This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If No Dairy Too, What Can I Eat!

MTgirl

MTgirl Newbie

I just got tested for Celiacs and my blood test came back negative but I know for a fact that I have it and instead of going for an extremely uncomfortable colonoscopy, I'm choosing to just go with the diet instead! =) I ordered some books that should be here shortly but I want to start eating right now and I have read that while starting the diet, it can be smart to stay away from dairy as well but my questions is this.....what can i eat then! lol basically meat, veggies and fruit? what are people that are doing gluten free and dairy free eating every day? Please fill me in so I can have some ideas to get me through until my books come. Thank you so much! I love this site already!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

When people first are diagnosed their digestive system is in stress. It's recommended to start simply. Meats, fish, fresh veggies, potatoes, rice, fresh fruit are good for starters.

Dairy CAN be an issue but not always for everyone. And it can be reintroduced once some healing takes place.

Breakfast:

Vans Waffles

Eggs

Fruit

Yoplait Yogurt (dairy_

Sweet potato - yes their great

Lunch:

Left overs

Salads

Hot dogs in a Mission Tortilla

Lisa Mentor

When people first are diagnosed their digestive system is in stress. It's recommended to start simply. Meats, fish, fresh veggies, potatoes, rice, fresh fruit are good for starters.

Dairy CAN be an issue but not always for everyone. And it can be reintroduced once some healing takes place.

Check our the Products or Recipe Sections here for some great ideas.

tarnalberry Community Regular

yup, meat, veggies, fruits, nuts... that's rather a lot of food, actually.

the whole meat selection, the whole produce area of the grocery store, and - depending on where you shop - you can get soy/coconut/nut/rice based dairy alternatives if you choose to use them.

I think one of the things that makes us feel that our choices are limited is that we voluntarily limit ourselves to food other people have made - preprocessed/prepacked foods. If you eliminate that restriction, you will find that just eliminating five foods (wheat, barley, rye, oats, and milk) is actually not that much out of the hundreds of foods there are to eat.

(As mentioned, the recipes section has a number of threads that can help, too. ;) )

samcarter Contributor

I eat gluten- and dairy-free.

Breakfast is sometimes scrambled or fried eggs, with some sauteed veggies or a fruit smoothie (frozen fruit, a banana, fresh spinach, coconut milk and water to blend). Sometimes I have Rice Chex, with soy milk, but i don't do soy very often.

Lunch is sometimes whatever leftover meat and veggies I can find. Or i do a plate of cold cuts and crackers and fruit or carrot sticks. I love Mary's Gone Crackers, they're dairy and gluten free and so delicious!

Dinner--here are some dinners I make on a regular basis, the whole family likes them:

roasted chicken legs, mashed potatoes, veggies

Meatballs and pasta (gluten free for me)--i make the meatballs with instant potato flakes instead of breadcrumbs.

Breakfast for dinner--homemade hashbrowns, sausage or bacon, fruit salad, sometimes muffins (gluten free for me).

Burgers and roasted potato wedges.

Tacos! Without the shredded cheese, but tuck some avocado chunks in there. Yummy.

There are delicious coconut-milk based ice creams now (Made by So Delicious) if you don't want to overdo soy. But the soy ice creams are great too. Just read to make sure it's not a cookie dough ice cream or anything like that. I don't so soy yogurt often, but I have in the past.

Welda Johnson Newbie

Hi MTgirl,

I'm so glad that you are on the Celiac diet! For most of us here on this site, it has made a world of difference. Here's what I eat: mainly fruits & vegetables, with chicken & fish every once in awhile.

1. A fresh pineapple each morning

2. Wait 2 hours, then eat more fruit or green vegetables or

3. Genisoy Protein Powder (25 grams of protein, no carbs) made into cookie dough using Stevia Sweetener, a little

cinnamon & some vanilla); you can add any kind of nuts; eat raw or bake into a cookie

4. I choose from any of the following throughout the day and night:

Green salad with a variety of raw veggies

asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, tomatoes, onions, red bell peppers, baked or fried potatoes, sweet

potatoes, corn or rice (these are new) tortillas with refried beans, corn tortillas with enchilada sauce & soy cheese,

tamales, corn or rice spaghetti, macaroni or lasagna; Doritos corn chips, Dennison's or Hormel Chili, rice, gluten-free &

milk-free puddings, cookies, cake mixes, desserts; Namaste pizza mix; gluten-free waffles, pancakes, muffins, etc. (I've

found corn flour from the bins at the health food store to be very silky, economical, and tasty for a variety of

cookies and other items).

5. If I eat any animal protein, I always eat it last thing of the day, and mix it only with green salad or low starch green

vegetables (asparagus, green beans, etc.). This aids in digestion, and then the fresh pineapple the following morning helps digest all the food from the day before.

magpie Newbie

I think this is worth repeting , the meat counter is not safe , if the meat is cut up instore the chances of it being CC is very , very possiable , we really need to question everything we put in our mouth , we dont have to learn the hard way and its not just the meat counter but also the seafood counter sorry icon8.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived