9 replies to this topic

#1 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

My daughter was diagnosed in 2006 with Celiac disease. She's been doing well until just a few months ago. Part of the problem is her deodorant...she's getting swollen red, tremendously itchy rashes with solid white deodorants/antiperspirants but gels don't seem to bother her ... yet. What's the difference? What's a recommended gel/roll-on brand that doesn't cause rashes? She has trouble with lotions as well. I'm not sure what ingredient I should be looking for that isn't obviously labeled "wheat..."? Hmmm....?!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

This might help:

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Just a thought--I react to many deodorants, but I don't think it's because of gluten. I've become more sensitive all the way around since going gluten-free, and this includes my skin.

What works very well for me is a crystal deodorant. I've been using it now for probably 3 years, and I've not had any itching or anything. The brand I use is Thai. It's widely available and a stick lasts for a very long time.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

I noticed that a gluten free company Savonnerie makes deodorant. I haven't used it or anything so I'm not endorsing it. I just noticed it when I was ordering their lotion.

#5 raisin

raisin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

I have a large number of allergies, along with skin (and "normal") gluten reactions. I also had pretty bad reactions to every "normal" antiperspirant and deodorant i tried.

First, I tried the Savonnerie one, and of course like all Sav products it is safe.. but powders are not so good for just everyone, as it gets on your cloths. I didn't like it, so I kept looking.

The Most perfect things I could find : Nutribiotic brand deodorant sticks/solids. It doesn't stop sweat, but it leaves you smelling great, and contains aloe, so it really helped my skin heal.The whole "you still sweat" concept.. Not a down side once I found out that regular antiperspirants only prevent sweating by clogging your pores with something gross.

#6 matty10

matty10

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

I also have that problem with deodorants. I used to use Almay, but it is hard to find in some places. I have recently started using Dove unscented deodorant and it works great. I have not had any itchiness or break outs.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

I also use the deodorant crystal. Not an antipersperant (but sweat is a good thing, honestly), but forms a barrier that prevents the bacteria which cause BO from growing in any quantity for about 24 hours. Works great for me. (You do have to wet the stick or skin before applying it.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm guessing this is more a specific-to-me thing than a celiac thing in general, but for what it's worth:

I couldn't tolerate deodorants/antiperspirants (except the mineral salt kind) for several years - by trial, error and luck I discovered that if I have 'too much' vitamin C (like the amount in a regular multivitamin) I would get hive-like reactions to deodorant/antiperspirant (roll-on or stick, even if fragrance free). Once I readjusted my vitamin line-up, I could tolerate fragrance free deodorant/antiperspirant.

As a kid I once got hives from too much Tang in one weekend!

Good luck, hopefully you will solve the puzzle with your daughter.
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#9 Juliefleurs

Juliefleurs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

My daughter was diagnosed in 2006 with Celiac disease. She's been doing well until just a few months ago. Part of the problem is her deodorant...she's getting swollen red, tremendously itchy rashes with solid white deodorants/antiperspirants but gels don't seem to bother her ... yet. What's the difference? What's a recommended gel/roll-on brand that doesn't cause rashes? She has trouble with lotions as well. I'm not sure what ingredient I should be looking for that isn't obviously labeled "wheat..."? Hmmm....?!!

#10 Juliefleurs

Juliefleurs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

My brother's doc told him to try milk of magnesia. I thought it sounded gross, but I was getting itchy rashes under my arms as well. It stops all odor. There may still be some wetness, but I haven't noticed that so far. Take a cotton ball and just dab a tiny bit under each arm. I promise it works and my rash is gone. I don't smell either! Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: