13 replies to this topic

#1 sdore

sdore

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

Hi. I am trying to read these posts and I can't find one that goes directly with my question. Is sleep and gluten-free releated?

I have been diagnosed with the disease for about a month and since I have been on the diet I cannot get to sleep, and on last Saturaday I could not wake up?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:08 PM

You're going to need at least three months before you start to feel better. That seems to be what most experienced. Your body is trying to heal and clean all of the poisons out of your body. It will be a good year before you can really say your healthy. There is no instant "cure" for this disease. Before going gluten-free I had all kinds of sleep problems. Now I sleep pretty well and don't seem to need as much as I used to. It just takes time but things do get better.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#3 sdore

sdore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

Thanks!

I have always had trouble sleeping when I am stressed but now it is horrible!

I wake up at all hours in the night.

I take Melatonin ( a natural sleeping aid) but it seems to not work all the time.

So anyone else that reads this you may want to try Melatonin.

#4 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:32 PM

OooO be careful with melatonin!!! I (and a few others I know that took it) became completely irritable while on it!! To the point where you want to fork people's eyes out!!!!!

Note: I'm not using "Fork" in place of another 4-letter word starting with F. I mean literally, you want to grab a fork and jab somebody with it. :blink:

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:28 AM

AJ, you are meaning that it made you feel absolutely psychotic? It is good to know that it has that side-effect sometimes, before starting to use it!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

Imagine you had quit smoking after 40 years.... got the worst case of PMS..... it was a full moon.... your house burnt down....... everyone you care about died and you were accused of killing them....... and you hadn't slept for 2 weeks - ALL AT ONCE!!! That's about what it felt like, yes. I would highly discourage anyone from taking melatonin. however, I'm sure if everyone reacted that way with it, it would have been pulled off the market by now. So obviously, it is safe for some people. If you decide to try it, and get really irritable and mean, just realize it's probably the melatonin, and stop taking it. That would be my best advice. I've had good results with valerian root before - no weird side effects!

#7 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:26 AM

All too often, it seems the medical community tries to force the body into acting a certain way rather than helping it obtain a proper balance.

Anyway, perhaps you should look into Tryptophan. This is an essential amino acid (the body cannot manufacture it), so it has to come from food. It is apparently what the body uses to produce serotonin, melatonin and niacin.

We've all heard how eating turkey seems to make people sleepy, and that the Tryptophan is what does it. Other foods have Tryptophan too, such as bananas, dried dates, and peanuts to name a few. This is probably why I found I sleep better if I eat a handfull of peanuts about 30 minutes before trying to sleep.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#8 racergirl435

racergirl435

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

I am glad I found this thread. I have been gluten-free truly for the last 4 or 5 months. Within that time my mother in-law was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and so the family has been dealing with that too. On top of the stress from work, mom's cancer and my lovely new diet I am virtually not sleeping. Sometimes literally. I have always been a light sleeper but now it is to the point that every little noise wakes me up. I go days without any real sleep and when I do get sleep it's not for a long enough time period to matter. I am the type of person that requires a good 8 hours of sleep on a daily basis to be fully functional. I haven't gotten than in over 2 months and it is catching up with me. Seems I am constantly sick because I am so run down. I feel like I have been stretched to my limits and I do feel like I want to stick a fork in somebody (mostly myself at this point) and that's without melatonin. :o Anyway, I finally made an appointment with my doctor and am hoping she has a solution (natural or chemical doesn't matter to me at this point. Hell, I've even considered smoking p** at this point). Anything...I'm desperate as I can feel my marriage suffering from it all. I never thought about tryptophan and didn't know some of the other foods. I will try that and see if it has any effect.

#9 Cindy H

Cindy H

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:19 AM

I am the complete opposite. All my body wants to do is sleep. As I sit here I wish I could be having a nap, but I have to start teaching again in 10 minutes. Some nights I sleep as long as 12 hours.

Cindy

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

Has everyone had their thyroids checked? Sleeping or not can be a symptom.
Laura
Michigan

#11 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

Yeah my sleep patterns are always insanely screwed up. Everyday, it chooses for itself, regardless of just how gluten-free I am. Some days, like today, I can sleep about 24 hours a day and would probably still feel tired .. Then there is some days I manage to go on 3 hours of sleep without falling over.

Its odd, but .. I know its because of Celiac..

I dont think it helped you any, but thats ok.

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#12 Forest1

Forest1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

Hi, I find i pass out in an instance, for example watching tv,
i am so interested in the show i am watching but my body turns off suddenly.
And when i go to bed, i cant remember a dream, been like that for over 10 years.
On the occassion i would remember a dream very well, im guessing it related to
something i ate before, and i will make a note of it next time it happens to
share that a particular food is good for sleeping. but i imagine you all have info on this
already, im new to this topic, ive tried to figure it out for years and just less then a week
ago i found out. So glad to find you all here. tks

#13 i canary

i canary

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:43 AM

This is has been my experience also. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when I will sleep thru the night and when like today I wake up over and over again. I have had nights when I didn't sleep at all, but functioned all day just fine.

Yeah my sleep patterns are always insanely screwed up. Everyday, it chooses for itself, regardless of just how gluten-free I am. Some days, like today, I can sleep about 24 hours a day and would probably still feel tired .. Then there is some days I manage to go on 3 hours of sleep without falling over.

Its odd, but .. I know its because of Celiac..

I dont think it helped you any, but thats ok.

~lisa~

“This email is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws.”

#14 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

Before going gluten-free I would get sleepy in the daytime a lot...and every time we'd be in the car I would get sleepy...honestly, I never wanted to drive longer distances because I was afraid I'd fall asleep driving. But then at night I'd never be able to get to sleep early, and every so often I have a night where I can never fall asleep. My body will be tired, but I just can't doze off. This still happens. But one interesting thing I've noticed since going gluten-free....I dream more, and now I member the dreams. Before this, I honestly thought I never dreamed, or at least, I could never remember anything at all, and that seemed weird.
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: