This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Diarrhea , Will It Ever Go Away?

Gf Jane

Gf Jane Newbie

OK. After about 20 years of diarrhea I am now diagnosed with celiac .I will try to make this concise. I have been (or THOUGHT I was on ) the celiac diet for about 10 months. After no improvement, I went to a new doctor (nurse practitioner ) who had me do a liquid only fast for seven days. I am now on day 3 of introducing ONE thing every 3 days. IE; Day one of eating again ( Thurs.April 22) , I chose quinoa . I had quinoa for breakfast and made it with some olive oil and a tad bit of sesame oil for flavor. Also added a half teaspoon of sugar for the breakfast meal. Had it with some of the gluten-free bouillon ( same kind I uses on the liquid only diet) for lunch and dinner. Next day( yesterday) pretty much the same thing only last night, I got my late night sweet tooth and had it with too much sugar, This morning, the terrible diarrhea that had started to get better, is back. Now, I have thought for many years that my diarrhea problem was a sever case of candida(yeast overgrowth). I was tested years ago for yeast and it was high. I can only guess that this morning's diarrhea ( and gas) was a result of the sugar and they yeast ? The goal of adding things in one at a time and waiting 2 or 3 days to add another food is to see if I have a reaction to the food.If the diarrhea does not go away, how will I even know I am having a reaction? I have never had cramping. I only had one very normal and one close to normal stool during the fast. I will say, that the clear liquids fast included jello and clear juice, both of which have lots of sugar. In general, I avoid sugar knowing that it feeds the candida , but do have my moments of weakness ... like late at night, the worst time to eat anything, let alone sugar! Anyhow, I wonder if, between the amount of sugar in the liquid diet and the sugar I had last night, I have diarrhea because of the candida or is it the celiac? I am very thin and can't afford to eat nothing nutritious for long, but the fact is the only thing that has given me a normal stool in a very long time. Well, OK I had a few here and there .I always attributed them to eating too much cheese at times? I just want a normal poop! :) Anybody have any words of enlightenment on this ?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Jane, sorry you are having it so hard. It reminds me a lot of myself. between 10 and 20 years of diarrhea. Finally I got the coeliac diagnosis, and with it came back a semblance of a normal bowel motion. But I still was not happy with it, as the weeks went it got to the point where it was really being a pain and I felt I was possibly not being careful enough, even though I had cut out most additives and was eating food that was quite plain.

Jane as you can't afford to loose weight, have you considered doing the elimination diet the other way round, and not being too stringent, but just pick on a few things that could be problems, like soy and dairy products, along with probably curbing your sweet tooth as sugar can cause problems. Then after a month or so, not sure how long, add one thing back at a time and see what happens

I started an elimination diet about 9 months into the diet, and I didn't think that made a difference even after three weeks. The things I cut out were soy, peanuts and dairy, which I thought were the main culprits, or the most common things people can have problems with. So I'm not sure what order I put things back in, but when I tried soy products, I did notice a change, particularly stomach pain and diarrhea, and since then have eliminated soy to the best of my ability, and probably about three months later, I was nearly normal again. In having said this, I was still quite loose, and even am now, three years later, but it is bearable and I'd rather this than constipation. Only recently I have cut down on maize/corn, and I have found it has made a difference too. No more achy joints and I think even an improvement in bowel motions.

I know it is hard, but stick with it, and hopefully you will get there. I found the first year the hardest, I was up and down so much.

Cathy

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
I am now on day 3 of introducing ONE thing every 3 days. IE; Day one of eating again ( Thurs.April 22) , I chose quinoa . I had quinoa for breakfast and made it with some olive oil and a tad bit of sesame oil for flavor. Also added a half teaspoon of sugar for the breakfast meal. Had it with some of the gluten-free bouillon ( same kind I uses on the liquid only diet) for lunch and dinner.

Hi Jane, welcome aboard! It is frustrating. It took me a very long time to work through things and even 3 years later I am still learning! I had to do exactly what you are doing and it took months to figure everything out.

Please don't kill me here but unless I read something incorrectly you actually added 4 things back in on the same day: quinoa, sugar, olive oil and sesame oil. There are quite a few people sensitive to qunioa and sesame (not in a gluten way but just in general). Maybe go back to the liquid diet for a few days and try one at time again?

Also, did the diarrhea stop or improve on the liquid diet?

I really hope you feel better soon!

Gf Jane Newbie
Hi Jane, welcome aboard! It is frustrating. It took me a very long time to work through things and even 3 years later I am still learning! I had to do exactly what you are doing and it took months to figure everything out.

Please don't kill me here but unless I read something incorrectly you actually added 4 things back in on the same day: quinoa, sugar, olive oil and sesame oil. There are quite a few people sensitive to qunioa and sesame (not in a gluten way but just in general). Maybe go back to the liquid diet for a few days and try one at time again?

Caseysmommy Apprentice

We took my two hear old to the GI doctor two weeks ago cause she was still having diarrhea She told us to take her off Juice and Canned fruit and fruit snacks. We did and its a huge difference. She said it was the sugar and it just goes right through her. Hope this help.

Gf Jane Newbie

OK. This is my THIRD time replying to people who replied to me. I am weary from writing now and frustrated because I can't seem to get my text to be posted. I will try , one more time with this to post and THEN re-write everything! Thank you all SO much!

tfrankenberger Apprentice

Have you actually been diagnosed with Celiac? If so, it can take some time on the gluten free diet to heal enough for the symptoms to go away. Depending on how much damage was done, your body wasn't digesting anything properly anymore...not even gluten free things. The healing has to get to a certain point that your body begins to digest normally again.

Maybe sticking to naturally gluten free foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean meats, staying away from dairy and too much sugar, and adding digestive enzymes and probiotics would be helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Sorry you are having trouble replying. To do so, click on "reply" in the post you want to reply to. It will give you the whole message as a quote. Go the bottom of that quote, and start typing. When you are finished click "Add Reply" down below and you should be right (and not frustrated). Later, in additional posts if you want, you can highlight the part that is quoted and delete it, if you don't want it in there. You will soon get the hang of it. If you don't want to respond to a particular post, but just want to say something, you just click the "Add Reply" button below the post, type in the empty space and click the other "Add Reply" button. Hope this helps.

ThatlldoGyp Rookie

Hi,

are you WASHING the quiona well before you cook it? Quiona has saprons that can really irritate your bowel if it is not rinsed off prior to use.

Just thought I would ask! Blessings!

- Gyp's Mom

Gf Jane Newbie
Hi,

are you WASHING the quiona well before you cook it? Quiona has saprons that can really irritate your bowel if it is not rinsed off prior to use.

Just thought I would ask! Blessings!

- Gyp's Mom

I am NOW! I read that a few days ago. I have been eating qiunoa for years and never knew to do that. I washed it yesterday and threw out the unwashed stuff. THis morning, my bowels seem to be a bit better. I decided to not add anything else yet because of this and just do quinoa for another day to see if it gets even better tomorrow morning. I also am only using a little olive oil on it and nothing else.

Thank you!

Gf Jane Newbie
Sorry you are having trouble replying. To do so, click on "reply" in the post you want to reply to. It will give you the whole message as a quote. Go the bottom of that quote, and start typing. When you are finished click "Add Reply" down below and you should be right (and not frustrated). Later, in additional posts if you want, you can highlight the part that is quoted and delete it, if you don't want it in there. You will soon get the hang of it. If you don't want to respond to a particular post, but just want to say something, you just click the "Add Reply" button below the post, type in the empty space and click the other "Add Reply" button. Hope this helps.

Thank you!

I think I got it now.

mattathayde Apprentice

well for me i had a good 8 years of it constantly and probably a good amount of it before that. i found out about celiac disease about a year ago and tried to do gluten-free (was lazy until about july of last year and messed up until about a month ago with a couple things i was eating and didnt realize they were not gluten-free) over all it got a lot better but took a while.

there are so many things that can mess up ones digestive system though, a bug that most docs will just not even know is there (usually a good applied kinesiologist can pick it up and give you a natural thing to take to get rid of it). i found that once i started taking a good vitamin supplement that really cleared up a lot of issues (at that was about a week ago that i started taking this, its made by thorne research and they say all their stuff is gluten-free and hypo allergenic).

something that could be getting to you is mold in your home, i have heard of people who basically were always sick with respiratory and GI issues and some died just because they didnt take care of the mold problem they had (not a huge mold problem either just enough that will get to you)

-matt

Gf Jane Newbie
well for me i had a good 8 years of it constantly and probably a good amount of it before that. i found out about celiac disease about a year ago and tried to do gluten-free (was lazy until about july of last year and messed up until about a month ago with a couple things i was eating and didnt realize they were not gluten-free) over all it got a lot better but took a while.

there are so many things that can mess up ones digestive system though, a bug that most docs will just not even know is there (usually a good applied kinesiologist can pick it up and give you a natural thing to take to get rid of it). i found that once i started taking a good vitamin supplement that really cleared up a lot of issues (at that was about a week ago that i started taking this, its made by thorne research and they say all their stuff is gluten-free and hypo allergenic).

something that could be getting to you is mold in your home, i have heard of people who basically were always sick with respiratory and GI issues and some died just because they didnt take care of the mold problem they had (not a huge mold problem either just enough that will get to you)

-matt

Thanks Matt-

I am getting a little better now. Eating WASHED quinoa ( I guess the soapy coating on it was the problem. My doctor says that it's ,basically a soap they use when administering enemas. Not good in my case!) and salmon . Today I introduce another food. It'll either be spinach or rice. I'd rather do spinach, but really don't want to grow to hate quinoa as I love it and worry that too many days of it in a row might ruin it for me. We'll see.

Mold is a problem where I live ,but I don't think it's too sever of an issue for me. I only moved back to here three years ago ( where mold lives everywhere!) and my symptoms are mainly diarrhea which were going on for many many years in the desert. I know that a damp climate can affect joint issues as well, but I am not planning to move anytime soon. I am taking good gluten-free supplements now along with extra vit D that has been depleted from the celiac. I know all about candida and feel sure I have it ,but also know that the sugar that was included in my liquid only diet probably exacerbated my symptoms. I had no choice though. I had to have electrolites and some calories and that was the only way really. I usually never let myself eat sugar except in a momentary rare breakdown.

Anyhow, things seem to be looking up a bit. I don't expect something that took a lifetime to develop to disappear over night. I will stick with the program as the reward is feeling good!

Archived