Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Tight Clothing Cause Pain, Is This Normal?

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#1 lainey461

lainey461

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

Hello, I have been gluten free, except for a few mistakes, (vitamins) for about a month, feel a little better each day. The brain fog is gone for the most part! Still cramping occasionally, mostly at night, still eliminating things from my diet, that seem hard to digest, dairy, some nuts. But no matter how good I seem to feel, when I get dressed, with jeans or slacks, and sit down to put shoes on, my stomach starts to hurt! Is this normal? After removing the pants, and relaxing a bit, the pain subsides? Thank you for any insight on this!

On days I am staying home, I just wear loose fitting sweat pants, and don't seem to have a problem? Could this be do to the damaged villi? Will it eventually go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kaiess

kaiess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

I myself do not have Celiac and I have the same problem. I get to wear nice loose clothing (Scrubs) at my daytime job and then if I have to work at the community pharmacy later, I must change into slacks and dressier top. I am usually in so much pain by the end of the night due to bloating and the tighter waist (I even look pregnant). If I'm at home in comfy jeans I never have this issue. I know I have gas + bloating issues LOL but I've been tested for Celiac and I don't have it (just my son). I guess I'm not much help, but I'm right there with you.

#3 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

Yes that used to happen to me. It went away after I was healed and now I only have that problem when I get into gluten.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#4 lainey461

lainey461

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

Thank you both for replying! So many strange symptoms, I hate to blame everything on Celiac! I am a fairly new Celiac, and this board has been invaluable to me! Though I just started posting, I have been reading it for a while! Thank you to everyone who answers questions, and posts information for us newbies!

#5 Liveenjoylife

Liveenjoylife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

You could be suffering from I.B.S. Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

#6 lainey461

lainey461

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

Why do you say that, IBS, which I think I have also? Is the tight clothing syndrome more prevalent with IBS, than Celiac?

#7 Liveenjoylife

Liveenjoylife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Why do you say that, IBS, which I think I have also? Is the tight clothing syndrome more prevalent with IBS, than Celiac?

Yes, IBS can very much cause bloating and discomfort. My sister suffers from IBS as well. She complained of bloating and discomfort and how her pant were always too tight by the end of the day around her waist. When we both went to get tested she was diagnosed with IBS, mine was celiac disease.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

I myself do not have Celiac and I have the same problem. I get to wear nice loose clothing (Scrubs) at my daytime job and then if I have to work at the community pharmacy later, I must change into slacks and dressier top. I am usually in so much pain by the end of the night due to bloating and the tighter waist (I even look pregnant). If I'm at home in comfy jeans I never have this issue. I know I have gas + bloating issues LOL but I've been tested for Celiac and I don't have it (just my son). I guess I'm not much help, but I'm right there with you.

Just because your tests were negative that doesn't mean that gluten may not be an issue for you. Since your son is gluten-free I would suggest that you give the diet a good strict try. You may be surprised.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

I have the same problem. I also have IBS with Celiac, so I would say it's IBS off the top of my head...the funny thing is the normal reaction would be to get larger pants, but really they fit fine, until bloating kicks in..ugh then its a nightmare! B)

The strangest things...huh.

Best of luck!

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#10 lainey461

lainey461

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hi Salax,

Thank you for replying! Yes, these symptoms are strange! You're right, the pants fit fine, it's when I sit down! I am wearing extra large sweat pants, for now, but will the bloating, ever go completely away?

#11 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

Honestly, I don't know. I have had it for 9 years the IBS and the unknown celiac and when I wake up I am fine. Tummy is flat; soon as I eat I bloat, just a tiny bit. But if I eat something like dairy or soda...WOW! I am looking a little prego..ya know?

I try to buy stretch jeans and make sure any buttoned pants or shorts are a little lose for bloating, but not baggy. It's pretty sad I have to shop that way but it helps. Most of the time I want to live in cotton elastic skirts, but those would be hell in the winter! LOL.

Salax

( )_( )
(='.'=)

#12 lainey461

lainey461

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your insight! Yeah, I know the prego thing, all too well! I do buy all jeans, and slack that have a stretch to them, but it doesn't seem good enough! I noticed the jeans that don't sit right at the waist, a bit lower seem more comfortable!

I thought it was a short term thing, but I guess I'll have to start buying larger clothing! I always liked jammies too, but now nightgowns are more comfortable!

As long as I am not in pain, and no brain fog, I can cope! Thanks again!

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

I sometimes get some pain from seeing young women in tight fitting clothes myself. Ok, just kidding! :D

I had gas and bloating a lot before going gluten-free and afterwards for several months. It hasn't completely gone away but it is much better. I just have to be careful to avoid my triggers, gluten, sulfites, and dairy. I do take pro-biotics sometimes for this and digestive enzymes. I did want to mention one of my sisters had a problem with a large abdomen that turned out to be a benign cyst. So there can be other causes.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 lainey461

lainey461

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

HI gluten-free in DC,

Thanks for responding! Well, I haven't been gluten free for that long, only about a month, with mistakes! I'm starting to keep a diary of what I eat, so if I do make mistakes, I can backtrack! I think dairy is a problem also! So that's on the no list for now! Just been eating rice and chicken for a while, till my stomach calms down! I am also taking Probiotics. What are digestive enzymes? Are they different than Probiotics? Is it beneficial to take them at the same time?
Thanks for any replies!

#15 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

Just to add to this. Many digestive enzymes can contain gluten or dairy based ingredients. Please be sure to look at the labels. I love digestive enzymes, but the ones in my house I had to throw way after the diagnosis :(

They are extremely helpful though and would recommend them. Also the probotics are awesome. I actual take some at present and they are helping alot. I don't know if you can take them at the same time or not. I would either ask a doctor or a professional, I have an awesome GNC type place close to my house and they are very educated.

Best of luck!

Salax

( )_( )
(='.'=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic