Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Delayed Stomach Emptying With Celiac's Disease

7 posts in this topic

Hey all

Anyone ever heard of amoxicillin helping this condition. My 3 yr old is being tested again as she has it and reglin makes her sick but when she throws up it has food in it from app 15 hrs before...... They are going to retest to see if her emptying has gotten worse and he mentioned that they now say this helps....... just wondering before I put her on an antibodic every day.....

Thanks

Ads by Google:

My daughter was put on Erythromycin for a slow stomach for a couple of months because a side effect of the drug is increased gastrial motility. She's allergic to penicillin so Amoxicillin would not have been an option for her. Her dosage wasn't as high as what it would have been if she were taking it for some sort of infection. When we were done, I put her on a probiotic for a while. I told the doctor I was doing it and he gave me a head nod but he never suggested it prior to that.

We knew going in it would be for a couple of months. Did you get any sort of time frame as to how long he thinks she will be on it?

Hey all

Anyone ever heard of amoxicillin helping this condition. My 3 yr old is being tested again as she has it and reglin makes her sick but when she throws up it has food in it from app 15 hrs before...... They are going to retest to see if her emptying has gotten worse and he mentioned that they now say this helps....... just wondering before I put her on an antibodic every day.....

Thanks

Dr.s... jeesh never heard of amoxicillian working for this. Reglan did nothing for me still was getting sick. Somebody did mention to me to try vitamin b12 and vitamin k ask the dr. about it. There are shots that your lil girl can have if she has a really bad attack if b12 is something that will help.

Good luck

Thanks all --- no he did not give us a time frame but said we would wait to see what the test shows first and then decide.....

I am glad that at least somebody heard of this before I agree to it...

Bon

I think they call that gastroparesis. It is a condition some people with celiac get, and could be caused by nerve damage due to malabsorption of vitamins. Here is some info from the NIDDK below.

The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) conducts and supports basic and clinical research on many of the most serious diseases affecting public health.

What is gastroparesis?

Gastroparesis, also called delayed gastric emptying, is a disorder in which the stomach takes too long to empty its contents. Normally, the stomach contracts to move food down into the small intestine for digestion. The vagus nerve controls the movement of food from the stomach through the digestive tract. Gastroparesis occurs when the vagus nerve is damaged and the muscles of the stomach and intestines do not work normally. Food then moves slowly or stops moving through the digestive tract.

What is Gastroparesis?

What causes gastroparesis?

The most common cause of gastroparesis is diabetes. People with diabetes have high blood glucose, also called blood sugar, which in turn causes chemical changes in nerves and damages the blood vessels that carry oxygen and nutrients to the nerves. Over time, high blood glucose can damage the vagus nerve.

Some other causes of gastroparesis are

* surgery on the stomach or vagus nerve

* viral infections

* anorexia nervosa or bulimia

* medications

My son was tested for this a few months ago. At dinner, he would vomit his entire stomach that contained food from breakfast. His test showed boarder line slow emptying and boarder line acid reflux. My son only ate one egg and 1 oz of water. I knew he had acid reflux even if the test did not verify it. We put him on prevacid and I have not had a problem with him since.

Slow stomach emptying can also be a sign of scleroderma which can go along with celiac disease. Ask for the ANA test, and if it is positive, regardless of staining pattern, demand the anticentromere B test which is specific for the most common form of scleroderma. My diagnosis was delay because other autoimmune disease was masking the ANA anticentromere staining pattern. DQ8 is notorious for causing multiple autoimmune diseases. I have DQ8.