This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Miracle Noodles -- Anybody Try These?

brigala

brigala Explorer

These are supposed to be made of pure fiber, no gluten, no soy, no useable calories, no net carbs. They're kind of spendy, though. Has anybody tried them?

You can google "miracle noodle," shiritaki, or Konjac to get an idea of what I'm talking about if you haven't seen them before.

Has anybody tried more than one version of this noodle? Comparisons?

-Elizabeth

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor
These are supposed to be made of pure fiber, no gluten, no soy, no useable calories, no net carbs. They're kind of spendy, though. Has anybody tried them?

You can google "miracle noodle," shiritaki, or Konjac to get an idea of what I'm talking about if you haven't seen them before.

Has anybody tried more than one version of this noodle? Comparisons?

-Elizabeth

I gave them a try because I saw your link...not bad...not great, but not bad. I prefer the rigatoni and other shapes to the angel hair/spaghetti...as the texture is firm...it was easier to chew the wider shapes. I've tried them with several sauces...but my favorite is quick mac and cheese...just rinse, melt some soft cheese, add a few spices...easy lunch. They are firm and different than pasta...which I find a good thing as we are growing tired of rice pasta :)

The price isn't terrible (I purchased the variety pack this first time) it's the $10 shipping, yikes! I still have loads of packages in my frig, but will probably buy them again choosing the shapes I prefer.

Did you try them?

-Lisa

munchkinette Collaborator

I was wondering about them too, mainly because they are all fiber. I don't think a lot of us get enough... I'm wondering if these would help in that department. :) I'm also wondering if they would cause problems/gas/etc.

brigala Explorer
Did you try them?

-Lisa

Not yet, but I still want to. Right now, I am working through a case of corn pasta I bought online, and can't justify buying more pasta until it's mostly gone. I have heard it can be bought in some grocery stores, so I need to start looking for it and see if I can avoid the shipping!!!

Thank you for your feedback! I think I will definitely try them when I can.

-Elizabeth

Gobbie Apprentice

I HEART THEM.

They are also a.k.a yam cake / noodle!

I have them almost everyday!!!!!

They are GREAT substitutes for the stuff I need to avoid like my intolerance to rice and gluten meant

no noodle or pasta for me but now with these +_+ THEY ARE MY LIFE SAVER!

How do I eat them?

I usually buy the yam cake more than the noodle.

Just cut up few slices and put them in boiling water and finito!

It's HASSLE FREE, easy to cook and EASY TO DIGEST!

I have almost non existent digestive system (yes, it has been that bad all my life)

so I am a good guinea pig to try out whether a product is easily digestible or not.

Before cooked, just out of the packet, it does have a weird fishy smell which might put you off initially but don't let it!

It's just like raw fish and how it smells in the beginning but one cooked,

it all goes away and it's just like jelly but healthier and goes with pretty much everything!

They can be used in

-Noodle soup

-East Asian style soup

-Salad dish

-Alternative to rice cake

-Alternative to meat: pan fry and put a sauce on it, etc.

They are worth the money.

• 2 months later...
NYCCeliacMom Apprentice
I HEART THEM.

They are also a.k.a yam cake / noodle!

I have them almost everyday!!!!!

They are GREAT substitutes for the stuff I need to avoid like my intolerance to rice and gluten meant

no noodle or pasta for me but now with these +_+ THEY ARE MY LIFE SAVER!

How do I eat them?

I usually buy the yam cake more than the noodle.

Just cut up few slices and put them in boiling water and finito!

It's HASSLE FREE, easy to cook and EASY TO DIGEST!

I have almost non existent digestive system (yes, it has been that bad all my life)

so I am a good guinea pig to try out whether a product is easily digestible or not.

Before cooked, just out of the packet, it does have a weird fishy smell which might put you off initially but don't let it!

It's just like raw fish and how it smells in the beginning but one cooked,

it all goes away and it's just like jelly but healthier and goes with pretty much everything!

They can be used in

-Noodle soup

-East Asian style soup

-Salad dish

-Alternative to rice cake

-Alternative to meat: pan fry and put a sauce on it, etc.

They are worth the money.

Thanks for all the information about the miracle noodles. I am a little confused, though...is yam cake the same as miracle noodles? I have only seen them as shirataki noodles on the miracle noodle website.

brigala Explorer

Yes, and where do you find the best place to buy them? Are you saying this basic yam fiber thing can be purchased in the form of a noodle and in a more cake-like form? I am imagining something about the size, shape, and consistency of those tubes of polenta.

I finally found a similar noodle made from Kelp at the grocery store. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a whole case of miracle noodles online without having tried them first. The kelp-based ones have 6 calories per serving.

My aunt apparently eats miracle noodles, and has offered to mail my mom a package. My mom accepted the offer to be polite, but she is so put off by the idea of them that she doesn't want to try it. So she's going to pass it on to me. I think I'll wait and try both the kelp and the yam noodle and compare the two. I'll post a review once that happens. :)

-Elizabeth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 months later...
Gobbie Apprentice

Thanks for all the information about the miracle noodles. I am a little confused, though...is yam cake the same as miracle noodles? I have only seen them as shirataki noodles on the miracle noodle website.

Sorry about the long delayed reply.

Yam cakees and noodles are the same thing but just different shapes.

If you go to East Asian super markets (Japanese/Korean), they should be next to each other.

I buy mine from Korean super markets.. not online.

Hope this helps out.

Gobbie Apprentice

Yes, and where do you find the best place to buy them? Are you saying this basic yam fiber thing can be purchased in the form of a noodle and in a more cake-like form? I am imagining something about the size, shape, and consistency of those tubes of polenta.

I finally found a similar noodle made from Kelp at the grocery store. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a whole case of miracle noodles online without having tried them first. The kelp-based ones have 6 calories per serving.

My aunt apparently eats miracle noodles, and has offered to mail my mom a package. My mom accepted the offer to be polite, but she is so put off by the idea of them that she doesn't want to try it. So she's going to pass it on to me. I think I'll wait and try both the kelp and the yam noodle and compare the two. I'll post a review once that happens. :)

-Elizabeth

Yes, you can purchase Yam Cakes in East Asian super markets (Japanese/Korean..maybe in Chinese shops too).

They are usually sold next to each other, noodle and cake.

Yam cakes are ofcourse not in the shape of a generic cake (round and big).

They are usually a rectangle, slightly smaller than an average woman's hand, about 2cm high as well.

Packaged in vinyl with some liquid just like the yam noodles.

Hope this helps.

kenlove Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

is some more info on Konnyaku. It's very common in Japan and even here in Hawaii with its aAsian population.

The noodles and/or blocks are served at various restaurants and sold in regular grocery stores at about a 10th of the price of the network marketed or highly advertised things.

The root that it comes from can be hugh, in the 100 pound range. The old time Hawaiian Japanese made their own konnyaku

weekly but now its done rarely. The blocks by themselves served in a broth with hot mustard can be had from street carts in old sections of tokyo along with other goodies.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Though I've not tried them, I looked into it some time ago. Found a place online that offers them in a smaller amount, with free shipping in the continental USA. It's still expensive per ounce, but at least you can try them without such a large investment. The site is Open Original Shared Link.

However, is it a good idea to fill up on something that offers no nutritional value?

Archived