This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Diagnosis

saa215

saa215 Newbie

Hi- My 12 year old son has just been diagnosed with Celiac and fortunately he's had no symptons other than low weight gain. This has made it especially difficult to convince him that this diet is necessary. He's been really resistant. One of his biggest concerns is lunch at school. I think he's embarrassed to take a lunch to school. I think he'd be much more agreeable if he could find a bread he liked. We've tried several recipes, but have had no luck yet. Does anyone have a recipe or brand that I can purchase that you like? Any help is much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Foods By George has awesome English Muffins that come in plain and cinnamon and when they are toasted they even taste better.

Kinnikinnick has really good bread and donuts.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Since he was just diagnosed you may not know to the extent of what the diet is. This link will provide some lists as guidelines for you.

It was hard for me to understand at first why I had to follow the diet...what helped with me was reading that I could be put at high risk for serious complications such as cancer if I did not follow the diet.

This is a great site for support and answers when you need them

Welcome to the board and let me know if you need anything :D

mistyfog Newbie

Hi,

I'm in a similar boat with you. My 10 yr. old son has not been diagnosed yet, but I think he is at least gluten-intolerant. He also has a VERY bad rashes on arms and legs (which is what started us down this allergy road). We are awaiting the results of the Celiac panel blood work.

In the meantime, we started the gluten-free diet this week. His sister is going milk-free at the same time. My son is not happy with the changes, but he is complying so far. I am trying REALLY hard to find foods he likes for his lunches (which he now has to take to school - before he could do the cafeteria lunches which are pretty good). He was a serious wheat-hound before this... and a picky eater. I have not tried to find any gluten-free breads or pastas yet - since I am pretty sure they won't measure up... and maybe some distance (time-wise) from the originals will help him accept some substitutes.

He really misses croutons and ice cream cones, so I will try to find some of those first I think.

I wish I could help with the bread question, but not yet. good luck,

misty

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Personally, I love Kinnikinnick english muffins. They are delicious! You could make some really good "McMuffin style" sandwiches for him. They are also thick enough that they can double as a hamburger bun.

Maybe think about investing in a bread machine. That way, you can "personalize" the breads that you make for him, to his preferences....

Also, when I am out and about and I am in a crunch with nothing available to eat, I pop into a variety store and pick up some Tostitos Corn Chips and Tostitos Salsa. They are gluten free. Maybe pack him some of those with some shredded cheese. That's always a treat..... Even better tasting than the "Lunchables Nachos & Cheese" I am sure!!!!

Maybe to get him to take celiac disease seriously, show him an article about Joe C., Kid Rock's sidekick - who died (I think last year) from complications of celiac disease. That might show him on a more "younger group" level the seriousness of this disease.

Good Luck!

Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Just wanted to mention that when I said shredded cheese, make sure it is brick cheese you have shredded yourself. Packaged shredded cheese quite often contains gluten.....Good Luck!

Karen

saa215 Newbie

I wanted to thank everyone that has reponded. We did try Sans Gluten Cord Bread and we find it is really similar to regular white bread. It's not as soft, but he seems to be happy with it.

Sallie

SharonF Contributor

Wow, I didn't realize that Joe C. died of celiac complications!

After time, I suspect that "regular" pastas will start tasting weird to your son. My favorite is tinkyada brand brown rice pasta.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wendyspi Rookie

My two year old loves a Rice Pecan Bread...it is in a green package and I can find it at my regular grocery store, whole foods, or Trader Joe's. You could also speak to the school's "lunch crew" and find out which items he can by that are gluten free.

snoopylian Apprentice

Since the intestines begin healing as soon as you go gluten-free then you can not have an accurate biopsy. Therefore, you may not get a diagnosis of celiac. That is what happened to my son. Although I know he is celiac I can not prove it and I am not willing to go back on a gluten diet. We already did that for three months and it was hell and he still did not test positive. So -- he is gluten-free without an official celiac diagnosis, just a diagnosis of gluten intolerance. Some schools are real butt heads :o) about making accommodations for the children. I know some parents who had to pull out the federal law policy in order to get the schools to accommodate their children - but you have to have a diagnosis of celiac for the law to be applicable.

-- just some info for you that I did not have when I begun my journey.

Also, ask him if he want to be 4' 7" (full grown) and 85 lbs like my daughter?????

snoopylian Apprentice

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer the main question re: bread. I've eaten a piece of gluten-free bread made in a 2lb bread mahine, that was soft. It was the best gluten-free bread I've tried. The mix was by gluten free pantry. The person who made it said that the key is to put all your liquid ingredients in first, then the mix on top, then the yeast, and do not stir it.

Roo Explorer

Our favorite bread is the ''Original White Bread" by "The Great Tasting Food Company" so far we have liked everthing we've gotten from them. How often does that happen? B)

Roo

Archived