This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Some Help From Thyroid People

wschmucks

wschmucks Contributor

After 2 years of chronic constipation, brain fog, chronic fatigue, weight gain and loss I just got back a thyroid panel. I have a family history and really fit all of the symptoms. The problem is that My TSH and T4 were "normal" but my T3 was really low. This points to the whole-- not converting T4 into T3 problem, which I know some Drs dont even really classify as an actual problem. I also show high cholesterol, Low Folate, and boarderline low Ferratin-- all of which are common with hypothyroid. I am worried that because my TSH and T4 are normal that my Dr wont treat it. I havent seen the Dr yet, my appointment is Wednesday. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did your Dr handle it and how might I approach this to make sure its treated (and I dont have to go hunt out a new Dr)?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

That sounds a lot like me. My TSH was 3.9 which is technically still normal by most lab standards and my GP. I always share my bloodwork and my Endocrinologist picked up on it right away and prescribed Armour. With the low T3 thing it's important to find the right medication as not all of them address T3.

lizajane Rookie
After 2 years of chronic constipation, brain fog, chronic fatigue, weight gain and loss I just got back a thyroid panel. I have a family history and really fit all of the symptoms. The problem is that My TSH and T4 were "normal" but my T3 was really low. This points to the whole-- not converting T4 into T3 problem, which I know some Drs dont even really classify as an actual problem. I also show high cholesterol, Low Folate, and boarderline low Ferratin-- all of which are common with hypothyroid. I am worried that because my TSH and T4 are normal that my Dr wont treat it. I havent seen the Dr yet, my appointment is Wednesday. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did your Dr handle it and how might I approach this to make sure its treated (and I dont have to go hunt out a new Dr)?

talk to your doc about subclinical hypothyroid. it took me THREE doctors to learn about it. i started thyroid treatment in aug (wasn't diagnosed with celiac until march) after nearly 4 years of the same symptoms as yours and "normal" thyroid levels. i felt a WONDERFUL change with the thyroid meds! no, my symptoms didn't disappear because i had celiac and didn't know it. but they were greatly improved. when my parents came to visit (i am 33 with my own kids) they said i was "back."

mushroom Proficient

Wow, this seems to validate my bogeyman behind every bush feeling which I keep trying to quell. I was the same as you, don't know where my cholesterol is now but I was always high HDL, low LDL, so overall high with the right ratio; low folate, low normal ferritin. My doctor just ignored the low T3 because the other two were fine, and in fact in a subsequent test the T3 had come up a bit, maybe because I was getting everything else in order. Maybe I will have it rechecked when I get to Nevada.

kellylynn Rookie

I also have normal TSH and t4, but really low t3. I have had all of the hypothyroid symptoms for a long time, but always had a normal TSH. Finally a new and wonderful doctor took the t3 level and was surprised I was even able to function. I am now on a combination of Synthroid and Cytomel. I was doing much better for a few months, and then my t3 level got just as low as before starting on the meds. I am now on a higher dosage of each as of just a few days ago, and still adjusting. Being on these meds makes my TSH extremely low, but my dr. says that is normal when on the medication. Apparently my brain thinks I have enough thyroid hormone, when my body clearly doesn't have enough.

I've found this website helpful:

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Praying you find a doctor that's willing to work with you. I had no idea how bad this is until I actually starting feeling better....hoping my new doses will get me back there soon.

wschmucks Contributor

The Dr wouldnt give me any medications he says everything is normal (in addition to several other idiotic comments he made). Any advice for finding someone who will treat me? To complicate things I just moved to Paris...how can I find the right Dr?

nutralady2001 Newbie

With thyroid problems you need FREE T3 and FREE T4 along with TSH. Also TgAb and TPO antibodies for Hashimoto's Disease

Normal is a cycle on a washing machine. A TSH over 2.00 is usually an indicator things aren't right FT3 in the top 1/3 of the range is where people feel well, in fact a lot of people feel well with it at the top of the range, FT4 around the 2/3 mark in the range

The FT3 is important it is what your body actually uses for energy etc

I have Hashimoto's Disease and take Armour thyroid. My TSH has been <0.01 for years, FT3 at the top of the range and FT4 around the 3/4 mark

Someitmes you need to find a doctor who will think outside the square

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
Normal is a cycle on a washing machine. A TSH over 2.00 is usually an indicator things aren't right FT3 in the top 1/3 of the range is where people feel well, in fact a lot of people feel well with it at the top of the range, FT4 around the 2/3 mark in the range

Nutralady, what do you think of these readings:

Free T4 14.2 (12.0-22.0)

TSH: 3.62 (0.28-4.20)

Free T3 3.3 (3.1-6.8)

Comments much appreciated.

nutralady2001 Newbie
Nutralady, what do you think of these readings:

Free T4 14.2 (12.0-22.0)

TSH: 3.62 (0.28-4.20)

Free T3 3.3 (3.1-6.8)

Comments much appreciated.

TSH too high............. the range for TSH is now 0.3-3.00 has been for a few years. Anything over 2.00 is worthy of investigation. People w/o thyroid disease have a TSH around 1.50

Free T3 far too low barely above the bottom of the range

Free T4 too low as well.It's a storage hormone that converts to FT3

It's an idea to have antibodies done for Hashimoto's Disease TgAb and TPO

I guess the main thing is how you feel. Do you feel you have hypo symptoms ?Are you on thyroid hormone replacement?

mushroom Proficient
TSH too high............. the range for TSH is now 0.3-3.00 has been for a few years. Anything over 2.00 is worthy of investigation. People w/o thyroid disease have a TSH around 1.50

Free T3 far too low barely above the bottom of the range

Free T4 too low as well.It's a storage hormone that converts to FT3

It's an idea to have antibodies done for Hashimoto's Disease TgAb and TPO

I guess the main thing is how you feel. Do you feel you have hypo symptoms ?Are you on thyroid hormone replacement?

No my doc thought my readings were okay, I guess. My main problem is that I am always COLD (shiver). Even when it's 75 degrees. As to how I feel, I really don't know. Low energy and stamina, but haven't felt well for so long I don't know if this is as good as it gets. Things did improve gluten free and with the addition of B12 injections, folate, and D3.

wschmucks Contributor

I REALLY think this is my problem. i JUST moved the Paris and dont speak French very well. Does anyone know how I can find a Dr who will help me? I am trying to find any resources for a refferal etc. I have been told seeing that most endochronologists wont treat it because of the TSH being normal, any thoughts on finding the right Dr?

mushroom Proficient

wschmucks, have you tried asking through the American Embassy. They often have good connections. At least they might steer you to a good person to steer you to someone else. Is your appt. (today I guess) in Paris?

wschmucks Contributor

Hi Mushroom. My appointment was yesterday and the Dr wouldnt give me anything --saying the results are normal because the TSH is normal. From all of the data I have gathererd you have to find a Dr who agrees with the ideaology of treating T3 abnormalities-- which is not a common belief among Drs even though so many people have showed such improvements. So I am trying to get personal referrals from people here who have been treated specifically for this. Its kinda hard though because I dont speak French very well at all. Otherwise I have to wait until I get back to the US in about 2 months-- you know what it feels like to feel like crap for 2 months. :-)

Mtndog Collaborator
The Dr wouldnt give me any medications he says everything is normal (in addition to several other idiotic comments he made). Any advice for finding someone who will treat me? To complicate things I just moved to Paris...how can I find the right Dr?

wschmucks- So sorry to hear that this is happening to you :( and in Paris where you don't speak the language. Some doctors rely solely on blood tests, some on clinical symptoms and some look at both. My doc didn't even test my T3- just T4.

Hypothyroid stinks- I have it and without my Armour I am sluggish, gain weight and get depressed.

I found this link Open Original Shared Link

I hope it helps. They also suggest you contact the US State Dept.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
I REALLY think this is my problem. i JUST moved the Paris and dont speak French very well. Does anyone know how I can find a Dr who will help me? I am trying to find any resources for a refferal etc. I have been told seeing that most endochronologists wont treat it because of the TSH being normal, any thoughts on finding the right Dr?

Well I would think an endocrinologist would be the best person to understand that you have issues even when your TSH is normal. But, I think there are two kinds of endocrinolgists and you really just have to try a few. But I don't see how my process here helps you in France... I found this site maybe they can point you in the right direction? Open Original Shared Link

I know how frustrating this is.

pele Rookie

Whitney--Here in the USA you would need a doc or nurse practitioner who specializes in functional medicine or anti-aging medicine. These are the folks known to who prescribe bioidentical hormones and often listen to the patient, not the blood test. There must be equivilant practitioners in France. Is there an alt-type or compounding pharmacy in your area? Maybe you could ask the pharmacist for a referral.

Archived