This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweaty-feeling Anus When I'm Active

AWonderTree

AWonderTree Rookie

I'm trying to put my embarrassment aside and be completely open about this symptom. Here it goes.

At times my anus feels as if it gets wet, like it sweats. When this first happened to me (2.5 years ago), I thought of it as a "leaky" feeling. However, when I use a baby wipe on myself, I don't notice any extra moisture, fecal matter, or smell on the wipe.

The symptom seems to have a connection with my eating and activity. If I eat a lot, I expect the "sweaty" feeling. If I eat moderately, I may or may not get it. As for the activity, I have to be walking, running, or, in general, be on my feet, to get the feeling.

When I planned to exercise with my friend, I tried skipping breakfast to avoid the feeling, and it worked! However, any other time I eat and then take a run, I can count on getting the feeling.

People tend to take short sniffs around me when I notice the symptom, but I don't smell anything when it happens (recall that I don't notice an odor on the baby wipe). I wonder if I put a smell of some strange sort in the air (foul or not, I don't know). As you can imagine, the symptom makes me quite self-conscious.

I've tried looking for other symptoms, even ones related to celiac disease because my aunt has it. I've come up with the following:

• I think I get full easily (I think, but am not sure, that I should be able to eat more. Note: I plan to see a dietitian.)
  • I think I should feel hungrier in the morning (or perhaps I eat too late at night).
  • One time I wanted some extra calories in me despite feeling decently full. I decided to eat a sandwich, and I ended up with a tingling/sick feeling in my stomach followed by a few hours of numerous stools that increasingly became closer and closer to diarrhea. The tingling/sick feeling followed by diarrhea has been a pattern when I "overeat," but I don't "overeat" often.
  • Right now my stomach is mildly rumbling, and I don't think that's warranted given what I've eaten today. (I need that dietitian more than I thought.)
  • My stools almost always come out in the form of smallish, separated balls. Maybe I'm wrong, but given the way I eat, I think my stools should be shaped normally (or maybe I eat too much fat?).

I feel silly asking, but does anybody think this might be a strange form of celiac disease? Any questions and insight are welcome. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

It doesn't sound like anything I've heard of. You could just make a quick Drs appointment. Wouldn't be the most fun exam, but it could rule out stuff like swollen lymph nodes.

• 2 weeks later...
enniomoricone Newbie
I'm trying to put my embarrassment aside and be completely open about this symptom. Here it goes.

At times my anus feels as if it gets wet, like it sweats. When this first happened to me (2.5 years ago), I thought of it as a "leaky" feeling. However, when I use a baby wipe on myself, I don't notice any extra moisture, fecal matter, or smell on the wipe.

The symptom seems to have a connection with my eating and activity. If I eat a lot, I expect the "sweaty" feeling. If I eat moderately, I may or may not get it. As for the activity, I have to be walking, running, or, in general, be on my feet, to get the feeling.

When I planned to exercise with my friend, I tried skipping breakfast to avoid the feeling, and it worked! However, any other time I eat and then take a run, I can count on getting the feeling.

People tend to take short sniffs around me when I notice the symptom, but I don't smell anything when it happens (recall that I don't notice an odor on the baby wipe). I wonder if I put a smell of some strange sort in the air (foul or not, I don't know). As you can imagine, the symptom makes me quite self-conscious.

I've tried looking for other symptoms, even ones related to celiac disease because my aunt has it. I've come up with the following:

• I think I get full easily (I think, but am not sure, that I should be able to eat more. Note: I plan to see a dietitian.)
  • I think I should feel hungrier in the morning (or perhaps I eat too late at night).
  • One time I wanted some extra calories in me despite feeling decently full. I decided to eat a sandwich, and I ended up with a tingling/sick feeling in my stomach followed by a few hours of numerous stools that increasingly became closer and closer to diarrhea. The tingling/sick feeling followed by diarrhea has been a pattern when I "overeat," but I don't "overeat" often.
  • Right now my stomach is mildly rumbling, and I don't think that's warranted given what I've eaten today. (I need that dietitian more than I thought.)
  • My stools almost always come out in the form of smallish, separated balls. Maybe I'm wrong, but given the way I eat, I think my stools should be shaped normally (or maybe I eat too much fat?).

I feel silly asking, but does anybody think this might be a strange form of celiac disease? Any questions and insight are welcome. Thanks!

I have exactly same symptoms and I know how you feel....I clean up good and I always wipe my bottom really clean and I wash with dove soap and rinse it with lukewarm water and dry myself good but when I get nervous or sweaty I feel that my ass gets little bit wet and if that happenes I notice people sniffs around me and I rarely can smell it but I think I smell like an ass as if I did not wipe my ass. It started happening couple months ago and I do not know what to do except clean my ass and dry as frequently as possible. I do not have any problems with eating or defecating.I excercise in the gym twice a week and I consider myself healthy.

I did some research and I thought that the sweating problem is connected to thyroid problem and I'm trying to look for a testing center in my area. Because some of the symptom described online as a hyperthyroidism applies to me such as sweaty palm,foot, fast heartbeat, not gaining weight, and shaky hands. If you have these symptoms you might have hyperthyroidism. I did not get tested for thyroid but I'm pretty sure it is because of the over producing thyroid.

I hope that you find a way to correct this issue because base on my experience it affect my relation with othedr people and my confidence. If you get a solution please reply to this comment so I could get an email.

r0ckah0l1c Apprentice

Oh my gosh! I've had all of those things happen to me! I had been told that it could be something known as short bowel syndrome, I would google it and see if you match the criteria! Also, it may be a side affect of IBS medication.

• 2 weeks later...
AWonderTree Rookie

enniomoricone:

I went through that cleaning phase too. I even coated my butt in deodorant a few times, but I eventually realized that it was all futile. Also, excessive wiping can actually cause irritation because it removes the anus's natural oils, so be careful of that.

My doctor said my thyroid is fine, and I don't have any of the symptoms you listed. In fact, my heartbeat is really slow.

Oh, it's affected my relationships too :(. I don't want to be around others but I want friends; I don't want to exercise in public but I want to be physically fit. Ugh. I'm sure you know how it is.

r0ckah0l1c:

I'm glad you made the suggestion of short bowel syndrome, but it doesn't seem to fit me at all. I haven't had any surgeries on my small intestine, and I hardly seem to have any of its symptoms. Also, I don't think I have IBS (have some constipation but no diarrhea), and I definitely don't have IBS medication.

Are you two both diagnosed with celiac disease? I'm unsure if I have it, but I'll be getting a biopsy for it tomorrow.

I'm really hoping this strange symptom is a reaction to gluten, but that's probably wishful thinking. If I figure this out, I'll reply to this thread no matter what. I don't care if it takes twelve years.

• 1 month later...
pmn Newbie

I realise this is a bit of an old thread, but I have exactly (and I mean exactly) the same thing happening to me. 22 male. Did you ever figure out what it was or is it still bothering you?

• 2 weeks later...
AWonderTree Rookie
I realise this is a bit of an old thread, but I have exactly (and I mean exactly) the same thing happening to me. 22 male. Did you ever figure out what it was or is it still bothering you?

Oh, wow, I'm also a 22-year-old male.

I still don't know exactly what's going on with me. I'm not even sure if something is or is not critically wrong with me on the inside. I wonder if I just don't know how to eat because the problem seems to be so connected with my food intake. I think I might have been eating meals that are too large for me but at the same time are too low in calories. (Yea, I've been a health freak when it comes to food, and I don't know if it's a result of the "sweaty" feeling or not.)

For a few weeks now I've changed my eating to be more regular. I've been consuming four very healthy and small foods a day (like cereal/sandwich/health bar/bagel) plus some drinks (water, juice, and milk). Every meal I eat has fruits and/or vegetables in it, and I put effort into incorporating healthy, calorie-dense food (like cheese, hummus, and lots of nuts). This pattern of eating seems to be helping; the "sweating" hasn't been as severe as it had been.

I have some questions:

1. Have you also lost weight along with this problem? Maybe from avoiding food in order to avoid the "sweating" OR from eating healthily? Sometimes I'm tempted not to eat a lot (to avoid the "sweating"), but I want to eat enough to get me through the day.
  2. Do you often feel full? Or too full to be physically active? I have a vicious cycle of thinking I need to eat before exercising, but after eating I feel too full to exercise.
  3. Do you often have trouble gauging how full or hungry you are? My pattern of eating four small meals has REALLY helped me with this one.

I kind of procrastinated with scheduling doctor appointments. My upper endoscopy for celiac disease came out negative, and I'll see my GI again in about 1.5 weeks. I still plan to see a dietitian.

Let me know if you get any insight about what's going on with you. I would appreciate hearing anything about it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

Did I misread your post or are you cutting back drastically on the grains? I don't have the same symtom as you but cutting back on grains really helped other symptoms for me.

Korwyn Explorer

Oh my goodness. I'm 40 now, but when around when I turned 19 or 20 (the same time some of my other visible symptoms showed up but went undiagnosed for 20 years) I started having similar problems including (occasionally) the wierd stools. I used to use baby powder all the time, and would constantly make quick trips to the bathroom to wipe myself. I would even tuck pieces of TP in there during the day, especially if I knew I would be busy or away from the bathroom. I never connected it with anything until I ran across this thread, but since going gluten-free/dairy-free/soy-free (and incidentally losing 35 lbs so far) this problem has cleared up 100%. I didn't even think about it until this thread and I was actually searching for info on Dove bar soap was how I stumbled on it!

Incidentally, since I'm preparing to go onto the GAPS diet (similar to the SCD) I have eliminated almost all grains from my diet as well. Natural foods, meat with animal fat - no processed fats, etc. But when I turned 20 and got seriously involved in martial arts I also began changing my diet substantially and eating much 'healthier'. Whole grain breads, etc.

• 2 years later...
Villagers5 Newbie

I have the same thing but I roll a paper towel up and use it to absorb the sweat.. I do not notice any smell till I use the restroom...it is a real sour smell but I am overweight and am real clean i always shower after doing my thing...it is anoying but the papaer towel works real well just dont use paper that is like t-paper it makes a mess...

• 1 month later...
ncallier Newbie

I have exactly same symptoms and I know how you feel....I clean up good and I always wipe my bottom really clean and I wash with dove soap and rinse it with lukewarm water and dry myself good but when I get nervous or sweaty I feel that my ass gets little bit wet and if that happenes I notice people sniffs around me and I rarely can smell it but I think I smell like an ass as if I did not wipe my ass. It started happening couple months ago and I do not know what to do except clean my ass and dry as frequently as possible. I do not have any problems with eating or defecating.I excercise in the gym twice a week and I consider myself healthy.

I did some research and I thought that the sweating problem is connected to thyroid problem and I'm trying to look for a testing center in my area. Because some of the symptom described online as a hyperthyroidism applies to me such as sweaty palm,foot, fast heartbeat, not gaining weight, and shaky hands. If you have these symptoms you might have hyperthyroidism. I did not get tested for thyroid but I'm pretty sure it is because of the over producing thyroid.

I hope that you find a way to correct this issue because base on my experience it affect my relation with othedr people and my confidence. If you get a solution please reply to this comment so I could get an email.

Do any of you actually have leaky liquid fecal matter? I'm not sure that this is a symptom of celiac disease, but I really feel that it is.

• 3 weeks later...
IrishHeart Veteran

Do any of you actually have leaky liquid fecal matter? I'm not sure that this is a symptom of celiac disease, but I really feel that it is.

You are replying to a post from 2009 and the original poster may not see it now.

Check the dates of threads before replying! Just FYI

Lisa Mentor

You are replying to a post from 2009 and the original poster may not see it now.

Check the dates of threads before replying!

Although the posts may be dated, some information can still be relevant . Or it can open the discussion to new research or more information that's available. That's why we don't delete old posts. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Just wanted the new poster to know that the OP may not see the question she has posed to him. He wrote the post in 2009.

But of course, if there is new research on this topic, it should be discussed. :)

psawyer Proficient

Does anyone have a new study to link to? The OP was last here on Jul 20 2009. enniomoricone posted once in May of 2009 and never returned. A dead topic, methinks.

Archived