This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swine Flu & Celiac

foodiegurl

happygirl Collaborator
So does that mean that Tamiflu is Gluten Free?

According to Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link, it is.

From a UK site: Open Original Shared Link - states it is gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I think moving it to Gab/Chat would be good.

I am concerned as we are due for a pandemic. I've read several articles on the subject (but I also think the media is blowing it out of proportion as they love to do). There are deaths with any flu but the way it has passed from person to person at the high school in NY is scary to me.

However, gemini is right that people with celiac have an overactive immune system, not suppressed. People on steroids, with HIV and antibiotics have suppressed immune systems. Mine is suppressed because I have Lyme and I'm on antibiotics so I'm a little more concerned.

I don't think having celiac makes us any more or less susceptible but it makes sense to take the normal precautions you would with any flu outbreak.

rumbles Newbie

Compromised is not synonymous with deficient. Generally,

there are three types of immune system compromises:

allergic disorders, autoimmune diseases and immunodeficiency

diseases. Because of their effect on the immune system,

vitamin deficiencies, chronic stress and lack of adequate/restful

sleep can lead to an immune system compromise.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, - quite the opposite: I'm

saying that we all need to make sure that we stay vigilant

on our diet and nutrition, get plenty of rest, exercise, practice

frequent hand washing and try to stay away from anyone

with flu symptoms, - and probably avoid large crowds where

possible. The same basic common sense that we use when

someone comes to work with the excuse that they have too

much to do to stay home.

From what I'm hearing and reading, statistically, so far it

doesn't sound as if this flu is any more lethal than the yearly

variety; the numbers that are in the news are the people that

went to a doctor or hospital, - there's got to be a whole lot of

people that just are riding it out at home with over the counter

meds and boxes of tissues.

Other than stocking up on some extra supplies and a bit more

gluten-free food, and following some common sense practices, I don't

think I'd get to concerned at this point.

YoloGx Rookie
Bea---

I was actually just thinking the exact same thing! I think God works in amazing ways and now that I have been gluten free for about a month I am feeling so much better and am hoping that if this does evolve into a pandemic...I am better protected for being so diligent in my food choices!

Hear hear to that!

Bea

RiceGuy Collaborator

I tend to agree about the media blowing this out of proportion.

According to the CDC, approximately 35,000 (or is it 36,000?) people die every year from the flu. I find it interesting also, that when there was a "shortage" of vaccine a few years ago, the number of deaths attributed to the flu was below average. Most deaths however, are of the very young and very old. One of the most hi-risk groups for contacting the flu, are nurses. And hospitals are a very common place for the spread of infectious diseases.

Let's keep in mind that pharmaceutical companies spend huge amounts of money on advertising. Major media companies like to keep their customers happy, and reporting on the spread of infectious disease not only fulfills this goal, but fills the airtime devoted to news stories. They like a media frenzy. It gets people to tune in. It generates revenue - not just once, but twice, since it gets people scared enough to get shots and take medications.

As others have stated, hand washing is one of the best thing you can do. That, and avoiding places where sick people are. And if you do get sick - stay home!

Lisa16 Collaborator

Iiiit's heeere!

Less than 20 miles from the large university where I teach-- a confirmed case.

Students are quite worried.

Just in time for finals week!

Well... I certainly hope Gemini et al.are correct. I agree about the media. I call the local news channels "horror mongers"-- they tend to get pretty excited around here about things like severe weather that never manifests and pandemics that fizzle.

That said, it does warrant watching and there is a danger in pooh-poohing the risk too. How tragic it would be if we all got wiped out by a media that cried wolf too many times. And many people will come into work or to class even though they are feeling sick. That is what our ethic teaches us. We are full of contradictions.

Here's hoping it comes to nothing. But if you have a fever of 104 you definitely need to go see the doctor and for goodness' sake don't go to work or to class!

mommida Enthusiast

My husband's company is pulling out employees out of Mexico. The last man out should fly in on Saturday.

The actions that are taking place right now are the actions that determine the future (pandemic or not). The company is acting on the threat that travel in and out of Mexico may be cut off. The employees don't deserve to get stuck in Mexico :blink: , but they may be bringing H1N1 to the US.

By the way, if you want to wear a mask, you would only get protection from a mask that guards against TB. Very uncomfortable and Hard to breathe in. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whitball Explorer

I'm not one to freak out about stuff on a regular basis, but this issue does concern me. Because of the genetics of this virus and that this has not been seen before is scary. The virus will mutate. Hopefully not into a super virus. To be cautious is good and to have a few days supply of necessities on hand is wise also, in the event that people do panic and make a mad dash to the grocery store if this becomes a bigger problem.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I found this article to be very interesting; with info coming from WHO via BBC.

Open Original Shared Link

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Just for reference:

The World Health Organization website is: Open Original Shared Link

The US Centers for Disease Control website is: Open Original Shared Link

Note: I didn't read the article linked above, just wanted to distinguish between a BBC (or any other news) article about the WHO and the direct WHO info.

lizard00 Enthusiast
Just for reference:

The World Health Organization website is: Open Original Shared Link

The US Centers for Disease Control website is: Open Original Shared Link

Note: I didn't read the article linked above, just wanted to distinguish between a BBC (or any other news) article about the WHO and the direct WHO info.

Pardon my poor choice of wording, it was getting late. The article is from the BBC with direct quotations from the WHO. I didn't mean to imply that it was directly from the WHO.

Sorry for any confusion!

happygirl Collaborator

Archived