I'm not sure, where I'm going.

I'm leaving on October 22nd and the hotel I'm staying at is the Edinburgh Thistle at 107 Saint James Centre, Edinburgh , Midlothian EH1 3SW. And even though, that's the address, that the person gave me, through which group we are all going, I've looked up the address up on mappoint and can't locate it. Help, please!

kareng Grand Master

I don't know, if this will be read in time or not. I need some professional help from celiacs living in that area. I am trying to locate something, anything, near my hotel, wear I can eat something glutenfree in Edinburgh. That can be a restaurant or a supermarket, but it needs to be in walking distance, because I don't have a car and I've never been in Edinburgh, so I'm not sure, where I'm going.

I'm leaving on October 22nd and the hotel I'm staying at is the Edinburgh Thistle at 107 Saint James Centre, Edinburgh , Midlothian EH1 3SW. And even though, that's the address, that the person gave me, through which group we are all going, I've looked up the address up on mappoint and can't locate it. Help, please!

Can you bring food in your checked luggage or carry- on from the states to the Uk? Or Germany? Wondering as my hub's dad lives in Germany & he would like to visit him if possible.

That is a very good question indeed, that I already asked myself, but for some reason forgot to ask. What are the restrictions? I know, you can't bring meat into the US. Is there something similar for the UK?

Because if there are no limitations, I just put some of the cans of fruit and tuna I have into my suitcase and some Mayo for the tuna.

I could also take the statement from my doctor with me about me being celiac and having to have a special diet, maybe that would help some, if they pull me out. I don't know. As I already mentioned, some help from locals would be greatly appreciated.

OK, I just posted the same message I posted here on the UK board. Let's see, who answers. I can update you then.

I had another thought though. I have a ton of Chex Rice cereal at home. Thanks to WIC, who throws us dead with so much cereal, we can't eat it, we now have like 15 boxes here. I also have a bunch of different kind of nuts. So I was wondering, if you guys think, it's a good idea to mix some of this up with glutenfree pretzels, popcorn, nuts, and chocolate morsels, kinda like a trail mix. No raisins, I don't like raisins. Then put it into zip lock bags and take it with me. Do you think, it will last for a week without being refrigerated? Hm, maybe if we have windowsills or a balcony, I could just put it outside. I mean, it's Scotland and we have almost winter. How warm can it be???

The other thing is, there is a recipe on the back of those Chex for Muddy Buddies. I absolutely adore them. I've made them before, but that was a while back and don't they have butter in them??? That means, they won't last long without being refrigerated, right? Maybe I just take my chances and if there's no refrigerator and no window sill, I just trash them.

Looking forward to some advice or ideas from you guys. It's very much appreciated.

Wow, I had a bunch of really helpful answers. I'm gonna print out a map of that area and all the restaurants and supermarkets, that got suggested by our UK celiac friends.

So cool!

Archived