16 replies to this topic

#1 Lexi

Lexi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping! I am a very light sleeper, and wake up many times during the night. It takes me forever to get back to sleep each time. I was thinking of trying melatonin. However, on the back of the bottle it says that it shouldn't be taken by people with immune disorders. Why?? I am desperate to find something to help me get a good night's sleep. Not a big fan of Advil or Tylenol PM. Does anyone know about melatonin or any type of sleep aids that really work? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Aroostook

Aroostook

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Here is what I found, hope it will be of help. http://autoimmunedis...oimmune_disease

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Have you tried a sublingual methylcobalamin (active form of vitamin B12) supplement? B12 is vital for the production of melatonin. I recall other things are required too, magnesium I think is another.

Anyway, a good strong B-complex, plus a separate B12 may do the trick for you. A multivitamin would probably be a good idea too.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

I took melatonin for a while. Sometimes it help and others not. It did, after regular use, give me awful reflux. I stopped and it went away.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

I take melotonin at least once a week. I think it helps and its never bothered me, but now I'm wary. Anybody have an answer?

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

Here is what I found, hope it will be of help. http://autoimmunedis...oimmune_disease

From the link:

"Controversy over the Safety of Melatonin in Autoimmune Diseases

In general, although melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known, it is not recommended for people with autoimmune diseases or immune system cancers because of its ability to stimulate immune function. However, in numerous studies of people with specific autoimmune disorders, melatonin can modulate the immune system in a beneficial way. Studies show that melatonin can inhibit cytokine production and reduce inflammation. [JM Guerrero and RJ Reiter, Melatonin-immune system relationships, Current Topics in Medical Chemistry, Feb 2002; 2(2): 167-179]."

Isn't that just what we need?

best regards, lm

BTW, I just took some, so I hope it's OK! B)

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#7 flourgirl

flourgirl

Peaches

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:42 AM

I tried this for a while at my doctors recommendation. After reading the label I was wary, but still took it. For me it did nothing, anyway. It helps you for "fall asleep" but wanes in 4 hours. I have no trouble falling asleep.....I just don't STAY asleep. Yes, it is a naturally occuring substance in the body....but a warning is there for a reason. I tend to be wary of taking anything, so maybe I'm alarmed too easily. Anyway.....I guess it's an individual decision. Just not for me.
GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE
Theresa

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:05 AM

I tried this for a while at my doctors recommendation. After reading the label I was wary, but still took it. For me it did nothing, anyway. It helps you for "fall asleep" but wanes in 4 hours.

I have to take mine at least nine hours before I need to get up or I'm still sleepy. Even after nine hours I'm kinda still groggy. If I take it at 7pm, the affects are fully gone around 8 or 9am the next day.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

This is a funny drug in that the directions on my bottle don't say take one or two pills. It says don't take more than 3 milligrams (or something like that, I'm not home right now). Well, that could be some crazy # like 30 if I remember correctly.

I only take 1 (or two pills if I'm really serious that night). And that's only occasionally. It seems to make me sleepy within an hour. As for sleeping thru the night, I may toss and turn a bit, but never wake up completely. And the morning after effects (at that dosage) are minimal, especially compared to some other sleepaids such as diphenhydramine or ambien.

Sweet dreams all. -_-

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#10 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

After looking at the bottle, I am correcting some errors in my previous post.

The label say's "take 1 or more tablets at bedtime as Melatonin may produce drowsiness. Do not exceed 5 mg."

That's 5 milligrams, or 5000 micrograms. The pills are 300 mcg, or 300 micrograms.

So the maximum recommended dosage would be 16.7 pills (5000 divided by 300). Of course some people don't pay much attention to such things as recommended dosages. But still, 16 or 17 pills of anything is a lot in my book.

BTW, this brand is Rexall Naturals.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

#11 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

I am still unclear as to WHY melatonin is not good for people with Immune Disorders.

#12 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

I am still unclear as to WHY melatonin is not good for people with Immune Disorders.

Based on this:

It looks to me as if the jury is still out. It may rev up your immune system, or it may help regulate it. But the article also seems to indicate that these things happen when you take doses higher than those needed for sleep. So maybe it's not really worth worry about if you're only taking a bit at night.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#13 flourgirl

flourgirl

Peaches

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

I think it's like anything else....the manufacturer is covering their butt. IF you happened to have a problem, and IF you claimed it was from their product, they have a loop hole. Kinda like the warnings on packaging that tells you not to put plastic bags over your head :P
GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE
Theresa

#14 sugarsue

sugarsue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

Hi, I have to tell you, I struggled with this question too. I have Hashimoto's, an auto immune disease and my girls may or may not have celiac's. But we have totally embraced Melatonin. I need it, my girls need it. Without it, we may never go to sleep. Plus, it seems to help their behavior during the day. They can tell when they need it, when they know they will not be able to go to sleep. But as a general rule, we use 2.5 mg a night and we all relax and go to sleep with no ill effects.

When dd (6) was 3 I started using it. It saved my life. Before that, it took hours to get her to go to sleep. This was way before learning about gluten intolerance.

GOOD LUCK!

Susan
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

#15 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hi, I have to tell you, I struggled with this question too. I have Hashimoto's, an auto immune disease and my girls may or may not have celiac's. But we have totally embraced Melatonin. I need it, my girls need it. Without it, we may never go to sleep. Plus, it seems to help their behavior during the day. They can tell when they need it, when they know they will not be able to go to sleep. But as a general rule, we use 2.5 mg a night and we all relax and go to sleep with no ill effects.

When dd (6) was 3 I started using it. It saved my life. Before that, it took hours to get her to go to sleep. This was way before learning about gluten intolerance.

GOOD LUCK!

Susan

Let's see, that would be 2.5 mg (2500 mcg) / by 300 mcg (1 of my pills) = 8.3 pills. You probably have a different product than I have. Mine says "Not intened for use by persons under the age of 18. Keep out of the reach of children. For adults, take one or more tablets .....". Also, ""limit use to two months with a break of one week". Yikes!

Of course, when my girls were 3, Back in '84 & '86, we gave them cough syrup with codine so they could sleep when they had ear infections. That's what the doctor said to do.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: