5 replies to this topic

#1 Rebecca's mom

Rebecca's mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

I didn't know if anyone might know where I can find an answer to my question. Recently, I have had a reaction to a couple of foods which I thought were gluten-free (I read the label and didn't see anything which set off warning bells). When I looked at the labels on these foods, there was an ingredient which I don't recall seeing on any other foods - Natamycin. Upon further investigation, I could find very little information on this product, especially the manner in which it is processed. It is apparently used as a mold inhibitor (I do know that I am allergic to mold........). The company which is listed is in China, so I sent them an e-mail, but I don't know what, if anything, will become of it.

Have you heard anything about this ingredient? I can't say for sure if it is causing a gluten reaction in me, because my "symptoms" aren't those of the typical celiac disease patient - I hardly ever get diarrhea or stomach upset. What I do get is itchy skin, the "fidgets", and bloating/weight gain. I noticed the itchy skin and the bloating over the past few days (I had only eaten one of the foods before yesterday, then ate both - then made the correlation).

One of the sites which I was directed to was Whole Foods Market, and they will not accept any foods in their stores which use natamycin, other than cheese slices (one of the 2 products which gave me problems - not bought at WFM, but at Sam's Club). I am not sure why they have this policy, so I have sent them an e-mail asking about that.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Obviously, I am not going to be eating either of these items again, but I am wondering if I need to worry about giving foods with this ingredient in it to my other family members with celiac disease / Gluten Sensitivity, or if this is just a coincidental allergic reaction on my part. Thank you so much -
Teresa Koch
Fort Worth, Texas

Youngest daughter diagnosed with celiac disease April, 2008

Self-diagnosed Dermatitis Herpetiformis after daughter's Celiac diagnosis
Confirmation of HLA-DQ*05*0201 March, 2009 (Quest Diagnostics)

Whole family Gluten-Free since April, 2008

Mom - HLA-DQ 2.5, 3.7 (Confirmed celiac)
Dad - HLA-DQ 1.6, 2.2 (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive)
DD#2 - HLA-DQ 2.2, 3.7 (NCGS)
DD#3 - HLA-DQ 1.6, 3.7 (NCGS)
DD#4 - HLA-DQ 2.5, 2.2 (Confirmed celiac)
DD#1 - Away at college

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

It looks like a mold inhibitor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natamycin

That's somehow grown by bacteria or soemthing? Sounds like it's not a gluten problem, but more likely your personal unpleasant reaction to a chemical. I get a bit of queasy from cheese with this in it if I eat a lot. Definitely not gluten though. I would doublecheck the cheeses you were eating to make sure there's no gluten problems aside from this ingredient though.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 jcbattle1

jcbattle1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

I didn't know if anyone might know where I can find an answer to my question. Recently, I have had a reaction to a couple of foods which I thought were gluten-free (I read the label and didn't see anything which set off warning bells). When I looked at the labels on these foods, there was an ingredient which I don't recall seeing on any other foods - Natamycin. Upon further investigation, I could find very little information on this product, especially the manner in which it is processed. It is apparently used as a mold inhibitor (I do know that I am allergic to mold........). The company which is listed is in China, so I sent them an e-mail, but I don't know what, if anything, will become of it.

Have you heard anything about this ingredient? I can't say for sure if it is causing a gluten reaction in me, because my "symptoms" aren't those of the typical celiac disease patient - I hardly ever get diarrhea or stomach upset. What I do get is itchy skin, the "fidgets", and bloating/weight gain. I noticed the itchy skin and the bloating over the past few days (I had only eaten one of the foods before yesterday, then ate both - then made the correlation).

One of the sites which I was directed to was Whole Foods Market, and they will not accept any foods in their stores which use natamycin, other than cheese slices (one of the 2 products which gave me problems - not bought at WFM, but at Sam's Club). I am not sure why they have this policy, so I have sent them an e-mail asking about that.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Obviously, I am not going to be eating either of these items again, but I am wondering if I need to worry about giving foods with this ingredient in it to my other family members with celiac disease / Gluten Sensitivity, or if this is just a coincidental allergic reaction on my part. Thank you so much -

#4 aija

aija

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

I would like to reply to your post. I think it is not safe to say that natamycin is gluten free. I have had a reaction to feta cheese treated with natamycin two days in a row now. I did as much research as I could, and although the bacteria itself doesn't contain gluten, it is fermented, and I could not find out what is used to ferment the natamycin. Many aged cheeses use a wheat product in fermentation. One article I did read listed wheat as a possible ingredient in the fermentation process.
I, like you, have various other symptoms when encountering gluten. Just prior to finding out I had celiac, I did have chronic diarrhea and vomiting. Now, however, when I run across a smaller amount of gluten I am prone to the DH rash, extreme irritability, and headaches as well as stomach pain if I get a larger dose. I will not be eating anything containing natamycin in the future.

#5 johne

johne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

I realize your original post is from quite a while back but I am going to respond anyway. I too have problems eating any cheese that has Natamycin in the ingredients. Usually, you will find this in pre-shredded cheeses, so i typically will just buy block cheeses and shred them myself.

#6 PatBrown

PatBrown

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

Even though these posts are really old, Infound it doing a search for natamycin. i have been gluten free for 11 years and not had problems. lately I have the rash and bowel and stomach symptopms. I really thought my low dose antibiotic might have some gluten in it but I have started reading labels. I eat amslice of this cheese(Sargento)everyday with my eggs. I usually avoid anything from China anyway so ill be skipping the cheese. I might suggest that also anyone reading this email the company and tell them why you wont be buying the product. I think that in numbers this tactic would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: