10 replies to this topic

#1 gfpagan

gfpagan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:59 AM

A few weeks ago I made the Gluten Free Pantry sandwich bread and it was awesome! I kept reading on here about 365 (Whole Foods) brand that it was better and cheaper. So I tried it yesterday. Well, it burned on the bottom, didn't cook in the middle and made my smoke alarm go off! I think I'll be sticking to the Gluten Free Pantry.
~Erin~
gluten free since 4/13/2009

Getting married 5/1/2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eringopaint

eringopaint

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:11 AM

Hi Erin,

Sorry to hear that. I make the 365 Brand bread every week... though I have had to tweak the cooking time. In my oven it needs about 36 minutes otherwise there is usually a raw spot in the center. (The box says 30 minutes I think).
Also it tends to cook better when it rises above the top of the pan before putting it in the oven.
I've never had the burnt bottom though.
Did a big blog of dough flop over the side while baking? That used to happen to me - and that always set off the smoke alarm.
I really like this bread - but I am going to try the Gluten Free Pantry now.

Funny... I am running across a very high precentage of Erin's in all the Celiac groups!

thanks for sharing,
erin
erin rogers pickering

#3 nasalady

nasalady

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

Funny... I am running across a very high precentage of Erin's in all the Celiac groups!

:lol: There's a good reason that you run across a lot of Erins in Celiac groups! The Irish have one of the highest rates of celiac disease in the world!

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11482004

Cheers,
JoAnn
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#4 babinsky

babinsky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

Can gluten free pantry and 365 be made in a bread machine? My son was just diagnosed and he is away at college...I am trying to teach him how to do his own stuff, so I bought him a bread machine and some pamela's bread mix. It worked out well but it would be nice if he had some other options.
Confirmed by endoscopy and blood tests October 2007

Donna

#5 savvvyseller

savvvyseller

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

My recollection was that Gluten Free Pantry makes the 365 mixes for Whole Foods.

#6 gfpagan

gfpagan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:03 AM

lol, I didn't know there was a slew of gluten-free Erins around! Funny thing is I have no Irish in me, just my name.

Maybe I'll have to try it again, I didn't have anything flop over, it is still edible toasted, but just didn't come out as good as the gluten free pantry one. I thought I had also read that gluten-free pantry made the 365 one. Maybe something is missing because it was a little cheaper, no idea.

:lol: There's a good reason that you run across a lot of Erins in Celiac groups! The Irish have one of the highest rates of celiac disease in the world!

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11482004

Cheers,
JoAnn

~Erin~

Getting married 5/1/2010

#7 eringopaint

eringopaint

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

Nasalady - thanks for the link about celiacs and the Irish... I had heard that there is a very high percentage of celiacs in Ireland. In Italy too.

GFPagan - I guess having an Irish name was enough for you to get Celiac. :-)
I am 6th generation Irish/American. Some day hope to visit Ireland.

Babinsky - Yes the 365 brand can be made in a bread machine, instructions are on the box. Hope it works for your son!

erin
erin rogers pickering

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

In my experience, 365's yeast appears to be a "dud" . I went back to Gluten Free Pantry mix and I do not have the "dud" experience with gluten-free Pantry.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 gfpagan

gfpagan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

In my experience, 365's yeast appears to be a "dud" . I went back to Gluten Free Pantry mix and I do not have the "dud" experience with gluten-free Pantry.

Okay, at least it's not just me then! It did not appear to rise at all and though I would cook it anyway thinking maybe it would be okay. Back to gluten free pantry I go.
~Erin~

Getting married 5/1/2010

#10 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

If the only difference is the yeast, and if the 360 bread is more economical, it might make sense to buy the yeast packets seperately and just use good yeast with it...

Just a thought. I don't have a Whole Foods nearby, so I buy the Gluten Free Pantry or Pamela's online.

-Elizabeth
(Also of Irish heritage)
(Maybe we should organize an American Celiac Tour of Ireland group trip someday) ;-)

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#11 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

I bought this mix today for the first time ever. I haven't tried it yet, but I had no problems with the actual rising/baking of the bread.

Although, the dough almost ate my mixer and spatula. LOL :lol:

So, it finally cooled enough to eat it, I thought it was great. Best gluten-free bread I've had yet... not that I eat a lot of bread, but it was soft and delicious. :)
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: