This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acne Issues

Hydrokube

Hydrokube Rookie

For those of you who had unexplained and untreatable acne before diagnosis, how long did it take once going off gluten to see noticeable improvement? I've been gluten-free for about a week and I'm seeing some improvement, but I'm really curious how long it typically takes to finally have clear skin (if Celiac is the root cause).

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maile Newbie
For those of you who had unexplained and untreatable acne before diagnosis, how long did it take once going off gluten to see noticeable improvement? I've been gluten-free for about a week and I'm seeing some improvement, but I'm really curious how long it typically takes to finally have clear skin (if Celiac is the root cause).

Thanks in advance!

could you define "unexplained and untreatable acne"....the reason: I had what I thought was unexplained acne and after a trip to the derm she explained that it was cystic acne caused by a hormonal imbalance, quite often seen in women 35+ who've had children (not sure if this applies to you or not). I'm on a med that is also commonly used to treat PCOS and my skin is great (now)

other than that, I suspect it will take a while to clear mostly as it's a bit hit or miss at first getting all the gluten out of your diet and my experience is that once i've managed 100% gluten-free then things totally disappear.

Hydrokube Rookie

Sure, basically I've had severe acne since 15 that just won't go away, no matter what combination of products or pills I use. I've seen a dermatologist but no luck with anything that was prescribed. It did improve slightly once I got on Proactiv and switched to vegetarian 5 years ago (maybe from eating less gluten in general?), but my acne never completely went away. I'm now 25, and after 10 years of suffering, no improvements still.

I'm actually seeing improvement since going gluten-free, so I'm excited to hear other people's stories to set my expectations. If it doesn't clear up in 3 months or so of gluten-free I'll probably schedule a meeting with another dermatologist, maybe a new one could trace something down that the other couldn't.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I feel your pain. My face broke out somewhere around the age of 9/10... I'm 27 now, and it FINALLY is clearing up. I went to a dermatologist once, and they gave me something that I was allergic to and caused me to break out into hives. When I called them, they told me to keep using it... they were the antithesis of helpful needless to say.

Recently, I have gotten REALLY serious about eliminating soy from my diet (because I react to it) and my doctor put me on Benza-Clin. My face is clearer than it's been since I can remember. I don't know if it's one or the other, or both... but something is finally working. I also use Cetaphil gentle cleanser, because believe it or not, my skin is actually pretty dry, followed by the moisturizer and then the Benza-Clin.

My face didn't clear up going gluten-free as I had hoped. I'm not sure that it made any difference at all, to be honest. (Oh yeah, Proactiv didn't work for me either)

Hydrokube Rookie

My biggest problem seems to be papules all along my forehead. At times they get so bad and they're so red that I get really embarassed to every go anywhere. I'll keep eliminating soy in mind if my skin doesn't seem to be clearing up after gluten-free for a while, it seems to be a common issue with people. It's hard to even know what my real skin-type is because I've been on gluten for so long. I keep reading that people's bodies can change dramatically after going gluten-free.

I'm also chronically underweight, and hoping that gluten-free might help me gain some weight finally. I'm so tired of people telling me I need to gain weight when I haven't moved up or down in 10 years. Trust me, I've tried!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Make sure that you are checking your toiletries and shampoos and such for gluten. Look for wheat germ oil and if a label lists vitamin E call the company and make sure it is not from wheat. My 'acne' was actually DH, I used to ask my doctor why if it was acne it itched and burned and he never had an answer. Of course the rashes that covered my arms and legs in childhood were thought to be poison ivy too so I really wonder how much derms actually know about DH or think of it as a possibility.

Hydrokube Rookie

I've been wondering about that raven (DH on forehead). I do get DH on my legs in the form of a winter rash (extremely itchy). My forehead doesn't itch as much as tingle/burn constantly. It also tends to get very red and irritated looking for no apparent reason. Benzoyl Peroxide tends to make the redness less apparent, but it's still there.

I'm only using the following:

1. Dr. Bronner's for Shampoo/Body Wash (other Celiacs seem to use this with no problem)

2. Proactiv face system (gluten-free according to their site)

3. Natural Dentist toothpaste (gluten-free)

4. Tom's of Maine mouthwash (gluten-free)

5. Reach waxed mint (***Could this have gluten***)

6. Old Spice High Endurance anti-perspirant/deodorant (said it was gluten-free online)

7. Blistex lip balm (said gluten-free online)

That's all I use every day. I hadn't checked my floss, any ideas there?

My 3 siblings also had or have the same "rash" which we're now starting to attribute to Celiac (sister has Crohns, brother IBS, mom iron anemia).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darkhorse Apprentice

A lot of the things I have read about diet and acne say that you should eliminate dairy first (for normal people of course), then gluten, the fatty food, then some others that I can't remember. I have always had acne on my face, but for the most part it is not bad (only one or two pimples at a time) unless I get a breakout. But I have always had really bad acne on my back that is completely unresponsive. I have found a system that works on my face but it does nothing to help my back. You have no clue how sick I am of hearing, "It should work. Skin is skin." :rolleyes:

I did see a good amount of improvement on my back-acne when I went gluten and dairy free. For the first time in years my back started to clear up and I am not doing anything other than changing my diet. It could also be a lack of fatty foods, since gluten and dairy free pretty much eliminates a lot of fat as well. But some combination of GFDF less fat diet seemed to help me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I've been wondering about that raven (DH on forehead). I do get DH on my legs in the form of a winter rash (extremely itchy). My forehead doesn't itch as much as tingle/burn constantly. It also tends to get very red and irritated looking for no apparent reason. Benzoyl Peroxide tends to make the redness less apparent, but it's still there.

I'm only using the following:

1. Dr. Bronner's for Shampoo/Body Wash (other Celiacs seem to use this with no problem)

2. Proactiv face system (gluten-free according to their site)

3. Natural Dentist toothpaste (gluten-free)

4. Tom's of Maine mouthwash (gluten-free)

5. Reach waxed mint (***Could this have gluten***)

6. Old Spice High Endurance anti-perspirant/deodorant (said it was gluten-free online)

7. Blistex lip balm (said gluten-free online)

That's all I use every day. I hadn't checked my floss, any ideas there?

My 3 siblings also had or have the same "rash" which we're now starting to attribute to Celiac (sister has Crohns, brother IBS, mom iron anemia).

I don't know about the floss, I just use the unflavored but everything else you are using should be fine. I noticed you have only been gluten-free for a week, it does take the antibodies time to leave the skin if it is DH. Hopefully this will continue to improve for you.

Hydrokube Rookie

I'm going to start using a different floss (unflavored/unwaxed) just in case. I've mostly eliminated dairy and all gluten, but I probably have dairy 1-2 times a week right now. I have soy daily with breakfast.

I've actually been ridiculously hungry and I can't seem to stop eating. I'm the only one bringing snacks to long meetings! I have carnation instant breakfast w/ soy milk in the morning. So far on a typical work-day I have:

1. banana and sunflower seeds in the morning once I get to work and it's been an hour or two

2. vegetable chili/bean dish for lunch (going to start trying some new items in a week)

3. humus and crackers/carrots in the afternoon

4. sometimes a larabar (like a granola bar, but no granola) if I'm still really hungry

Go home and eat an avocado with chips, dinner, any other snacks I'm feeling hungry for. I've been trying to eat an avocado every day if I can since they so healthy/filling/I love them. The only downside is the recent batch we bought hasn't been ripe yet so I'm salivating just thinking about it now.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I'm going to start using a different floss (unflavored/unwaxed) just in case. I've mostly eliminated dairy and all gluten, but I probably have dairy 1-2 times a week right now. I have soy daily with breakfast.

I've actually been ridiculously hungry and I can't seem to stop eating. I'm the only one bringing snacks to long meetings! I have carnation instant breakfast w/ soy milk in the morning. So far on a typical work-day I have:

1. banana and sunflower seeds in the morning once I get to work and it's been an hour or two

2. vegetable chili/bean dish for lunch (going to start trying some new items in a week)

3. humus and crackers/carrots in the afternoon

4. sometimes a larabar (like a granola bar, but no granola) if I'm still really hungry

Go home and eat an avocado with chips, dinner, any other snacks I'm feeling hungry for. I've been trying to eat an avocado every day if I can since they so healthy/filling/I love them. The only downside is the recent batch we bought hasn't been ripe yet so I'm salivating just thinking about it now.

Sounds like you are doing everything you should be. Just one last caution, at least until your skin issues clear up it would be a good idea to avoid distilled gluten grains in alcohol and vinegars. Not all of us are sensitive to them and you can add them back in when your feeling good and watch for a reaction. It is not unusual for us to feel hungry at first, your body has been starving for the fats and nutrients that it wasn't getting when you were eating gluten. Your doing the right thing eating nutritious foods and feeding that hunger. That effect should disapate after you heal a bit more.

Archived