18 replies to this topic

#1 lizjay

lizjay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:19 PM

Ever since I have been diagnoised with Celiac I can't seem to get enough sleep. I used to be ok with 7 hours a night and now sometimes a 10 hour sleep is still not enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

Are you getting:
1) enough vitamins and minerals from the foods/supplements you are taking?
2) enough regular exercise?
3) not too much stress?

(Just a couple things that come to mind.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:41 PM

lizjay, how long have you been gluten free? It can take a while to heal. Once you start the diet and you start the healing process your body is using a bit more energy for healing and that could be making you more tired. Tiffany's suggestions above are also excellent. Make sure that you are giving yourself plenty of time to rest during the day and getting as much sleep as you can at night. Don't push yourself too hard. If you are tired that is your body telling you to take it easy. If it persists then I would speak to your doctor about it. They should run some tests to see if you are getting enough nutrients. If you are anemic then you might need some extra iron. There are also other deficiencies you could have that could make you tired and having the lab tests done could help you to make sure your vitamins are providing the right amounts of the things you need.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:24 PM

What was suggested is a good thing to look into.
Also not eating chocolate or caffeine a few hours before bed.
Calcium right before bed can relax you and help you sleep.(I used to have the same problem but most of it went away when I went gluten free)
How long have you been gluten free?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:21 AM

I can sleep lots of hours if no one wakes me up. I am wondering if I am still healing or if I still more supplements. My iron is up to low normal range which is much better than it was 4 months ago. I know that I need more exercise than what I am making myself do. I take lots of supplements besides a mult vitamin. Another side issue could be menapause along with celiac if a female is at the age for this wonderful time in life. Let me know what you think? Always a joy to hear from you guys. :) :rolleyes: ;)

Mom

#6 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

You may also want to time your exercise and vitamin regimen. Try doing them earlier in the day and only stretching prior to going to bed. The calcium is a good idea. I use it and make sure it has a good dose of magnesium in it. I also sometimes have to soak in a tub of hot water to relax my muscles, but I also have fibromyalgia.

I am not sure there is a fix for the menopausal problem aspect. Some people swear by the soy supplements, but I react to soy and cannot use them. Between the FMS, the celiac, and the menopause, I am a hopeless cause!
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#7 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:32 PM

cdford

:) I don't think that there is a miracle for menapause symptoms either. I know before the new wave of hormone treatment,soy products etc., our ancestors just had to "grin and bear it". That is kinda what I am doing, just hoping it will pass with age. I am more in to- trying to keep my nutrition up to par, as well as as my mental state(EXERCISE HELPS). Thank you so much for your response , I really appreciate all the communication than I can recieve. :P

Mom

#8 Guest_usulasula_*

Guest_usulasula_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:08 AM

I have sleeping problems too. I go to bed at about nine but I can't get to sleep until at least eleven. The I wake up about five am. 6 hours sleep for a 12 yr old. Have you got any suggestions??

#9 namnammo

namnammo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

I alway fall asleep around 1 like usally and now I can't get up w/ out feeling sick past 9!

#10 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

I feel like that sometimes too. I have to go to bed around 9:30 and get up at 5:45 to feel right. If it's too late, then I feel absolutely miserable. Sometimes I'll let myself sleep until 6:30 if I'm real tired. I use to go on five-six hours, but I wouldn't be able to stand myself now if I did that. But, as already suggest, try to get good meals in, exercise. Also, keep a regular bed and wake up time.

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

#11 nurse diesel

nurse diesel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:27 PM

I know before the new wave of hormone treatment,soy products etc., our ancestors just had to "grin and bear it". That is kinda what I am doing, just hoping it will pass with age.

Hi, Mom.
Just my 2 cents worth on the joys of menapause...
You're right about the natural approach that seemed to work for generations and still works for other countries (the US is by far the biggest market for hormone replacement). Several years ago I began using progesterone cream, made from some type of wild yam. Check with a trusted health food store to see which brand they recommend. You just rub it on your belly or breasts (it's absorbed into the fat). The research behind this is explained in a book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menapause", and I'm sorry, I can't remember the author. Hang in there!
Tamera
(aka Nurse Diesel)

"well, I better learn how to swim
'cause the crossing is chilly and wide"
--Indigo Girls

#12 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:44 PM

Another thing to mention about being tired all the time - make sure you get your thyroid checked. That could be a symptom of hypothyroidism, which is common with celiacs......

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#13 JBlue

JBlue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

Ever since I have been diagnoised with Celiac I can't seem to get enough sleep.  I used to be ok with 7 hours a night and now sometimes a 10 hour sleep is still not enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never needed much sleep (6 hours and I was fine), but once diagnosed, I seem to wake earlier all the time....4-4:30 am, cant go back to sleep...etc....cant help but wonder why?

#14 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

I was about to ask this question too. I did two weeks gluten-free and felt fantastic. I was getting up early. Then I ate wheat for a week to get some blood tests. I was constantly sleeping, but that was with wheat. Now I've been gluten-free again for maybe 5 days and I'm still sleeping all the time. How do I know what is from accidental gluten and what is from healing?

The weird thing is, I'm so tired in the morning, and then I'm a total night owl after about 4-5pm. This is just the opposite of how I used to be.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#15 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

It may not have to do with celiac. Most people need 8-9 hours a night, and if you sleep 6 on one night, and 10 on the other, it will mess with your sleep patterns. Also, sleeping more than necessary can actually make you more tired, so try to sleep the same number of hours each night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: