6 replies to this topic

#1 nikki55

nikki55

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

Wondering if someone out there might have any suggestions as to how to go about solving my problem. It seems that no matter what I eat, I get so, so tired that I have to stop what I am doing and lay down or take a nap! I've been trying to do the South Beach Diet with less carbs and eating only meats and veggies, but even still, I am exhausted! If anyone has any ideas, I would really appriecate it! I'm at my wits end and seem to be spending more time laying around that awake. It's not fair to my 3 year old and I feel horrible as a mother and wife because of it.

I have done a Candida cleanse 3 times now and take probotics daily.

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Carbohydrates are the main source of fuel for your body. If you're depleting yourself, you won't have energy.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Consider checking your blood sugar. Check the drugstore flyer for a special on a meter and a vial of test strips.

See bloodsugar101.com for details on how to use test strips efficiently. You need to do this at home on your own, The fasting test at the doctor's office won't give you the info you need.

Another option is to look into the Failsafe diet, but using the meter could help you figure out the problematic foods more quickly.

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:23 AM

Aside from carbohydrates being used for energy, there are some nutrient deficiencies which can cause fatigue. These include B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin D, and a few others. It might be worth having your nutrient levels checked.

However, as was mentioned, blood sugar changes are also a possibility.

Another thing I know can cause drowsiness/fatigue after eating is poor digestion. There may be something in your diet which doesn't agree with you, or that you are having trouble digesting. You may benefit from a digestive enzyme supplement too.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 chatycady

chatycady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

I had a similar problem. My Dr. called it "dumping syndrome". Food passed too quickly through the stomach and small intestine to the colon which caused my blood pressure to dive. Very very tired all day long. I could sleep all day and all night and still have trouble getting out of bed the next day. Miserable!

Run to Walmart after you eat and test your blood pressure. Certain foods made it worse. - Dairy, carbs, and starchy food did me in. I'm not real familiar with the South Beach Diet, but doesn't it allow complex carbs like brown rice and beans? Both are high in starch - very hard to digest for some of us with celiac. It all kinda depends on how much damage has been done to the microvilli and enzyme production.

Hope this helps you figure out what's happening and you find an answer. You will get better!
Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.
Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

#6 Ms Jan

Ms Jan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

I also used to have the same problem, particularly after heavy or sweet meals it became totally impossible with the fatigue, just had to lie down then and there. Then I learned that having small meals, like every two or three hours worked much better for me. And I make sure never to get too hungry before a meal, because that's when it happens again to me. You might want to give that a try ...

I'm on the SCD now (and a lot of vitamin supplements), which seems to have helped deal with the rest of my fatigue. But even before then, it was evident to me that frequent light meals consisting of vegetables with a little fish/meat/complex starches made me much less tired than any major meals. And sugar has in fact been a killer for me all my life, as is of course all gluten products :P

If you're building up a lot of toxins that could also be an explanation.

Hope you figure out what it is.

good luck!
QUESTION EVERYTHING (also the experts).
DON'T FOLLOW ANY ADVICE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT'S SUITABLE FOR YOU.
45 yrs; A life time of health problems, incl. arthritis and psoreasis; five years of debilitating 'poisoning' symptoms of headaches/vomiting.
Diagnosed Leaky Gut 2005.
Gluten free since nov 2008.
SCD diet/excl. all sugar&dairy since jan 2009. Finally improving!

#7 nikki55

nikki55

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

Thank you all so very much for this great advise! I do think that I am going to have to go gluten-free and start a
B-12 vitiamn.

I am also going to look into the blood sugar. I eat a TON of sweets and carbs...so that definitly might be a suspect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: