Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Soy Intolerant... Need Help With Hidden Soy!

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 gfwarrior

gfwarrior

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hello! I am a Celiac but also intolerant to soy. When I consume soy, I break out in a horrible, itch rash on my hands that takes weeks to clear up. It seems that I cannot tolerate soy lecithin, as some people with soy intolerance can. My question... I've read that guar gum, gum arabic, carob, etc. may be hidden sources of soy. But I have some foods that are labeled "soy free" and guar gum is listed on the ingredient label. Turtle Mountain Cocunut Milk ice cream for example says its soy free but has guar gum in it. But yet I'm told not to eat guar gum if I can't tolerate soy. Does anyone know what this means? I would love to have some regular ice cream (I can tolerate dairy) but guar gum is in all ice cream (it seems).

And what about carob and gum arabic? I understand these aren't part of the protein in soy (like soy lecithin), but if I react to lecithin, would I react to these agents as well?

Sorry for the questions but I'm so confused!!

Thanks!
3 different tests all confirm gluten sensitivity
Gluten free as of September 2008
Tests show sensitivity to soy and casein, November 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Hello! I am a Celiac but also intolerant to soy. When I consume soy, I break out in a horrible, itch rash on my hands that takes weeks to clear up. It seems that I cannot tolerate soy lecithin, as some people with soy intolerance can. My question... I've read that guar gum, gum arabic, carob, etc. may be hidden sources of soy. But I have some foods that are labeled "soy free" and guar gum is listed on the ingredient label. Turtle Mountain Cocunut Milk ice cream for example says its soy free but has guar gum in it. But yet I'm told not to eat guar gum if I can't tolerate soy. Does anyone know what this means? I would love to have some regular ice cream (I can tolerate dairy) but guar gum is in all ice cream (it seems).

And what about carob and gum arabic? I understand these aren't part of the protein in soy (like soy lecithin), but if I react to lecithin, would I react to these agents as well?

Sorry for the questions but I'm so confused!!

Thanks!

Don't feel bad about being confused; most of us are in one way or another. Like, i have never heard of guar gum as having soy in it. I probably consume so little of and have so many itches that I am not aware of consuming it if it does have. I would be surprised though. I break out in very itch red rash from soy.

So like you, chocolate is a problem because I can't eat soy lecithin. There is apparently soy free carob available but I have never seen any. Enjoy Life choc chips are okay and I just found this post from 2006 on the forum:

"ALPROSE SWISS Dark Chocolate.
www.alprose.ch/

DAIRY and GLUTEN FREE - SOY FREE - Maybe CC with NUTS
Walmart has it hidden in the kosher isle.

Gray colored wraper, gold and white lettering. Perhaps they are old packaging? It's different then what apear in the euro site. They have a dark chocolate one stuffed with a hazelnut filling. To avoid dairy go dark chocolate. Since becoming a celiac I like dark chocolate better then milk or white chocolate its also yummy.

ALPROSE DARK CHOCOLATE BARS are about $2 or $3 a bar. "

Can't help with the gum arabic as far as soy, but I understand it does contain gluten.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 gfwarrior

gfwarrior

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:50 AM

Thank you for the Chocolate advice... I'll have to look for that the next time I'm in Walmart.

So you get itchy rashes from soy too? It's the worst! I didn't think guar gum could have soy being that so many of my foods have it but are labelled soy-free. But some websites will say that it may be a source of hidden soy. so who knows!

:)

Don't feel bad about being confused; most of us are in one way or another. Like, i have never heard of guar gum as having soy in it. I probably consume so little of and have so many itches that I am not aware of consuming it if it does have. I would be surprised though. I break out in very itch red rash from soy.

So like you, chocolate is a problem because I can't eat soy lecithin. There is apparently soy free carob available but I have never seen any. Enjoy Life choc chips are okay and I just found this post from 2006 on the forum:

"ALPROSE SWISS Dark Chocolate.
www.alprose.ch/

DAIRY and GLUTEN FREE - SOY FREE - Maybe CC with NUTS
Walmart has it hidden in the kosher isle.

Gray colored wraper, gold and white lettering. Perhaps they are old packaging? It's different then what apear in the euro site. They have a dark chocolate one stuffed with a hazelnut filling. To avoid dairy go dark chocolate. Since becoming a celiac I like dark chocolate better then milk or white chocolate its also yummy.

ALPROSE DARK CHOCOLATE BARS are about $2 or $3 a bar. "

Can't help with the gum arabic as far as soy, but I understand it does contain gluten.

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Guar gum, gum Arabic (also referred to as acacia gum), and carob have nothing to do with soy. However, guar gum and carob are derived from leguminous trees, so some who can't tolerate legumes might not be able to tolerate them. Being that guar gum (a fiber) is fairly purified, I think the chances of reacting to it because of legume intolerance is less than for carob, chocolate, soy, etc.

Soy is of course a legume, so perhaps this is where the confusion occurs. But again, guar gum and carob as ingredients is no indication of soy whatsoever. In fact, there are some products which contain sunflower lecithin instead of soy lecithin, so a soy-induced reaction from such a product wouldn't be from the lecithin.

On the other hand, xanthan gum is usually derived from microbes which have been fed corn, thus individuals sensitive enough to corn may not be able to tolerate xanthan.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 gfwarrior

gfwarrior

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

Rice Guy... Thank you so much! You have made that so much more clear! I was wondering why carob, guar gum and gum arabic were listed on some of my foods labelled "soy free". I don't have reactions to any other legumes so I'm safe eating guar gum, carob, gum arabic and xanthan gum, correct?

This makes it a bit easier to enjoy some foods I thought I should stay away from.

Thanks again!

Guar gum, gum Arabic (also referred to as acacia gum), and carob have nothing to do with soy. However, guar gum and carob are derived from leguminous trees, so some who can't tolerate legumes might not be able to tolerate them. Being that guar gum (a fiber) is fairly purified, I think the chances of reacting to it because of legume intolerance is less than for carob, chocolate, soy, etc.

Soy is of course a legume, so perhaps this is where the confusion occurs. But again, guar gum and carob as ingredients is no indication of soy whatsoever. In fact, there are some products which contain sunflower lecithin instead of soy lecithin, so a soy-induced reaction from such a product wouldn't be from the lecithin.

On the other hand, xanthan gum is usually derived from microbes which have been fed corn, thus individuals sensitive enough to corn may not be able to tolerate xanthan.

#6 Merika

Merika

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'll second RiceGuy.

Include in your list of soy foods: mono-and-di-glycerides. Also, depending on how sensitive you are: mixed tocopheryls and vitamin E (a preservative typically derived from soy, though it could be from wheat (rarely, if ever I've found), or synthetic).

Merika

#7 AudreyGest

AudreyGest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I just found out I am allergic to gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, legumes, and the list goes on. I was quite distraught when I picked up my favorite chocolate only to find it contained soy. But I found a brand that doesn't contain soy. It's expensive, but fantastic. It's called Askionsie Chocolate. If you like dark dark chocolate, it is heaven on earth. I find it at Whole Foods here in Denver, but you can order it online as well.

Audrey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: