Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Malt Vinegar In A Gluten Free Product

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a new product (new to me). It was labeled as wheat and gluten free but when I got it home and read the ingredients I saw it contained malt vinegar. I thought malt vinegar had gluten. Am I wrong?

Ads by Google:
I recently purchased a new product (new to me). It was labeled as wheat and gluten free but when I got it home and read the ingredients I saw it contained malt vinegar. I thought malt vinegar had gluten. Am I wrong?

Sounds like it might be a labeling goof. Can you call the company and see what they have to say.

Unfortunately, I didn't think of that and I already threw out the box. I believe the brand is Blue Horizon and the product is Fish and Chips fish bites. It's fish nuggets rolled in potato flakes. Is anyone familiar with this brand/product?

Malt Vinegar from Barley

if it is brewed is 'NOT gluten-free'

but if it is distilled it is gluten-free,

as no gluten proteins carry over during the distillation process.

Maybe the vinegar was RICE MALT Vinegar ???

Best Regards,

David

I've just about given up on products with vinegar (of any kind) because most of them just state VINEGAR! Hello,?? that's not enough, you know!

What kind of vinegar would that be. Living in a country with strong British roots it is most likely malt. They don't even say that, let alone whether they brewed or distilled it. Goodness only knows, there is enough brewing going on here I would doubt that it was distilled :lol:

See the response I received from the company:

"We do use a distilled malt vinegar. Products have been tested by third party. Gliadin is a glycoprotein that is an essential building block of gluten. Our testing validates that there is no wheat and no gluten."