This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tight Clothing Cause Pain, Is This Normal?

lainey461

lainey461 Rookie

Hello, I have been gluten free, except for a few mistakes, (vitamins) for about a month, feel a little better each day. The brain fog is gone for the most part! Still cramping occasionally, mostly at night, still eliminating things from my diet, that seem hard to digest, dairy, some nuts. But no matter how good I seem to feel, when I get dressed, with jeans or slacks, and sit down to put shoes on, my stomach starts to hurt! Is this normal? After removing the pants, and relaxing a bit, the pain subsides? Thank you for any insight on this!

On days I am staying home, I just wear loose fitting sweat pants, and don't seem to have a problem? Could this be do to the damaged villi? Will it eventually go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kaiess Contributor

I myself do not have Celiac and I have the same problem. I get to wear nice loose clothing (Scrubs) at my daytime job and then if I have to work at the community pharmacy later, I must change into slacks and dressier top. I am usually in so much pain by the end of the night due to bloating and the tighter waist (I even look pregnant). If I'm at home in comfy jeans I never have this issue. I know I have gas + bloating issues LOL but I've been tested for Celiac and I don't have it (just my son). I guess I'm not much help, but I'm right there with you.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Yes that used to happen to me. It went away after I was healed and now I only have that problem when I get into gluten.

lainey461 Rookie

Thank you both for replying! So many strange symptoms, I hate to blame everything on Celiac! I am a fairly new Celiac, and this board has been invaluable to me! Though I just started posting, I have been reading it for a while! Thank you to everyone who answers questions, and posts information for us newbies!

Liveenjoylife Apprentice

You could be suffering from I.B.S. Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

lainey461 Rookie

Why do you say that, IBS, which I think I have also? Is the tight clothing syndrome more prevalent with IBS, than Celiac?

Liveenjoylife Apprentice
Why do you say that, IBS, which I think I have also? Is the tight clothing syndrome more prevalent with IBS, than Celiac?

Yes, IBS can very much cause bloating and discomfort. My sister suffers from IBS as well. She complained of bloating and discomfort and how her pant were always too tight by the end of the day around her waist. When we both went to get tested she was diagnosed with IBS, mine was celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I myself do not have Celiac and I have the same problem. I get to wear nice loose clothing (Scrubs) at my daytime job and then if I have to work at the community pharmacy later, I must change into slacks and dressier top. I am usually in so much pain by the end of the night due to bloating and the tighter waist (I even look pregnant). If I'm at home in comfy jeans I never have this issue. I know I have gas + bloating issues LOL but I've been tested for Celiac and I don't have it (just my son). I guess I'm not much help, but I'm right there with you.

Just because your tests were negative that doesn't mean that gluten may not be an issue for you. Since your son is gluten-free I would suggest that you give the diet a good strict try. You may be surprised.

Salax Contributor

I have the same problem. I also have IBS with Celiac, so I would say it's IBS off the top of my head...the funny thing is the normal reaction would be to get larger pants, but really they fit fine, until bloating kicks in..ugh then its a nightmare! B)

The strangest things...huh.

Best of luck!

lainey461 Rookie

Hi Salax,

Thank you for replying! Yes, these symptoms are strange! You're right, the pants fit fine, it's when I sit down! I am wearing extra large sweat pants, for now, but will the bloating, ever go completely away?

Salax Contributor

Honestly, I don't know. I have had it for 9 years the IBS and the unknown celiac and when I wake up I am fine. Tummy is flat; soon as I eat I bloat, just a tiny bit. But if I eat something like dairy or soda...WOW! I am looking a little prego..ya know?

I try to buy stretch jeans and make sure any buttoned pants or shorts are a little lose for bloating, but not baggy. It's pretty sad I have to shop that way but it helps. Most of the time I want to live in cotton elastic skirts, but those would be hell in the winter! LOL.

lainey461 Rookie

Thank you so much for sharing your insight! Yeah, I know the prego thing, all too well! I do buy all jeans, and slack that have a stretch to them, but it doesn't seem good enough! I noticed the jeans that don't sit right at the waist, a bit lower seem more comfortable!

I thought it was a short term thing, but I guess I'll have to start buying larger clothing! I always liked jammies too, but now nightgowns are more comfortable!

As long as I am not in pain, and no brain fog, I can cope! Thanks again!

GFinDC Veteran

I sometimes get some pain from seeing young women in tight fitting clothes myself. Ok, just kidding! :D

I had gas and bloating a lot before going gluten-free and afterwards for several months. It hasn't completely gone away but it is much better. I just have to be careful to avoid my triggers, gluten, sulfites, and dairy. I do take pro-biotics sometimes for this and digestive enzymes. I did want to mention one of my sisters had a problem with a large abdomen that turned out to be a benign cyst. So there can be other causes.

lainey461 Rookie

HI gluten-free in DC,

Thanks for responding! Well, I haven't been gluten free for that long, only about a month, with mistakes! I'm starting to keep a diary of what I eat, so if I do make mistakes, I can backtrack! I think dairy is a problem also! So that's on the no list for now! Just been eating rice and chicken for a while, till my stomach calms down! I am also taking Probiotics. What are digestive enzymes? Are they different than Probiotics? Is it beneficial to take them at the same time?

Thanks for any replies!

Salax Contributor

Just to add to this. Many digestive enzymes can contain gluten or dairy based ingredients. Please be sure to look at the labels. I love digestive enzymes, but the ones in my house I had to throw way after the diagnosis :(

They are extremely helpful though and would recommend them. Also the probotics are awesome. I actual take some at present and they are helping alot. I don't know if you can take them at the same time or not. I would either ask a doctor or a professional, I have an awesome GNC type place close to my house and they are very educated.

Best of luck!

GottaSki Mentor

Ditto...clothes fit fine, even loose in the AM, tight by 2pm and unwearable by 6pm...fun, fun, fun! I'm at 41 days and have noticed that the bloating is slightly less...hope it's not my imagination!

lainey461 Rookie

I do hope the bloating lessens eventually! I will check at my GNC to see if it is feasible to take probiotics, and digestive enzymes at the same time! Thanks for all replies!

GFinDC Veteran
HI gluten-free in DC,

Thanks for responding! Well, I haven't been gluten free for that long, only about a month, with mistakes! I'm starting to keep a diary of what I eat, so if I do make mistakes, I can backtrack! I think dairy is a problem also! So that's on the no list for now! Just been eating rice and chicken for a while, till my stomach calms down! I am also taking Probiotics. What are digestive enzymes? Are they different than Probiotics? Is it beneficial to take them at the same time?

Thanks for any replies!

Hi Lainey,

I take Solgar brand vegetarian digestive enzymes. They don't have any wheat, dairy or yeast. They help to break down foods into more absorable form. Many plants have enzymes in them naturally that will digest them. That's why fruits etc often go bad so quickly, the enzymes in them are digesting them. I also take DPP-iv to help with minor gluten cc sometimes. It can break down small amounts of gliaden only, but they say it helps break down casein protein also.

Pro-biotics are bacteria that naturally live in your intestine and help digest foods, and they also can make enzymes. I see you are already taking some pro-biotics. Like Salax said, check for dairy and gluten in the pro-biotics, or any medicines or vitmains for that matter.

GottaSki Mentor
I also take DPP-iv to help with minor gluten cc sometimes. It can break down small amounts of gliaden only, but they say it helps break down casein protein also.

Good Morning-

DPP-iv -- only 7:12am and I've learned my something new for the day. Is there a particular brand you use? In what situations do you use or is it a daily thing?

Thanks!

lainey461 Rookie

Hi gluten-free in DC,

Thank you for sharing your insight! Do you take these products on a daily basis? The DPP-iv, do you take that just in case of glutening, as a precautionary measure, or when you know you have eaten gluten?

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Lainey and Gotterski,

I take Biocor brand DPP-iv myself. There are other brands available though. I take it if I try something new for the first time, and am not sure about it, even if it says it is gluten-free. If I was to eat out, which is very seldom these days, I'd take it also. I don't think it is a cure-all, it just seems to help some when I do mess up. My sister who has celiac turned me on to it, she said it helped her. So, I guess the answer is yes I take it a precautionary measure, and also if I think I may have got some gluten somehow. I have also tried using it for dairy casein digestion, as I've read it helps with casein, but it didn't seem like it did much for the dairy (for me). DPP-iv has been around for several years as supplement. It is a natural enzyme that breaks down proteins. Your body makes it in the small intestine.

This article talks about how DPP-IV production is decreased in celiac children.

Open Original Shared Link

Conclusion: we showed that DPP IV activity was altered in inverse relation to degree of intestinal mucosal injury and it can be a good unspecific predictor of the grade of mucosal villous atrophy. Our data also suggest that DPP IV activity correlate better with mucosal histology alterations than the ALP activity.

lainey461 Rookie

Hi gluten-free in DC,

Thank you for the info, I will give them a try! Since being gluten free, about a month, I feel much better, but not great. I've given up dairy, and am starting a diary of foods that I eat, don't know if it what I am eating, or just part of healing. I am very tired, and my stomach is still not quite right, still bloated and lots of gas. After reading the boards, I know it will take time, I am trying to be patient! :rolleyes:

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks for the DPP-iv info...anything that may help a little with the unknown situations like restaurants and friend/family homes is a big help. I'll give them a try.

-Lisa

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Lainey-

Hang in there...patience is tough some days...I'm at day 42 and feel a bit better...hoping the coming days will be better and better.

-Lisa

Archived