#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hi everyone
I love asian food, so a common meal for me is rice noodles. I also love korean sweet-potato starch noodles (Japchae) which (according to my local asian food store owner) are just starch and water. However, many of these foreign (often chinese-made) noodles seem to bother me. It may just be a sensitivity, or the way I prepare them, but could there be cc on the production lines somewhere? For a while I wasn't sure if it might be a sensitivity to sesame or my gluten-free soy sauce, but I had a bowl of plain noodles yesterday and my stomach seized up almost immediately.
So, does anyone else have this problem or know of CC issues? Maybe it depends on the brand?
thanks
Peggy

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Alex J

Alex J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

I'm pretty sure my son reacted to Vietnamese-made rice noodles. He was eating them for a month or so before we figured it out (this was soon after diagnosis). After that we decided to eat only foods from facilities we could call and discuss production conditions with. Which is a bummer because we used to like to try all kinds of foreign foods.

#3 lobita

lobita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

I just ate some homemade stirfry which I made with sweet potato starch noodles, and I had no reaction to it. It still could be the culprit in your case...maybe you got a batch that was cc'ed

#4 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I also have trouble with some brands of rice noodle and not others, and I've only bought one kind of sweet-potato noodle. so, it could be a cc thing, which is impossible to check with an asian country. I guess it might be best to keep trying different brands until you find the one that works.
thanks

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#5 Gobbie

Gobbie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:12 AM

Hi, I used to indulge on Asian food as well until my intolerances became rather severe though my family who aren't food sensitive still enjoy those foods. Chinese food often are mixture of everything, that is why Chinese brands are hard to trust and one of the reasons I completely avoid any food from there. Korean foods including sauces, despite looking pretty innocent, usually always contain red meat broth, wheat and rice. Plus the imported goods contain a ridiculously high amount of chemicals to make them long lasting which may upset sensitive stomachs like myself. You need to check the ingredients lists. Despite being labelled 'rice noodle' they usually contain gluten of some sort.
Hope this helps. x

#6 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

Besides cross contamination in the factory, often the noodles are coated with starch -- the labels which I can read must of, often just say starch but sometimes they will show the chinese characters for flour which is usually wheat.
When you get the potato noodles are they in liquid or dry? the liquid ones are usually safer and sometimes made with a mix of potato roots but primarily one called konnyaku in JApanese. You can see these advertised as diet noodles or shirataki -- sometimes made from tofu or soy beans.

I've also found rice noodles to be inconsistent. Sometimes they are fine and 100% rice but sometimes not -- even when the labels say 100% rice. There is a powdery coating sometimes. I tend to trust the Thai brands more than the Chinese but usually look for the Japanese brands since thats what I can read
ken

Hi everyone
I love asian food, so a common meal for me is rice noodles. I also love korean sweet-potato starch noodles (Japchae) which (according to my local asian food store owner) are just starch and water. However, many of these foreign (often chinese-made) noodles seem to bother me. It may just be a sensitivity, or the way I prepare them, but could there be cc on the production lines somewhere? For a while I wasn't sure if it might be a sensitivity to sesame or my gluten-free soy sauce, but I had a bowl of plain noodles yesterday and my stomach seized up almost immediately.
So, does anyone else have this problem or know of CC issues? Maybe it depends on the brand?
thanks
Peggy

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Gobbie

Gobbie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

Try YAM NOODLES or CAKES. They are normally found in Japanese food sections.
Usually in a transparent plastic bag like container with liquid inside.
They look like jellies. Yam cake is brown and noodles are white, the ones I have access to are anyway.

They need to be boiled but not for long so pretty much hassle free.
In fact it is a pretty much 'Free From' product.
Fat free and low in calorie = healthy / low fat option.
Hassle free = easy to cook.
Gluten free = finally!

Every reasons to be falling in love with them.

Plus Japnese products are more trusts worthy in comparision to Chinese or Korean products..
there is a good reason why they are a little bit more costy.

Hope it helps.
x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: