This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Road Trippin'

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

First, let me preface by saying, I do NOT like fast food...or crap food from chains. I can't even step in a McD's because of the smell. I am truly a foodie at heart and love real food, made from scratch. My only exception ever is for road trips...

Next month, we are taking a 7-hour road trip to Pittsburgh for my cousin's wedding. We usually take road trips every summer to my "home" in Atlanta, and would always stop at Waffle House (i know...crap food, but for some reason i loved it, my secret guilty pleasure!!!), and Cracker Barrel, so we could sit somewhere other than a fast food place.

my question is..now that I am Celiac...where can I go that is safe. I feel like maybe I can do things like Cracker Barrel, Denny's, IHOP if I get like a baked potato with butter. burrito bowl at Chiptole. But is there anything else?

I guess Waffle House is out :( Maybe the grits will be safe? But then gosh..maybe the butter and cheese would have gluten in it? argh!!

I am already planning on bringing lots of my own snacks, etc...but since we have a 4-year old who will need to get out of the car for a change of scenery, I want to know any possible options.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LandonL Contributor
First, let me preface by saying, I do NOT like fast food...or crap food from chains. I can't even step in a McD's because of the smell. I am truly a foodie at heart and love real food, made from scratch. My only exception ever is for road trips...

Next month, we are taking a 7-hour road trip to Pittsburgh for my cousin's wedding. We usually take road trips every summer to my "home" in Atlanta, and would always stop at Waffle House (i know...crap food, but for some reason i loved it, my secret guilty pleasure!!!), and Cracker Barrel, so we could sit somewhere other than a fast food place.

my question is..now that I am Celiac...where can I go that is safe. I feel like maybe I can do things like Cracker Barrel, Denny's, IHOP if I get like a baked potato with butter. burrito bowl at Chiptole. But is there anything else?

I guess Waffle House is out :( Maybe the grits will be safe? But then gosh..maybe the butter and cheese would have gluten in it? argh!!

I am already planning on bringing lots of my own snacks, etc...but since we have a 4-year old who will need to get out of the car for a change of scenery, I want to know any possible options.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lol, oh foodie you have got to be from the south talkin bout road trips ;) now your speaking a missouri boys language :) I'm not positive but I have heard that cracker barrel had several gluten free options.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Oh yeah, we plan all our trips around food! I know this is fast food but I have had good luck at Wendy's with their chili and baked potato. I love diners but there is not much I could have at one now. I will order a cheese burger with no bun if I can see the kitchen.

I haven't traveled too much since dx. I usually take my own food if we go to Indy, a 3 hour drive. Eat at my kid's houses while there or the Wendy's. Uno Pizza has gluten-free pizza now. Next time I'm in Indy, maybe. I hear it's good.

foodiegurl Collaborator

Oh, yea, and being that the only meat I eat is fish, it really limits my food choices...so no burgers, or anything like that.

mamaw Community Regular

I don't know where you will be staying in Pittsburgh but here are a few choices......20 minutes north of Pgh . Smokey Bones, Uno's Chicago Grill, Longhorn Steakhouse, Outback,Boston Market, Red Robin, Quaker Steak & Lube, The Original Pancake House, Eat-N-Park....Whole Foods, Mitchell's Fish ( Downtown) Glutteny in Squirrel Hill is a gluten-free bakery.

hth

mamaw

foodiegurl Collaborator
lol, oh foodie you have got to be from the south talkin bout road trips ;) now your speaking a missouri boys language :) I'm not positive but I have heard that cracker barrel had several gluten free options.

Yes, living for a long part of my life in Atlanta, I will miss my Waffle House! Brings back great college memories =)

I would think rice, baked potato, plain veggies and the catfish would be oK at Cracker Barrel, but wow, I will miss the corn bread. Maybe I will call them before our trip.

And i love the corn cakes and pumpkin pancakes at IHOP, but I am guessing those are out too.

Mamaw...thanks for the Pittsburgh suggestions!! Other than road trips, I am not much of a chain restaurant person, but it is nice to know that many of them can easily accommodate people who need to eat gluten-free! I would love to know of some unique, local places that would be safe to eat at though!

Lisa Mentor

I have eaten in Waffle House. I generally would not recommend it due to a high likelihood of cross contamination. I ask them to cook my eggs bacon or hash browns on a clean area of the grill and I watch. Most employees have been very accommodating and concerned about doing everything right.

I tip well for their efforts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Here's a thread on cracker barrel that might help: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...er+Barrel\

It's 2 years old but since their menu never changes I'm guessing the information is still reasonably accurate.

heatherjane Contributor

If you can stand Wendy's, they have chilli and baked potatoes. (I know you say you only eat fish, so that may rule out the chilli, but just fyi. :) )

I just went on a 9 hour road trip, and instead of stopping at restaurants, I just packed a cooler of things that I knew were safe. You can take along all kinds of stuff: gluten-free bread, hummus, apples, Larabars, peanut butter, raw veggies, boiled eggs, etc. It was cheaper and healthier, and I saved travel time by not sitting around in a restaurant for an hour. Of course, it's no Waffle House, but at least you don't have to worry about making the rest of your vacation a extended trip to the bathroom. :D

Crystalkd Contributor

As far as waffle house. If I decide to eat there I sit where I can clearly see the cook and order an omlette and hasbrowns after I carefully explain my "allergy." I usually don't have an issue. The last time I went to Carker Barrel it was VERY hard to find something to eat and was pretty much told that I shouldn't eat there. IHOP: Be careful!! Once agian I'd say an omlette but make sure they don't put batter in there. Chipotle's burrotio bowls are cool.

foodiegurl Collaborator

The way out there, I will most likely pack a cooler with pasta salad, sandwiches (all gluten-free, of course), fruit, veggies, hummus, etc... It is the way back that will be more difficult, since we are staying at a hotel, and there won't be anywhere for me to cook, but yes, I could do a bunch of snacky food. With a 4-year old, we will need to take a break from the car for sure ;)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
The way out there, I will most likely pack a cooler with pasta salad, sandwiches (all gluten-free, of course), fruit, veggies, hummus, etc... It is the way back that will be more difficult, since we are staying at a hotel, and there won't be anywhere for me to cook, but yes, I could do a bunch of snacky food. With a 4-year old, we will need to take a break from the car for sure ;)

If you're making a pasta salad, I recommned that you do a test run. I find that my pasta requires a great deal more dressing that the gluten kind did, the rice just soaks it right up.

foodiegurl Collaborator
If you're making a pasta salad, I recommned that you do a test run. I find that my pasta requires a great deal more dressing that the gluten kind did, the rice just soaks it right up.

True. I made some a few weeks ago, with Tinkyada pasta, and added chick peas, tomato, mozzarella, basil and olives. As a dressing, I just used some olive oil and balsamic dressing. I had a non-gluten-free friend over, and she couldn't even tell the difference from "normal" pasta :)

kbtoyssni Contributor

If you bring a picnic-style lunch, you can stop at all the rest stops to let the kiddo run off some energy. It's probably better than stopping at a restaurant since you can actually run around. My family always did this when I was a kid, and we weren't even gluten-free then.

Snubu Newbie

Hi! The Outback Steakhouse (an Australian chain) offers a gluten-free menu! Check out the locations (www.outback.com). I have never been in one of them, since I am a foodie too, but would now definitely consider it.

Wenmin Enthusiast

I just visited Cracker Barrel in Baton Rouge last week. Their new menu choices included low carb options. They offered naked chicken strips, baked fish, hamburger without the bun, etc. The chicken strips with honey mustard dipping sauce was awesome. With each entree they offered 3 side items. The hashbrown casserole and baby carrots were great. Did not care for the green beans.... I did not get glutened. BUT, I did have biscuit withdrawls......

Another option when traveling would be steak houses. Western Sizzlin offers a salad bar, baked potatoes with the fixins, and any cut of steak (of course, not breaded). This has been my favorite lately when eating out locally...Just don't forget to tell the waitress "no bread on the plate" when ordering....

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
True. I made some a few weeks ago, with Tinkyada pasta, and added chick peas, tomato, mozzarella, basil and olives. As a dressing, I just used some olive oil and balsamic dressing. I had a non-gluten-free friend over, and she couldn't even tell the difference from "normal" pasta :)

Oh, yeah, it takes like 24-48 hours to dry up, which I learned the hard way. Basically I go way overboard with the dressing and it's usually just a bit dry the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
Flourgirl55 Newbie

What I do on road trips (especially if I want more than fast food) is to check out the menus ahead of time and see what looks like it will have the right food for me, my husband, and my 5 year old, who all like very different things. I call ahead of time, too, if it's not listed. A good place to research is Open Original Shared Link, which will cut out all the fast food chains and just have the good local ones. Some chains too, but not like McDonalds or anything like that.

foodiegurl Collaborator

Thanks for the link.

We leave Friday. I am actually making food for the way there...pasta salad, sandwiches, hummus and chips, so that takes care of the ride there :)

mattathayde Apprentice
Hi! The Outback Steakhouse (an Australian chain) offers a gluten-free menu! Check out the locations (www.outback.com). I have never been in one of them, since I am a foodie too, but would now definitely consider it.

i looked at their menu and its slightly disappointing, their fries re even glutened and they say bailieys is a gluten-free after diner drink but its enough to make me happy i guess... and they have a gluten-free brownie because it is flourless. as to the salads and stuff you just need to ask no crutons and make sure it is mixed in a separate bowl

i know burger king has their grilled chicken salad that is gluten-free and i think all of their dressings are and you could just get it w/o chicken, the salad and fries was a lot of food for me to stuff down

-matt

Archived