22 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I am new at this and have had alot of malabsorbation problems plus severe diarrea. I have lost 15 or more pounds and now down to 92 pounds with diarrea and just came from an ER visit last friday. They had me take 3 days of antibotics and said that it would stop the diarrea. I have had this for a month now and am off all gluten and wheat etc. I have ran out of insurance and on vitamin supplements but still sick. I am going to a county hosiptal for help with a new doctor on Monday. I cant get this to stop and 3 years ago I was so sick I got down to 69 pounds ... If you think you could help please let me know because all the stuff I am reading is getting a little over stimulanting. Thank you Kim Pelton

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

I am new at this and have had alot of malabsorbation problems plus severe diarrea. I have lost 15 or more pounds and now down to 92 pounds with diarrea and just came from an ER visit last friday. They had me take 3 days of antibotics and said that it would stop the diarrea. I have had this for a month now and am off all gluten and wheat etc. I have ran out of insurance and on vitamin supplements but still sick. I am going to a county hosiptal for help with a new doctor on Monday. I cant get this to stop and 3 years ago I was so sick I got down to 69 pounds ... If you think you could help please let me know because all the stuff I am reading is getting a little over stimulanting. Thank you Kim Pelton

Hi Kim :)

Have you been tested for celiac disease??? (blood tests or endoscopy with biopsies)
Have you had any other bowel diseases ruled out? (e.g Crohns disease)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#3 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

Here I am on a Celiac Sprue site trying to find some questions and don't even know where to start. My name is Kim and I am 48 and cant seem to find any help with this disease. I was diagnosed in 2005 with Celiac Sprue and at that time in the hospital weighing 69 pounds. Took my gall bladder out and cant remember everything that went on but now here I am again with severe diarrhea losing weight one week at a time. Doctors have given me antibotics and still no luck plus have no insurance left from all the doctor visits. I am going to the county hospital on Monday to start new Doctors but if you have a way to help stop this diarrhea or relieve it alittle please let me know. I am on a gluten free diet and only eating meat, veggies and fruit. Right now not eating very much because I am to scared too. NEED YOUR HELP Kim

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Have you tried Imodium? Many of us consider it a life-saver.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 ranger

ranger

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

Agree with peter on the Immodium. That's not much help, but I hope you feel better soon.

Susan

#6 Liveenjoylife

Liveenjoylife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

Have you been tested for lactose intolerant?? That usually comes with having celiac disease. I hope you get your self tested for celiac disease. And you are describing alot of the sysmptoms I had before I realized I can't have dairy any more. Take the dairy test because of your insurance you speak of. Cut all dairy out of your diet for a week or two and see how your body does with out it. If it stops all your symptoms that is your answer.

#7 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

Have you tried Imodium? Many of us consider it a life-saver.

Yes I live on the stuff. I quess I will go to the doc on monday and find out what else I can do. They also put me on belladonna which I hate to take because of the drug relation. I really hate meds and would like to stay out of that realm. Thank you so much for answering I am really feeling helpless

#8 ladybug44

ladybug44

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

Here I am on a Celiac Sprue site trying to find some questions and don't even know where to start. My name is Kim and I am 48 and cant seem to find any help with this disease. I was diagnosed in 2005 with Celiac Sprue and at that time in the hospital weighing 69 pounds. Took my gall bladder out and cant remember everything that went on but now here I am again with severe diarrhea losing weight one week at a time. Doctors have given me antibotics and still no luck plus have no insurance left from all the doctor visits. I am going to the county hospital on Monday to start new Doctors but if you have a way to help stop this diarrhea or relieve it alittle please let me know. I am on a gluten free diet and only eating meat, veggies and fruit. Right now not eating very much because I am to scared too. NEED YOUR HELP Kim

Hi Kim

I saw an article a few weeks back that a lot of people with celiac also are lactose intolerant, maybe this is the case for you

Hope you feel better soon (hugs)

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Fish, rice if you can do it for some fibre, applesauce, no raw fruits or vegetables, cook everything. Make it very easily digestible; meat is not easy. See if that helps.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yes I live on the stuff. I quess I will go to the doc on monday and find out what else I can do. They also put me on belladonna which I hate to take because of the drug relation. I really hate meds and would like to stay out of that realm. Thank you so much for answering I am really feeling helpless

If you're living on immodium and still having severe diarrhea, my guess would be Chron's (it's possible to have both celiac disease AND Chron's). Have you looked up the symptoms?

I agree with mushroom about keeping your diet very simple while you're waiting... are you also drinking enough water? :(
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#11 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hi Kim :)

Have you been tested for celiac disease??? (blood tests or endoscopy with biopsies)
Have you had any other bowel diseases ruled out? (e.g Crohns disease)

Yes they ran every test imaginable and I have Celiac Sprue. It has been 5 years since I have had very much trouble but now it is like it was when they diagnosed me. I haven't been checked for Crohn's or anything else. To be honest I hate the Doctors office thing and try to help myself with things like Imodium etc...... But I cant do this alone anymore. It is causing me to just stay home and now I am on leave of absence from work. I am seeing a doctor on Monday. Also have you ever had alot of sound in your stomach like gurgling but it never stops. Its very loud and is almost continuous at all times.

#12 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

Have you been tested for lactose intolerant?? That usually comes with having celiac disease. I hope you get your self tested for celiac disease. And you are describing alot of the sysmptoms I had before I realized I can't have dairy any more. Take the dairy test because of your insurance you speak of. Cut all dairy out of your diet for a week or two and see how your body does with out it. If it stops all your symptoms that is your answer.

Thank you for answering and I will try what you say on the dairy for 2 weeks. I love milk but not at the expense of my health. I had the tests for celiac and they were positive but haven't had anymore problems until now.

#13 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Hi Kim

I saw an article a few weeks back that a lot of people with celiac also are lactose intolerant, maybe this is the case for you

Hope you feel better soon (hugs)

I am going to try the lactose free and see if that helps. Thank you so much for replying

#14 Kimberly Pelton

Kimberly Pelton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

If you're living on immodium and still having severe diarrhea, my guess would be Chron's (it's possible to have both celiac disease AND Chron's). Have you looked up the symptoms?

I agree with mushroom about keeping your diet very simple while you're waiting... are you also drinking enough water? :(

No I have just resently started drinking water supplements but tonight I went out and bought bottle water and am starting to drink alot. I have never liked water but I am over that....haha thank you

#15 samcarter

samcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

This may sound simplistic, but have you been tested for rotavirus or any other virus or bacteria that commonly causes diarrhea? It could be an illness, not related to the celiac sprue.
Negative EMA test 8/08
Gluten free 8/08
Positive response to dietary change
Dairy free 3/09
Citrus free 5/09
Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: