This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probably A Stupid Question

LandonL

LandonL Contributor

This will probably sound like a stupid question, but i'm going to ask it anyway. If we are supposed to treat gluten as "poison" (which I agree that it is, and we should view it this way) then why does the labeling system only require gluten free foods to contain 200 ppm or under to be considered gluten free. I thought any amount of gluten causes damage to our intestines, so how can we eat so called gluten free food and be safe? sorry new to this and just confused :( thanks for any help with this question in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

First of all, there are no stupid questions here. Every question and answer helps someone else, so please feel free to always ask!

This might answer your questions:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/1095/1/Rese...ents/Page1.html

This is also a must read! This is very intesting:

Open Original Shared Link

rinne Apprentice

Hi. :)

I don't think it is a stupid question, I think it is a good question.

I avoid all the highly processed gluten free foods as I react to them so perhaps that 200 ppm really only works for those who aren't so sensitive. Does this means that these foods could be causing damage with celiacs unaware of it? I don't know but these days I find I have little trust in the so called experts opinions.

Crystalkd Contributor
This will probably sound like a stupid question, but i'm going to ask it anyway. If we are supposed to treat gluten as "poison" (which I agree that it is, and we should view it this way) then why does the labeling system only require gluten free foods to contain 200 ppm or under to be considered gluten free. I thought any amount of gluten causes damage to our intestines, so how can we eat so called gluten free food and be safe? sorry new to this and just confused :( thanks for any help with this question in advance

I understand the question my question to you is: Do you have Celiac or are you Gluten intolerant? We have both here that's why I ask. That also effects the answer to your question. I believe there are two diffrent "rating" systems. I don't understand the diffrence as I have not really researched it.

If you have Ceilac then it is my understanding that any amount is damaging. There are some companies that use dedicated gluten-free lines and facilities. Therefore I think they are as safe as you can get. There are also companies that make gluten-free foods along with non gluten-free foods that are good at cleaning thier lines between runs. It takes time to learn all of that and it's a constant process.

Stick to your diet! Just remember even the best of us have "accidents" it happens. I have had very few reactions to things that are labeled gluten-free but I still do look at what's in them and who makes them.

I think there are some that just make all of thier stuff from scratch (or most of it) so that they can totally control what EXACTLY is in thier food. There are other's that make thier own stuff and buy packaged stuff too. It's all about what you feel is best for you and what you have the time to do.

Being new to the diet is hard. The first six weeks were the hardest for me. You will get used to it and then it won't seem so confusing. Just remember not to be too hard on yourself.

TES Newbie

Hi. :)

I don't think it is a stupid question, I think it is a good question.

I avoid all the highly processed gluten free foods as I react to them so perhaps that 200 ppm really only works for those who aren't so sensitive. Does this means that these foods could be causing damage with celiacs unaware of it? I don't know but these days I find I have little trust in the so called experts opinion

I agree with you rinne. As my body heals, it seems to me that when I am glutened, (usually cc) the reaction is less. But that doesn't mean that there isn't damage being done. And I react to things like distilled vinegar, which they say is safe. I don't consider myself to be super sensitive. It just needs to be zero levels of gluten in my body for me to be healthy. Maybe when I am completely healed I could tolerate more, but I don't think I want to take that chance.

LandonL Contributor
First of all, there are no stupid questions here. Every question and answer helps someone else, so please feel free to always ask!

This might answer your questions:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/1095/1/Rese...ents/Page1.html

This is also a must read! This is very intesting:

Open Original Shared Link

man, based on what I read in those articles, we could be in trouble even eating the gluten free labeled food available to us now, that scares the heck out of me.

PeachBlossoms Rookie

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived