8 replies to this topic

#1 hiphobokenmama

hiphobokenmama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

i just read somewhere that someone has to bring their own salt and butter to restaurants...salad dressing, i undertand, but what's wrong with salt and butter? this is the first i've heard of it so i'm concerned. my 3 year old was just diagnosed with celiac and we haven't eaten anywhere except McDs since then... but what's the deal?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

I know I have seen a saltine cracker in some shakers in Mom and pop type places. It helps absorb moisture. I dont' take my own salt and pepper to places. For me, those things are not that necessary.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:53 AM

I have brought my own butter, sour cream and salad dressing. I never thought of the salt issue... hmmm... now I will make sure I check! Living in a small town, we eat at a lot of "mom and pop" type cafe's.

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:57 AM

If a restaurant puts something in a salt shaker to absorb moisture it will probably be rice, not a cracker. Personally, I see no reason at all to carry salt or butter to a restaurant. I have yet to see a real butter that has gluten, and I don't think I've ever seen a margarine with it, either.

richard

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:03 AM

Alot of places that I have been to they have little packets of salt and butter. I haven't been out to eat alot since being diagnosed though but I wouldn't find it a concern. I still check the ingredients on the mini butters though.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:38 AM

Every place I go uses packets to avoid contamination with anything else. The salt shakers that are used by the cooks didn't have anything else in them because they used up the salt long before moisture was able to set in. The only place that did have something with the salt had mixed in pepper.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#7 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:09 AM

If a restaurant puts something in a salt shaker to absorb moisture it will probably be rice, not a cracker

I have seen crackers in shakers before.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#8 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:21 AM

My mom used to always do that! And in the sugar shaker, too. Rice would have gotten through the top for the sugar.

I hadn't thought about that.

Do restaurant butter-ish things sometimes have gluten in them? I have been avoiding anything that they might dip meat in first.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#9 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:28 PM

I always avoid using the pepper out unless they have a grinder available, but I had not thought to check the salt shaker. I do take butter with me to certain restaurants if they use margarines instead of butter because I react to soy and I have yet to find a margarine without soy in it. Thus far I have not run into any problems once I show them my restaurant card (every so often I have to explain the visit to the hospital problem if I get into something...that usually gets cooperation if nothing else does).
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: