#1 Genna'smom

Genna'smom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hey all

Anyone ever heard of amoxicillin helping this condition. My 3 yr old is being tested again as she has it and reglin makes her sick but when she throws up it has food in it from app 15 hrs before...... They are going to retest to see if her emptying has gotten worse and he mentioned that they now say this helps....... just wondering before I put her on an antibodic every day.....

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

My daughter was put on Erythromycin for a slow stomach for a couple of months because a side effect of the drug is increased gastrial motility. She's allergic to penicillin so Amoxicillin would not have been an option for her. Her dosage wasn't as high as what it would have been if she were taking it for some sort of infection. When we were done, I put her on a probiotic for a while. I told the doctor I was doing it and he gave me a head nod but he never suggested it prior to that.

We knew going in it would be for a couple of months. Did you get any sort of time frame as to how long he thinks she will be on it?
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 mellajane

mellajane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hey all

Anyone ever heard of amoxicillin helping this condition. My 3 yr old is being tested again as she has it and reglin makes her sick but when she throws up it has food in it from app 15 hrs before...... They are going to retest to see if her emptying has gotten worse and he mentioned that they now say this helps....... just wondering before I put her on an antibodic every day.....

Thanks

Dr.s... jeesh never heard of amoxicillian working for this. Reglan did nothing for me still was getting sick. Somebody did mention to me to try vitamin b12 and vitamin k ask the dr. about it. There are shots that your lil girl can have if she has a really bad attack if b12 is something that will help.
Good luck
"There is always a Brighter side to every situation"

#4 Genna'smom

Genna'smom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thanks all --- no he did not give us a time frame but said we would wait to see what the test shows first and then decide.....

I am glad that at least somebody heard of this before I agree to it...

Bon

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

I think they call that gastroparesis. It is a condition some people with celiac get, and could be caused by nerve damage due to malabsorption of vitamins. Here is some info from the NIDDK below.

The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) conducts and supports basic and clinical research on many of the most serious diseases affecting public health.

What is gastroparesis?

Gastroparesis, also called delayed gastric emptying, is a disorder in which the stomach takes too long to empty its contents. Normally, the stomach contracts to move food down into the small intestine for digestion. The vagus nerve controls the movement of food from the stomach through the digestive tract. Gastroparesis occurs when the vagus nerve is damaged and the muscles of the stomach and intestines do not work normally. Food then moves slowly or stops moving through the digestive tract.
What is Gastroparesis?

What causes gastroparesis?

The most common cause of gastroparesis is diabetes. People with diabetes have high blood glucose, also called blood sugar, which in turn causes chemical changes in nerves and damages the blood vessels that carry oxygen and nutrients to the nerves. Over time, high blood glucose can damage the vagus nerve.

Some other causes of gastroparesis are

* surgery on the stomach or vagus nerve
* viral infections
* anorexia nervosa or bulimia
* medications—anticholinergics and narcotics—that slow contractions in the intestine
* gastroesophageal reflux disease
* smooth muscle disorders, such as amyloidosis and scleroderma
* nervous system diseases, including abdominal migraine and Parkinson’s disease
* metabolic disorders, including hypothyroidism

Many people have what is called idiopathic gastroparesis, meaning the cause is unknown and cannot be found even after medical tests.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 bear6954

bear6954

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

My son was tested for this a few months ago. At dinner, he would vomit his entire stomach that contained food from breakfast. His test showed boarder line slow emptying and boarder line acid reflux. My son only ate one egg and 1 oz of water. I knew he had acid reflux even if the test did not verify it. We put him on prevacid and I have not had a problem with him since.
DS 3 yrs old - DNA positive with DQ2 and biopsy confirmed celiacs in May 08
DD 5 yrs old - DNA negative (thank goodness)
DH - DNA negative
Me - DNA positive with DQ2, negative biopsy, but gluten free and feel great!

#7 H*****

H*****

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Slow stomach emptying can also be a sign of scleroderma which can go along with celiac disease. Ask for the ANA test, and if it is positive, regardless of staining pattern, demand the anticentromere B test which is specific for the most common form of scleroderma. My diagnosis was delay because other autoimmune disease was masking the ANA anticentromere staining pattern. DQ8 is notorious for causing multiple autoimmune diseases. I have DQ8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: