This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Live In California Or Oregon?

Jamie

Jamie Contributor

I am going on a 2 week trip all the way from San Diego to Crater Lake in Oregon. I have already done a lot of research on places to eat, bakerys and grocery stores... but if anyone has any input at all on what places are specifically good.. that would be really helpful.. thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nasalady Contributor
I am going on a 2 week trip all the way from San Diego to Crater Lake in Oregon. I have already done a lot of research on places to eat, bakerys and grocery stores... but if anyone has any input at all on what places are specifically good.. that would be really helpful.. thanks!

Grocery stores: besides Whole Foods there are Trader Joe's all over California, and they carry a number of gluten free items, such as their own brand of gluten free pastas and brown rice tortillas and gluten free granolas.

I'm still working on finding restaurants besides Outback and Old Spaghetti Factory that have gluten free menus....I've been scared to eat out.

Have a great trip!

GottaSki Mentor

I live in San Diego. Trader Joe's, Henry's and Keil's for gluten-free groceries...lots of choice.

Open Original Shared Link for restaurant's...the website is great...i'm newly gluten-free so haven't eaten out much, but we check this website before we venture out.

SacGFGirl Explorer

I would highly suggest West Steak House or King's Fish House in Carlsbad, CA, slightly north of San Diego. In Santa Cruz there's a great sushi place, Mobo, and they're willing to accommodate. They even have gluten-free soy sauce on the tables. In the bay area Zadin is really good, and Amici's Pizza serves my fav gluten-free pizza. Then in the greater Sacramento area I'd suggest trying the burger in a bowl at The Counter and U Food Grill. And you really should make a trip to the Gluten Free Specialty in downtown Sacramento, one of three all gluten-free markets in CA. The staff is very knowledgeable and carry a wide selection of fresh baked goods, snacks, mixes, etc. Hope you have a good trip.

Mrs. Smith Explorer

Ive heard that The Cheesecake Factory is really good about accomodating food allergies. If you are in Eureka, its on the 101 between the Bay Area and Oregon, stop by Eureka Natural Foods they have tons of gluten-free items and a kick ass juice bar!

Jamie Contributor

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't know cheesecake factory accomodated.. I have one 20 minutes away from my house.. I will have to check it out. And speaking of sushi... I know if I buy it packaged... it usually has gluten in it... but is sushi usually gluten free when made fresh? Because the only ingredients are rice, fish, maybe vegies and sea weed.

GeordieLass Newbie
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't know cheesecake factory accomodated.. I have one 20 minutes away from my house.. I will have to check it out. And speaking of sushi... I know if I buy it packaged... it usually has gluten in it... but is sushi usually gluten free when made fresh? Because the only ingredients are rice, fish, maybe vegies and sea weed.

I read somewhere rice wine can have gluten in, just check!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SacGFGirl Explorer

You have to be careful about sushi rice, because it usually is made with a type of vinegar that has gluten in it. When I go out for sushi I order steamed rice instead of sushi rice, nothing deep fried, or with imitation crab, and no sauces, and I've never had any problems when following those guidelines.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

We were is San Diego last month and there is so many choices I want to live there. There is a Pei Wei, Chipolte and a Z Pizza. In Poway there is a Red Brick pizza and in Temecula there is a Pizza Fusion. But my absolute favorite is that the Whole Foods in La Jolla (right by San Diego) serves gluten free deli sandwiches made to order! They were the best! Amazing gluten free bread and anything you want on it! I got a turkey, bacon and avacado sandwich and it was enough for lunch and dinner!

Jamie Contributor
We were is San Diego last month and there is so many choices I want to live there. There is a Pei Wei, Chipolte and a Z Pizza. In Poway there is a Red Brick pizza and in Temecula there is a Pizza Fusion. But my absolute favorite is that the Whole Foods in La Jolla (right by San Diego) serves gluten free deli sandwiches made to order! They were the best! Amazing gluten free bread and anything you want on it! I got a turkey, bacon and avacado sandwich and it was enough for lunch and dinner!

:o That's amazing! I'm sure my boy friend and I will be looking for places to get a simple sandwhich... now I know I can stop by whole foods and get one. Thanks for the info! I will def be trying their deli.

brendygirl Community Regular

California:

In N Out (protein style burger, no pickles, no special sauce) you can have shakes and fries too

El Pollo Loco: chicken, corn tortillas, pinto beans, mixed veg.

Dippin Dots: all but cookie and certain candy flavors

Chick Fil-A: They have an online menu- I usually get a bunless chic. sandwich and AWESOME waffle fries!

P.F. Chang's: AsianThey have a gluten-free menu on-site and a wonderful flourless Chocolate Dome Dessert

Jose's (Mexican Food Chain): I usually get carne asada with corn tortillas, ask about sides

Joe's Crab Shack- those new steamer pot things are gluten-free, menu online

Chevy's- online menu

Ciao Bella- Riverside, CA has gluten-free pasta

Tony Roma's- most or all bbq sauces are gluten-free- check online gluten-free menu

Pickup Stix- check online for FAQs about gluten-free options

Yardhouse- has gluten-free options on menu, but most are without sauces

Clark's Nutrition- market chain with gluten-free items

Gelson's Market- I think they have gluten-free options, check online

Tia's Bakery- Marina Del Ray

Garlic Jim's- various CA locations

Sweet Addictions Bakery- Montclair, CA

Gemma's Taste of Eden-Grand Terrace, CA

Simply Gluten Free Specialty Grocery- Thousand Oaks, CA

PizzaSalad- Thousand Oaks, CA

I ate at Ashton Kutcher's restaurant, Dulce, by doing just the meat and veggie thing

The Original Pancake House (chain)- gluten-free pancakes

Gerard's Markets have gluten-free offerings

Ruth's Chris

Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt-most gluten-free

Jamba Juice- most gluten-free

Disneyland is very accommodating and has gluten-free pizza, etc. Especially Storyteller Cafe- you don't have to pay the entry to Disneyland to eat there

Michelle's Bakery- Redlands, CA will accommodate

Z-Tejas- gluten-free menu on-site

Pomodoro- Laguna Beach, CA gluten-free pasta

Ling and Louie's Asian Bar and Grill- Irvine, CA at the Irvine Spectrum Center has gluten-free menu on-site

Maggiano's- South Coast Plaza

Thaifoon- Fashion Island Newport Beach

The Vintage Tea Leaf- Long Beach, CA

Lots of the "hole-in-the-wall" Mexican places cook very authentic food, with a few ?s you can enjoy

Wendy's- I usually get the chili and baked potato and Frosty

Portillo's- (Chicago-style hot dog place)great salads that you can watch them make

Applebee's, Chili's, Outback, etc.

Archived