This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Else Can I Eliminate? I Still Don't Feel Better.

B R I A N A

B R I A N A Apprentice

I'm sixteen. Female.

I've been on the gluten free diet for a year and around then I also found out I had a dairy allergy. [[Not lactose intolerant, dairy allergy.]] My mom has a double copy of the celiac gene but I am unnoffically diagnosed but do carry a copy it. I don't mind being gluten free, I feel healthier without all those bready foods. Before I went on the gluten free diet, I had TERRIBLE mood swings of depression and whatnot [[More than the average teenager.]] And I'd feel sick after I ate. Both of those went somewhat away after I got the hang of the diet.

I stopped eating all meat about a couple months before my change in diet with the gluten and dairy and still don't eat the meat. For about three or four years now I havent dranken any soda or anything carbonated because it seemed to bother my stomach REALLY bad, and plus it isn't really good for you. Then citric acid started to upset me, so I started eliminating foods such as tomatoes, oranges, lemon, and fruit juices. I'm down to just soy milk and water. All other flavored beverages seem to bother me. I first started taking Tagament for the acidic foods but when that didn't help I started taking Prilosec and same thing didn't do anything, so now I'm on Pepcid, which seems to make a little bit of a difference. I can occasionally have an orange and tomatoes don't bother me as much anymore, but ketchup and fruit juices still seem to.

I got blood work done, did the childhood allergy panal, which is where I found out about the dairy allergy, then I just got the results back for when I got tested for the common allergies and they all came back negative.

About a month or two ago I did the four hour glucose test and found out I am hypoglycemic and my blood sugar level was FLAT. I tested my thyroid, and it was "normal" but was on the lowest end. I don't eat candy just to eat candy, I tend to avoid it cause it to makes my stomach burn or upset. Constipation was happening as an everyday thing but then went away after the stopping of tomatoes, but has recently seemed to be happeining again.

Now here I am, I still get sick most of the time after I eat, like something under my right rib is knotting up and it burns really bad. Under my left breast I get this like stabbing pain almost like a knife were going through me and all I want to do is lay down. The mood swings are still a problem, but not as bad as they were before the gluten free diet. I go from happy to sad in an hour and most of the time have no idea why. I have a frequent need to go pee about every hour or so, which causes lack of sleep due to having to get up a couple times a night. I do actually urinate about ninety percent of the time but sometimes its only about a tablespoon or so. I don't drink VERY often but when I seem to have just a cup of water it seems to almost go right through me like ten minutes later, I go. Bloating is a problem, most of the time after I eat my stomach blows up. I don't get any headaches, I've had maybe one in my life. I have trouble caring when I'm in class or with homework because I'm either in a bad mood where I don't care about anything or can't stop dwelling on something else. Due to my extreme blood glucose drop I eat a little bit throughout the day.

I eat alot of spinach and mushrooms sauted in butter with garlic.

I'm a fruits and veggie fanatic, they're a big portion of what I eat.

I take a mult vitamin, magnessium, pepcid, b-12, four lysine each day. I was taking Caltrate calcium supplements, until the doctor told me about two months ago I have crystals in my urine, so I was on bicitra hoping to make a difference and it made none.

I was looking into the Candida diet, I haven't started it yet, but I'm not really sure what I would eat if I did.

I'm pretty much willing to do anything.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, I could really use the help.

Thank you so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am going to make a suggestion that will likely make you shudder but.....How much soy are you consuming? It is not uncommon for some of us to also be intolerant to soy and unfortunately it seems to be in almost as much as gluten is.

oceangirl Collaborator

Brianna,

I'm sorry you are feeling so badly! I'll probably be no help but, being someone who doesn't believe in the way America overmedicates itself, I can't help but think you should take yourself off all of those things and try one tried and true food at a time, add things in one at a time while keeping a detailed food log with symptoms. Too many veggies and fruits, while good for you, can cause bloating. Also, when I lack protein in my diet I get that deep, knife-like stabbing pain under my left rib cage that radiates to the back. Constipation can cause all kinds of discomfort and pain as well.

I am assuming that you have checked ALL personal care products and medications for hidden gluten. Since you are vegetarian I can't recommend just plain chicken or fish for awhile but I will list my most trusted foods. I, like you have had some other intolerances although now those have changed. In the beginning I ate: Bananas, salmon, fish, shrimp, red meat,chicken, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers, swiss chard, grapes, watermelon, cherries, olive oil, shallots and garlic. ( all in not huge amts.) I now eat: Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, Tinkyada pasta, tomatoes, mushrooms, oranges, strawberries, Hormel turkey, squash and the like. I take NO supplements, vitamins or medications as I come from a French and Greek family that doesn't care for medications!

Others will post and I hope you get to the bottom of this and feel better soon!

lisa

Jestgar Rising Star
....being someone who doesn't believe in the way America overmedicates itself, I can't help but think you should take yourself off all of those things......

I don't disagree with this, but ideally you do it in conjunction with your doc, or a good naturopath, or nutritionist. I know those things can be hard to find, so maybe start with cutting back anything non-prescription. If your taking any prescription meds you need to talk to the doc about the best way to start eliminating them.

I also agree with too much soy. It can be difficult to digest.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I'd also agree about the possibility of the soy bothering you. Have you tried rice or almond milk?

About the B12 - is it sublingual (dissolves under the tongue)? This may be important, as Celiac seems to hamper the digestion of B12. A sublingual goes directly into the bloodstream. Also, antacids can interfere with the stomach's production of Intrinsic Factor, which is required for proper digestion and absorption of B12. A deficiency in this nutrient, along with other B vitamins, can lead to sleep problems, mood problems, fatigue, and so much more. Make sure you get adequate amounts of all B vitamins too. For B12, there is no known level of overdose, so feel free to take all you want/need. From everything I've read, it seems 3mg per day is about right for a sublingual. The methylcobalamin form is generally regarded as best.

You may also benefit from vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). A number of members have mentioned having to take quite a lot to get their levels up, so the multivitamin may not be enough for this and certain other nutrients.

Do you eat potatoes? Since you mentioned tomatoes giving you problems, I'm wondering if nightshades in general may be problematic for you.

If you are concerned about candida, my first suggestion would be to avoid mushrooms, as they can cause some of the same symptoms, for sensitive individuals.

You mentioned a dairy allergy, and also sauteing things in butter. Do you mean margarine? Because butter is dairy of course. Incidentally, have you tried coconut oil in place of butter/margarine? It is naturally high in caprylic acid, which fights candida, plus most good brands are trans-fat free. It's great for baking too.

For the frequent urination, how's your sodium and potassium intake? An imbalance of these can cause such a symptom.

Jestgar Rising Star

Keeping in mind that pretty much everyone here has researched things for their own situation and are not health professionals.

Don't lose sight of the fact that people are offering you ADVICE, not assessing your health over the internet.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Thank you all for your advice. I am Briana's mom and I suggested that she post on here for help since the doctor is getting a little frustrated with us. I think we will try eliminating the soy and try rice milk, which brands are good and gluten free?

She eats a LOT of potatoes.

She is taking the methylcobalamin form sublingual B12 but I think I am going to get her a B complex.

I always thought people should get their vitamins through their diet as well but she is so limited I am concerned she is not getting enough. The only other medication she is on right now is the pepcid and she has to take that or she is miserable!

We have check all personal care products and I think they are all safe.

She meant dairy free butter. She eats the Earths Balance kind.

I think the frequent urination is from the crystals in her urine which I think was from the calcium she was taking. I had her stop that since she should be getting enough from the spinich and soy milk (and hopefully rice milk) and hopefully that will get better soon.

Wow, thank you all again I feel so bad for her and I want to help her figure this all out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janessa Rookie

Maybe ask your doctor about doing an elimination diet and eliminate soy, corn, legumes, rice and anything else you think might be bothering you or that you eat frequently

I had the same problem, and when you eliminate only one thing at a time it can be hard to pinpoint multiple food sensitivities. My doctor at first didn't want me to do it because I was vegetarian but you can do it and trust me it is worth it to find out what is making you feel bad.

RiceGuy Collaborator
She eats a LOT of potatoes.

Many on this board, including myself, have found nightshades can be problematic. From what I've read, I believe it is because the leaky gut allows a higher percentage of the toxic alkaloids into the bloodstream. So I'll suggest avoiding those and seeing how it goes. This includes tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Also, red pepper, chili pepper, paprika, etc.

Taro root is a LOT like potato, only not a nightshade. It can be mashed, baked, boiled, fried, etc. It's white inside too. The taste is slightly sweeter, with a hint of what many describe as tasting like water chestnut.

For a tomato sauce substitute, try Open Original Shared Link. But just like tomatoes, it is acidic. So it may not be appropriate for everyone.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Ok I might be over-reacting but we were considering eliminating soy and we realized it is in 95% of what she is eating. What do you eat when you are vegan and can't have soy? She cannot survive on fruits and veggies! Is there a soy free dairy free butter? Does anyone know which rice milk is gluten free?

mindwiped Rookie
Ok I might be over-reacting but we were considering eliminating soy and we realized it is in 95% of what she is eating. What do you eat when you are vegan and can't have soy? She cannot survive on fruits and veggies! Is there a soy free dairy free butter? Does anyone know which rice milk is gluten free?

I don't know if they are out your way, but I've been using the Hyvee store brand rice milk, although I like the almond milk better for lattes and drinking. Truthfully, as long as you made sure she got enough protein for a growing young lady (beans and nuts/nut butters) your daughter could be healthy, happy and survive very well on fruits and veggies. The only thing close to 'soy free/dairy free' that I've had recommended butter wise is ghee, but it's still clarified butter and it bothers me. Some people on the boards, Riceguy I believe was one, spoke highly of the coconut oil spread (Spectrum brand I think). They say it tastes nice, if coconutty, and works well on toast, in popcorn and as a baking substitute.

If you do have Hyvee's out your way, double check the rice milk, I just remembered that dh (the celiac) won't drink it, so I was just concerned about dairy (my intolerance)

Good luck on your trial of soy free!

RiceGuy Collaborator

As was stated, you don't need soy to be healthy if you are vegan. Though I don't have any noticeable reaction to soy, I only eat it occasionally. I actually get more than enough protein from the things I eat, which includes veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, whole grains, legumes, etc.

But do keep in mind, that there is a difference between whole soy products, and things like soy lecithin and soybean oil. Many who react to whole soy products such as tofu, or soy protein products, can eat soy lecithin and soybean oil without any problems. It depends on what fraction of soy you react to.

I believe Fleischmann's Unsalted margarine is made from corn oil, and contains no dairy or soy. It does have trans-fats however. The only stick margarine I know of without trans-fats is Earth Balance, but if memory serves, contains some soy. Personally, I much prefer coconut oil, though the Open Original Shared Link is over my budget. All others I've tried simply do not compare IMO. But if flavor isn't your primary concern, one of the cheapo brands may be just the thing you're looking for.

I'm not familiar with brand name rice milk products, but I do know Rice Dream contains gluten. You're sure to get decent recommendations on which rice milks to try.

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you're hypoglycemic, and eating a lot of potatoes and fruits, and no meats (and I didn't see mention of nuts in there).... well, you might want to reconsider eating meat. Eating a little throughout the day, if it's stuff that *YOUR* hypoglycemia reacts quickly to, will have you going up and down all day, never feeling good. Being gluten and dairy free, and hypoglycemic myself, I *can't* eliminate meat, because there is no way for me to get enough protein in each of my meals to keep my hypoglycemia at bay.

(Eating frequently is not the only/best way to control hypoglycemia - each meal needs to be balanced for fat/protein/carbs/fiber. From what I've read from people's experiences, everyone seems to have a different "ideal mix" for themselves. I seem to do best somewhere between 25%/25%/50% and 30%/30%/40%. If much more than 50% of my calories come from carbs, even fairly complex ones like beans, I do not feel my best. And using one single food - like soy - to substitute for this, generally just makes it worse.)

songstressc Apprentice
As was stated, you don't need soy to be healthy if you are vegan. Though I don't have any noticeable reaction to soy, I only eat it occasionally. I actually get more than enough protein from the things I eat, which includes veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, whole grains, legumes, etc.

But do keep in mind, that there is a difference between whole soy products, and things like soy lecithin and soybean oil. Many who react to whole soy products such as tofu, or soy protein products, can eat soy lecithin and soybean oil without any problems. It depends on what fraction of soy you react to.

I believe Fleischmann's Unsalted margarine is made from corn oil, and contains no dairy or soy. It does have trans-fats however. The only stick margarine I know of without trans-fats is Earth Balance, but if memory serves, contains some soy. Personally, I much prefer coconut oil, though the Open Original Shared Link is over my budget. All others I've tried simply do not compare IMO. But if flavor isn't your primary concern, one of the cheapo brands may be just the thing you're looking for.

I'm not familiar with brand name rice milk products, but I do know Rice Dream contains gluten. You're sure to get decent recommendations on which rice milks to try.

I am shocked! If Rice Dream contains gluten for sure then that is where I have been glutoned from 2 weeks ago! I have wracked my brain trying to figure out where. For sure gluten ? Why?

I am shocked! If Rice Dream contains gluten for sure then that is where I have been glutoned from 2 weeks ago! I have wracked my brain trying to figure out where. For sure gluten ? Why?

They use barley enzymes to filter the rice.

In theory, low enough levels of gluten for them to claim gluten free (<20ppm), but most of us are kinda pissed at them for the lack of disclosure so we can't even make our own informed decision. ;)

B R I A N A Apprentice
If you're hypoglycemic, and eating a lot of potatoes and fruits, and no meats (and I didn't see mention of nuts in there).... well, you might want to reconsider eating meat. Eating a little throughout the day, if it's stuff that *YOUR* hypoglycemia reacts quickly to, will have you going up and down all day, never feeling good. Being gluten and dairy free, and hypoglycemic myself, I *can't* eliminate meat, because there is no way for me to get enough protein in each of my meals to keep my hypoglycemia at bay.

(Eating frequently is not the only/best way to control hypoglycemia - each meal needs to be balanced for fat/protein/carbs/fiber. From what I've read from people's experiences, everyone seems to have a different "ideal mix" for themselves. I seem to do best somewhere between 25%/25%/50% and 30%/30%/40%. If much more than 50% of my calories come from carbs, even fairly complex ones like beans, I do not feel my best. And using one single food - like soy - to substitute for this, generally just makes it worse.)

So you think eating meat might be my only like possible solution?

lonewolf Collaborator

If you really don't want to eat meat, what about something like eggs? Are you committed to a vegan diet? Vegetarian might be easier - you could try goat or sheep milk cheeses to. Some people can handle those even if they can't do cow dairy.

I agree that soy could be your problem (it's horrible for me) and that you might not be getting enough protein. I was vegetarian (not vegan) for a while and got my protein from peanut butter, eggs, beans and cheese. I know you can't have dairy, so that really limits it.

Also, you might want to try hemp milk - it has more nutritional value than rice milk.

Only? Not necessarily, but I'd suggest that you not behold yourself to veganism at the expense of figuring out your health. As lonewolf says, perhaps try starting with eggs and dairy. See if that works. Look into a wider range of food sources (hemp milk/seeds, flax seeds, nuts, etc.). Scour vegetarian websites and recipe books and get creative to figure out where you can bump your variety and protein/fat. But don't leave meat off the table if that doesn't work. You have to figure out what works for *YOUR* body, and no one can really tell you what that is. Hypoglycemia manifests differently for different people. (I can eat bananas - but I like to eat them fairly underripe, just past green - and some people can't eat them at all. Gotta figure out YOU. For me, eggs two days in a row will not work for breakfast, especially if not *well* balanced with carbs - just doesn't sit well with me and give me *enough* carbs for the blood sugar to get up from the nighttime low.)

• 2 weeks later...
B R I A N A Apprentice

I'm allergic to the dairy, so I couldn't have the goat milk or the cheese.

I don't think I can go back to eating just eggs or meat again, I sorta just like grossed myself out by it. Even some of the substitutes that taste almost real gross me out cause it reminds me of eating flesh. You know?

I've never had I'm sorry but I forgot what the milk was called that you had mentioned, so maybe I will try and find that.

I'm not looking at soy for protein, I just eat it alot with most of my meals.

Soy butter, tofu, milk for cereals, so I just need to find something to replace that.

I am trying to cut back on my soy intake as much as I can.

For instance I don't just drink chocolate soy milk anymore I just stick with water.

Zachnap Newbie

I know what your problem is. It is Oxalates - you need to reduce the oxalates in your diet. Spinach, (Red) tomatoes, oranges, Potatoes, Soy, Chocolate and fruit juices are very high in oxalates. I can't eat ketchup but I can eat small amounts of orange tomatoes(lower oxalate content than red tomatoes). Open Original Shared Link about high oxalate content in Spinach

I have a frequent need to go pee about every hour or so, which causes lack of sleep due to having to get up a couple times a night. I do actually urinate about ninety percent of the time but sometimes its only about a tablespoon or so. I don't drink VERY often but when I seem to have just a cup of water it seems to almost go right through me like ten minutes later, I go.
Because of inflammation in your urinary tract due to Open Original Shared Link (check out link) and oxalate in your blood-stream due to separation of tight junctions of small intestine. You should notice that once you eliminate oxalates you will be able to "go" much easier and completely empty your bladder. Drink lots of water. Once you figure out which foods contain too much oxalate for you, you can take Ibuprofen (make sure you don't have a problem with it) occasionally to reduce intermittent inflammation and help you "go". Don't just start popping Ibuprofen everyday, it is not good for you.

I was taking Caltrate calcium supplements, until the doctor told me about two months ago I have crystals in my urine, so I was on bicitra hoping to make a difference and it made none.
These are probably oxalate crystals - stop taking Bicitra (pills just mask problems they don't fix them) and Bicitra will not prevent oxalates from entering into your blood stream throw tight junctions in the small intestine - stop going to that doctor, he doesn't know what he is doing and should lose his ability to write prescriptions until he figures out how to be a real doctor - doctors are supposed to treat the root cause of symptoms not the symptoms themselves. Continue to take calcium some how. People whose bodies can't break-down oxalates or produce too much oxalate are at high risk for kidney stones and long-term damage to kidneys etc.

Bloating is a problem, most of the time after I eat my stomach blows up.

Me too, when I eat high oxalate foods.

Under my left breast I get this like stabbing pain almost like a knife were going through me and all I want to do is lay down.

Yes, me too, when I eat high oxalate foods - these pains and burning are caused by "indigestion", "heart burn". Do you ever get mild acid reflux?

I'm a fruits and veggie fanatic, they're a big portion of what I eat.

You aren't going to be able to eat these like you have been until you are healed - most vegetables have medium to high oxalate content.

It is very difficult to eliminate Gluten, Dairy and oxalates - you won't be able to eat much of anything except rice and meat and a few fruits and vegetables. If you limit your oxalate intake you might be able to eat small amounts of potatoes here and there.

I believe though that the oxalate problem should only be temporary until your small intestine has healed but it may take a while or never - I'm not sure yet. You might be able to slowly begin eating them after some time. I think that what happens is that the tight junctions in your small intestine open which allow oxalates to pass through without being broken down. They can get into your bloodstream and cause inflammation etc. in various parts of your body. Typically most people have a special bacteria which breaks these oxalates down but damage to the intestine can kill-off the cultures in your stomach.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Brianna,

Since you mentioned you get pain in your stomach area after eating, I wonder if it might be H. Pylori? H.Pylori can cause ulcers, but it is treatable. Just a thought.

Another thing to look into is goitrogenic foods. If your thyroid levels are low, you might want to avoid foods that are considered goitrogenic, or thyroid hormone lowering. I think spinach is one of them actually. Living on spinach was great for Popeye, but may not be wonderful for people with borderline thyroid function.

Open Original Shared Link

Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e., a goitre.

Did you know soy is considered a goitrogen also? Anyhow, the list of goitrogenic foods is pretty long. There are also foods that promote thyroid function, like avocados and coconut.

LadyBugLuv Rookie
I am going to make a suggestion that will likely make you shudder but.....How much soy are you consuming? It is not uncommon for some of us to also be intolerant to soy and unfortunately it seems to be in almost as much as gluten is.

Yeah, I agree... soy seems to actually make me feel worse than gluten...

I get incredibly nauseous from it (even the soy lecithin in chocolate, sad to say)...

and I did test positive for an intolerance to gluten and soy.

funny thing is, as a baby, I was on soy formula because I couldn't have the dairy kind... go figure.

and like gluten, soy is in everything.... gotta love vegetable oil and soy lecithin ;).

good luck.

caramckelvey Newbie

I think corn could be the culprit or at least it is for many people. Think about how much corn we have in the American diet, almost everything processed has either corn or wheat (corn syrup, corn as a starch, etc., carmel color). I agree, the best thing is probably eliminate everything and then slowly add different food groups. Good luck!

emcmaster Collaborator

Someone might have mentioned this already, but try eliminating corn. My corn intolerance showed up about a year after going gluten-free.

hurrican-drea Newbie

I have had to become a strict vegan in the USA and will not eat ANY preservatives. I did not see you list anything about eatine organic. I must eat completely organic I react to pesticides on fruits and vegetables etc. I also use organic shampoos, makeup, lotions. I will even have reactions to dish soaps as they leave residues on my plates etc. I joke with my friends that I am the canary in their mine. Best of luck. I suggest an elimination diet. start with one food only and slowly add other foods.

I agree with what otheres have said about both corn and soy I do ok with these but know many celiacs who don't. Although I do avoid soy because of my thyroid troubles and history of breast cancer

Drea

Archived