This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Planning My Cheat Day

Blessings

Blessings Explorer

I have resigned from my job as of June 1st and am planning a cheat day. I am stopping at Fargo's Pizza and having a few bites of pizza then on to BK and a couple bites of a chicken sandwich then on to Sonic and a couple bites of a sloppy burger and possibly some original crusty skin from a piece of KFC chicken. I am not taking my hubby or kids and I am going to enjoy each bite. They can have my leftovers when I get home. My hubby bets that I don't make it home b4 I have to GO. I will then live with my two weeks of misery and go back on this rediculous diet and make the best of it till the next time I get accidentaly glutened.

Anyone else get so fed up and tempted and plan their cheat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tallforagirl Rookie
I have resigned from my job as of June 1st and am planning a cheat day. I am stopping at Fargo's Pizza and having a few bites of pizza then on to BK and a couple bites of a chicken sandwich then on to Sonic and a couple bites of a sloppy burger and possibly some original crusty skin from a piece of KFC chicken...

If I was going to cheat it wouldn't be with junk food. I don't know about Fargo's Pizza or Sonic, but any time I've ever had KFC or BK I was left wondering why I bothered. It just tastes of salt, fat and sugar.

If I were going to cheat it'd be brioche bread, danish pastries, baklava or a delicious croissant. For most if not all the food items you've mentioned I can lay my hands on a gluten-free alternative that's just as, if not more, tasty.

It'll likely do no long term harm to your health, but I hope it's really worth getting sick.

BTW you'll likely get blasted on here for mentioning the dirty "C" word (cheating that is, not celiac).

AnneM Apprentice

Are you kidding me???? I would never knowingly put anything in my mouth that had gluten in it.

I can't understand why in the world you would even consider doing that. I think of gluten as poison, because that is exactly what it is POISON.

There are so many good foods that we can eat, I don't even miss the gluten filled food.

You really need to realize that food just isn't worth losing your health for.

When you have celiac disease there is no such thing as a cheat day! :angry:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Plan on making myself sick for weeks, I don't think so. Why in the world would you be making plans for that?!!!!!!! Perhaps instead you could plan on doing some shopping and making yourself a nice gluten free pizza and a chocolate cake. Or you could plan a 2 or 3 week stint of 'me days' of relaxation and doing stuff you haven't had time for instead of planing for weeks of illness. Or you could plan a trip and prepare for it by formulating and purchasing gluten free treats for the trip. If you are certain that you are going to do this I would contact your local hospital and check and make sure that the hospital is able to feed you gluten free in case your 'vacation' from the gluten free diet lands you there.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I cannot believe you would do that to yourself. I am not trying to come off as a witch but this is just not smart at all. The after effects far weigh out the positive effects. We have all been tempted but I have never done something like this....

NorthernElf Enthusiast

:huh: Are you new to all this ? When I first started out I was in denial for awhile, and I was also less sensitive.

The idea of a cheat day now is ludicrous.

I'm thinking maybe you are one of the less symptomatic ones ? For me to do what you plan is so not worth it - it would be like deciding to have a flu/hangover mixed in with some arthritic like pain and asking for a few days of fatigue and crabbiness ! Not to mention some other unhappy digestive symptoms...

I definitely don't plan cheat days - but I do plan treat days. It can get frustating having to be gluten-free in a very gluteny world. I will pig out on shrimp cockatil or go to Dairy Queen and treat myself to a sundae. I scan recipezaar.com for some gluten free recipes to try and splurge on the ingredients for something 'fancy' (I like to cook). I'll order some gluten-free stuff online to try. Heck, sometimes it just feels like a splurge buying some gluten-free stuff 'cause it's so expensive !!!

Like others here I would urge you to reconsider. The gluten-free diet for us is not like a weight loss diet where you can cheat without repurcussions. Cheating for us damages us...plain & simple. There was a time - when I first started - when I would 'throw caution to the wind" and cheat...and suffer. I can be very stubborn ! ;) But it came down to pretty much punishing myself so why do it ???

Another thing to think of is your credibility. Sounds weird but it took me quite awhile to make those around me understand that I can't cheat, that I must eat gluten-free or be ill - I'm not talking family, they definitely understand I get sick, I mean friends & co workers. If they were to see me eat gluten, they'd dismiss the whole thing...they also probably wouldn't see me sick and understand the after effects ! I actually have come across some people who go gluten-free as a weight loss diet and that doesn't help our credibility either - we need to be gluten-free for life.

samcarter Contributor

Nope, I've never wanted to cheat. I've unknowingly poisoned myself (not checking on Clif bars first, eating a Reese's mini peanut butter egg, without checking to see if they contain wheat or gluten), but I've never even wanted to sit down with a slice of bread or a piece of pizza.

I understand you're frustrated at having to live a new lifestyle. Gluten is so much a part of our normal comfort foods, that it's natural to turn to them when we're under stress. But you can find new comfort foods, ones that are gluten free, and even "celebration" foods, if your "cheat day" is a celebration of some kind.

Personally, if i wanted to treat myself, I'd go to a local restaurant that understands gluten issues, order a nice 14 oz strip steak, roasted asparagus, have some Mary's Gone Crackers with fresh butter on the side, and then pop open a pint of Coconut ice cream. No gluten issues, and all delicious.

Once I adjusted to the gluten-free diet I didn't see it as ridiculous, but a healthy way of eating that keeps me from feeling sick, bloated, and subhuman. Now I see the gluten-filled diet, or the Standard American diet, as ridiculous. Gluten in everything--no variety.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest simrnz

I would advise you to cheat wisely, like don't go for junk food and lots of them. You can dine gluten free fast food i.e. Chick-fil-a's gluten-free menu or Ice Dream

RiceGuy Collaborator

I will echo what others have stated. I don't believe any food is worth days of misery afterward. Besides, as Tallforagirl said, there are so many yummy gluten-free foods you could enjoy, and then NOT get sick, there doesn't seem to be much reason to torture yourself.

However, I suppose for some, there is a lingering desire for gluten. For some it's even an addiction. So if getting sick is the only way for you to strengthen your resolve to remain gluten-free and healthy, then by all means, go have your gluten fix. Hopefully then you'll realize it just isn't worth it.

Reminds me of the first time I had Tinkyada since going gluten-free. I was sooo looking forward to it. Made the meal extra special. It looked great, smelled great, and tasted great. Even better than wheat pasta. However, I got a bit of a surprised, because the gluten induced high was absent. I mean, I really expected to be in a pasta-induced state of bliss, and though all the yumminess was there, I was like "hey, where are the bells? Where's the angelic chorus, and the harps?". Turns out, researchers have surmised that gluten has an opioid effect on the brain - attaching to the same receptor sites as heroine. That explains the gluten withdrawal too. Apparently, the milk protein casein also has such an effect. No wonder pizza is so popular...

jklatt Rookie

I can't believe anyone would ever want to knowingly consume gluten when they know they have celiac or are sensitive. I recently accidentally got glutened and it's been almost 5 days and I"m still not feeling great! No way would I do that, plus all the cravings and depression that will go along with it. I'm with the others...you should find another way to treat yourself! Maybe all the money you would spend on the gluten splurge you could use on a new pair of shoes or a treat that doesn't make you ill and want to die for a week or more. Think twice about that one :-)

miles2go Contributor

Never cheated [shudder], but dream of cheat days often. I channel it into making what I'm dreaming of, since I love to cook. I think that's a pretty cool menu that you've got there and sometimes it's just good for the soul to eat some fast food once in a while. The pizza is so easy to make gluten-free that it shouldn't even be part of a cheat day, it should just be something that you have regularly so you don't feel odd. :rolleyes: I use Bette Hagman's recipe and make up at least four shells at a time then pop them in the freezer to make pizza later. The BK chicken sandwich should be easy enough and the sloppy burger, hmmm, you know gluten-free hamburger buns are not that hard to make if you have the English muffin rings and they're really good. I used to fold the tin-foil into circles until I got a set recently. The KFC looked the hardest to replicate, but I found this.

Open Original Shared Link

Has anyone tried it with gluten-free flour? It looks easy enough and our fryer is dedicated gluten-free and sits on the counter all the time.. <= Heck, just doing that makes so much of a difference.

Anyhoo, I hope you'll consider learning how to make at least some of these so you can 'cheat' anytime and not be having to worry if you're going to have to pay for it later.

Margaret

mamaw Community Regular

Why in the world would you want to go off this lifestyle when you know it will make you sick? Well, that is just SICK!!!!!! This lifestyle is not a horrible diet, I think you are just craving things that you haven't found a sub for or at least I hope that is the problem. If you cheat once you will cheat again. Just like a school child. SO if that is what you want to do to your body then I would say just don't do the diet because a speck of bread is tooooo much.& for all the other times you try to eat gluten-free is worthless & you are wasting your money.

I have kids that resist foods daily & they can do it.

If you are craving something let us know & we can direct you to a gluten-free clone...

I don't mean to be cruel but when someone has health issues & needs to be gluten-free it needs to be 100%.....

blessings

mamaw

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I am rotfip (rolling on the floor in pain) just thinking about how you are going to feel.

I use to cheat but have now been a non-cheater (as gluten free as humanly possible in this gluten contaminated world, lol) for two years. I feel way to good to even want to cheat. Not even one little bite.

Be sure to post how you feel after you do this. Hope you find it worth the pain.

Kaycee Collaborator
I have resigned from my job as of June 1st and am planning a cheat day. I am stopping at Fargo's Pizza and having a few bites of pizza then on to BK and a couple bites of a chicken sandwich then on to Sonic and a couple bites of a sloppy burger and possibly some original crusty skin from a piece of KFC chicken. I am not taking my hubby or kids and I am going to enjoy each bite. They can have my leftovers when I get home. My hubby bets that I don't make it home b4 I have to GO. I will then live with my two weeks of misery and go back on this rediculous diet and make the best of it till the next time I get accidentaly glutened.

Ah Blessings, I'm forever planning my own cheat party. Whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes I just want to feel miserable, I don't know why. But that is as far as it goes. Just the planning, as really I don't want to be sick as a dog? Never.

I take it that your comments are tongue in check, and I see you have just been accidentally glutened, and that is when I most want to go off the diet, that is the time when I feel such a failure and think what the heck. Misery loves company. When you're down, what difference does a little bit further down make. But in having said that, I don't give in to the feelings of eating more gluten, but I just ride out the storm.

Sounds like you have an understanding husband. A bit like mine, he knows my symptoms down pat, and just jollies me along when I ask for a bit of his pizza, he reminds me that he doesn't want to have to hold my head over the toilet bowl, as he has a sympathetic stomach and it would get him going. Enough to put anyone of I reckon.

I guess you are at a crossroads in your life, just having resigned from your job, I know if I resigned my stability would be all over the place and my feelings everywhere.

So Blessings, hope you are feeling better from the glutening.

Cathy

pnltbox27 Contributor

hey blessings im with you all the way!!! you and only you know how your body will react. if its worth it for you , go for it. i personally am trying really hard to get back on the diet. been gluten free for the last week, but i am one of those that have no severe symptoms , so i completely understand the reaction of the others, my heart goes out to those who when glutened are affected so hard.

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer

Don't do it.. I cheated recently and my stomach hurts so bad now..

I don't think the tacos & hamburgers were really worth it in the end..

I think..I have put my health back 2 months, because I ate the food.

This lifestyle is miserable and the foods lacks something really...

Never eat gluten, if possible....

Lisa Mentor

Maybe Blessing was just dreaming about a day when she can cheat and get away with it. I bet most of us have had similar thought at least once during our traveled road.

If I were to cheat, it wouldn't be for pizza or at a Sonic. It would be at a very, very expensive French restaurant and I'd probably blow a whole weeks salary and do it up right!. Now that might be worth it, once.

mamaw Community Regular

To those who feel cheating is okay because they have little or no ill effects I have one question... Can you actually see into your intestines to see what is going on in there?Can you see if a cancer is brewing ? I'm just curious .... Cheating is never worth the price of health. Sorry I'm gluten-free for life the only way to go in my book.

Plus how does one teach a child not to be a quiter or a cheater if the adult can't walk the walk... Again I'm curious....

blessings

GFinDC Veteran

Sounds like you have been watching too many fast food commercials with sublingual (subliminal) messages. I don't know, standing in a long line at the burger joint, or waiting in the car line at the drive thru with the exhaust fumes to whet my appetite isn't really getting me going. And doing that 2 or 3 times in a day is not appealing. I kind of like the idea of planning a gluten-free treat day though. Maybe an Outback Steakhouse gluten-free steak, or P.F. Chang's Chinese or some such. There is a dessert ideas thread in the food forum I think. If you did a gluten-free treat day you could share it with the relates too, which might or might not be nice, I don't know. Maybe if they paid eh? :D Hmmm, I guess I felt like it would be simpler to cheat during the first few months of the correct way of eating (gluten-free diet), but once I got used to it I didn't feel like that anymore. A treat day sounds ok though, long as it's gluten-free treats.

I actually ate some chocolate with dairy in it last Sunday and a little bit of cheese. Took me 4 days to get over that adventure, getting to where I could sleep again. Not all that fun really. Hey, maybe you can think of a controversial thread subject sometime? :lol:

I hope you can find another way to celebrate Blessings, something that makes you happy and feel good too.

pnltbox27 Contributor

To those who feel cheating is okay because they have little or no ill effects I have one question... Can you actually see into your intestines to see what is going on in there?Can you see if a cancer is brewing ?

i can only speak for myself , but i am really having a hard time committing to the lifestyle BECAUSE i dont have any ill effects.i am in no way saying i wish i suffered like so many do , just putting my 2 cents in ...for what its worth

Chrissyb Enthusiast

Dreaming is one thing but I would never eat anything with gluten in it on purpose. I know how I feel when I get it on accident now why would I do that to myself.

Dream all you want Blessings but please just dream.

NonHuman Newbie

I am jealous.

The last time I cheated was with pizza I think. I don't remember if it was worth it and I haven't felt the need to cheat again. If you're anything like me this will end up being a glorious day and then you'll never, ever want to eat any of that again :-p

I feel it wrong for anyone to chastise you about this; you know what you're doing. I completely understand this decision and hope you enjoy as much as you can before the sickness sets in.

Why not go purchase everything you want to eat and bring it home so you can eat it there and have more time to enjoy everything. Driving is kind of a buzzkill. Depending on how you think of it though, driving between eating could be a good thing. You'll likely put less gluten in your system overall because your symptoms will start before you've had too much, but then you don't get to enjoy everything you wanted to.

Do you think ipecac would get it out of your system faster or just make you more nauseous than you already would be? In my experience throwing up is always the best so you don't have diarrhea for days, but if you hate vomiting you might want to purchase some anti-nausea medication beforehand.

NonHuman Newbie

Also, you might want to invest in some sort of cleanse just to get rid of it as completely as possible so you aren't suffering for months.

I've been sick for the past few days for reasons unknown (suspecting cadbury creme egg) and am using the Isagenix cleanse. I don't typically use Isagenix, but we have a bunch of it at my house because my mom does. It honestly makes me feel more nauseated while I'm drinking it but after about an hour I feel better and overall it's seemed to help.

Tallforagirl Rookie
To those who feel cheating is okay because they have little or no ill effects I have one question... Can you actually see into your intestines to see what is going on in there?Can you see if a cancer is brewing ?

i can only speak for myself , but i am really having a hard time committing to the lifestyle BECAUSE i dont have any ill effects.

I know where you're coming from. I must've looked at my blood test results and biopsy report 20 times and looked everywhere on the internet to try to find something that would tell me it's possible for both tests to be false-positive. It's only when I had the positive EMA blood test, which is as near 100 per cent accurate as you get, that it finally sunk in.

If you think about it, there are plenty of things that can go wrong with your health and you might not know until they get to an advanced stage. Those of us without (many) symptoms who've been tested for whatever reason and discovered we have celiac disease, are very lucky. It's a chance to affect your future health for the better, and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Having said that, I believe one day of "cheating" is unlikely to be very damaging in the long term.

mamaw Community Regular

pnltbox27

Everyone's knowledge is valued here.....you say you have no ill effects from gluten. I understand that many never feel the effects of gluten or being glutened but at some point someone ( doctor or yourself) found something was not right with your body be it anemia, thyroid issues or a ton of other issues. You loose years in life if you have celiac & do not follow the diet 100%, this is a well documented fact...& again not knowing what you can't see doesn't make it okay. And I honestly don't think anyone ever died from not having wheat in their diet.

Yes It is very trying at first when starting out. It takes will-power plus. We all have been taught how to eat from birth. This is part of our being & having to change routes after years of feeding ourselves is a major issue. But I guess one must weigh the pros & cons of wellness.

I have a friend who chose not to follow the diet only when it was convienient & they were at home. Recently after about a year of this , they just had several feet of colon removed & may have to have chemo as well. Now all this time they never felt anything, no gas no bloating, no Big D no C, nothing,,,, felt nothing. I would love for you to speak to them now.....cancer doesn't always come with a big bang sometimes it sneaks in very quietly & does its damage before you have a chance to know what hit you. Think of an invader......

Also maybe a good douse of gluten is what some need to get so sick they wish they were dead..... maybe that will make the gluten-free lifestyle real & needed.....Reality has a way of opening eyes....

I would much rather change my grains from wheat to allowable ones & enjoy a healthy life & pray I never get cancer rather than take my chances.

At first I missed many foods & I craved & cried for them ..now I can say there is not one thing I cannot make or buy that I once craved. The gluten-free excellent foods are there for the taking.....

I know children who can be true to this diet because they understand how ill they can get. Adults need to learn control as well....

I wish the best for all. There are enough on here who has done the cheating & I haven't heard anyone say it was worth the cheat. SO I guess my final thought is : you can go the easy route & not take chances or learn the hard way & pay the piper.Really check is never easy.....

blessings

mamaw

Archived