sbj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

KFC Grilled Chicken Fresh Chicken

Marinated with: Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate

Seasoned with: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added as Anticaking Agents. Contains Wheat and Soy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Even if this was gluten free I would never in a million years consider going into a KFC to get this. The entire basis of the menu is fried chicken! I wouldn't trust that there wouldn't be cross contamination.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#3 sbj

sbj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Even if this was gluten free I would never in a million years consider going into a KFC to get this. The entire basis of the menu is fried chicken! I wouldn't trust that there wouldn't be cross contamination.

But what restaurant (chain) out there doesn't have flour kicking around? What restaurant doesn't serve fried chicken fingers? What fast food restaurant doesn't base their entire menu on sandwiches? What restaurant doesn't serve bread? Many here eat at Wendy's but I believe they have a bakery truck delivering buns everyday. The guy carts them thorough the backdoor right past half of their food supplies. And then the servers store them in steam bins right over the grills.

More to the point: why would you put flour on grilled chicken? Before being diagnosed with celiac I never would have dusted my chicken with flour prior to grilling?

#4 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

But what restaurant (chain) out there doesn't have flour kicking around?

To the extent that KFC does? I don't think there are many restaurants out there (with the possible exception of bakeries) which as flour-laden as KFC. Even their mashed potatoes have flour in them. I wouldn't even buy a fountain drink from KFC.

Sure, lots of restaurants have flour around, and there's always a risk of cc. My own kitchen isn't even entirely gluten-free, and I had to chew out my son the other day for getting bread crumbs on the block of cheese. But I think with KFC, you have guaranteed cc with anything there.

Still, flour on the grilled chicken... it just goes to show that we have to be diligent and never assume that something doesn't have flour in it just because we haven't seen it done that way before.

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#5 jparsick84

jparsick84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Geez, this is such a bummer! I was thinking "Oooooh, maybe I could try it and then I could have another restaurant to eat with my friends..."

Good thing I checked the GFF before I ate! :(

#6 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

To the extent that KFC does? I don't think there are many restaurants out there (with the possible exception of bakeries) which as flour-laden as KFC. Even their mashed potatoes have flour in them. I wouldn't even buy a fountain drink from KFC.

Sure, lots of restaurants have flour around, and there's always a risk of cc. My own kitchen isn't even entirely gluten-free, and I had to chew out my son the other day for getting bread crumbs on the block of cheese. But I think with KFC, you have guaranteed cc with anything there.

Still, flour on the grilled chicken... it just goes to show that we have to be diligent and never assume that something doesn't have flour in it just because we haven't seen it done that way before.

-Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth. This was pretty much my point.

Yes, I realize there is the possibility for cc in any restaurant unless it is specifically a dedicated gluten free restaurant; and yes that includes my own kitchen as well, since my husband is not gluten free; but I think KFC has a much higher risk of cross contamination than say, Wendy's.

I can't even imagine why anyone with celiac would attempt to get a safe meal in a fast food restaurant who's entire menu is dedicated to fried food.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Such is the case with chicken breasts in most restaurants. We only order chicken if it is made from scratch.

#8 samcarter

samcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

Yeah. I was dumb; we were in the middle of nowhere with my in laws, stopped at KFC and what with the three kids we were ordering for and trying to get food for everyone, I just went ahead and had the grilled chicken.

I didn't seem to have any gluten issues. And it tasted great.

So without checking the website, I had some again on Tuesday for my birthday. And leftovers yesterday.

I am paying for it today, I think...of course, we have a stomach bug going around, so it's hard to say what exactly is causing my symptoms. But i feel like such an IDIOT. :angry:
Negative EMA test 8/08
Gluten free 8/08
Positive response to dietary change
Dairy free 3/09
Citrus free 5/09
Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

#9 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

-Elizabeth

Wow. Mashed potatoes, too? Crazy.

#10 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

Wow. Mashed potatoes, too? Crazy.

To be fair, my mashed potatoes have flour in them, too... :lol:

I had never heard of such, but I saw it on the Food Network. Make a sauce (add cheese if you want) and pour over the potatoes and mash them. I'll never make mashed potatoes the old way again... :ph34r:

Certainly made me more aware of the places that flour/thickener is used.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: