26 replies to this topic

#16 Jaded

Jaded

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

thanks for the advice! i guess i could always bring alternatives to parties and stuff. like if im going to a place that has cake, i'll bring a gluten free candy bar or if im at quizno's or something i'll buy some chips. i do that sometimes and i feel less left out. but i haven't had pizza in years. i just cant seem to find a good gluten free pizza so if its not too much trouble, could ya send me ur recipe???? i miss that cheesy goodness very much! thanks again! p.s. nine inch nails rock. ;)

Have you ever tried chebe bread? it makes a great pizza crust and you can add cheese and make a cheese pizza. it's awesome!
Is anyone thinking anything at all? ..I know I had something to say, It lost it's meaning and it faded away.-the automatic automatic.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jaded

Jaded

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

I understand how you feel. i have had times at a restaurant where i will order a sandwich without the bread and the waitress looks at me like i am a freak. other times i'll get the sandwich with no bread and explain that i am allergic and ask for a salad with no croutons and they'll mess that up. then look annoyed when i ask for a fresh one!!

you'll start learning to cook more when you are older or just done paying the ridiculous prices! trust me, i only recently started baking and exploring...and its not so hard once you get the hang of it. i promise.

one good brand that makes sandwich buns in schar. you may find it on amazon perhaps.

here's some recipes that i know will turn out well if you ever do decide to try out baking.. of course it will require a special shopping trip because i have yet to find xanthan gum in a regular store..

http://killthegluten...e-brownies.html

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...hl=pamela's (the very last post has a bread recipe)
it also mentions pamela's bread mix, which means you would only need to use a bread machine or mixer and oven. it is really a good bread. i liked it alot

http://travsgoneglut...-chex-bars.html
a very good treat. you won't feel so bad about missing that cake!

i was diagnosed at sixteen. and i have a twin who is not gluten free and she refused to accept a gluten-free cake on our birthday...so have had to stare at my own cake without being able to taste it. eventually i decided it was time i could take care of myself. three years later (almost!) and i have made just about everything that i have ever stared at with jealousy... oh and one more recipe. poptarts are one thing that made me cry when i first changed to gluten free. if you're in the same boat give these a shot!

http://jacobithe-glu.../pop-tarts.html
hope this all helps at least a little bit

eh i don't like to bother with any recipe that has the xanathan gum. or shortening. did you know betty crocker has three gluten free recipes now? chocolate chip cookies, yellow cake (which we make donuts out of) and devils food cake.
Is anyone thinking anything at all? ..I know I had something to say, It lost it's meaning and it faded away.-the automatic automatic.

#18 exsandohs163

exsandohs163

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

I totally understand..I was diagnosed when I was 19 and before that I always went to random little restaurants with my friends. Then BAM I had to find places where I could eat and not get sick. But luckily my friends are awesome and we go to places that offer gluten-free food. Like UNO's (love their veggie pizza), Qdoba's, five guys burgers and fries, and places like that. I was told that I had celiac when I was 16 and also told that I didn't need to worry about it. :huh: But I tried the diet anyway. I remember eating lunch at school and my friends ate their pizza and spicy chicken sandwhiches and I sat there eating rice cakes and carrots. Now it seems like you can find ALMOST anything gluten-free. I buy kinninik(sp?) pizza crusts and they are amazing. lol It will get easier...I find non-gluten-free stuff disgusting now...lol

22 years old
photographer
diagnosed at 16 but told that the disease would never affect me
because of DH <div align='center'>

"re-diagnosed" at 19(started gluten-free diet)</div>

#19 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

It'll make for awkward times at work, too. I started it in college but during that semester I didn't have many friends so, lol, maybe that worked out in my 'favor' gluten wise. But there have been several times I feel left out food wise and...it's always awkward. I'm glad when people do react more like "wow you can't eat anything!" because at least then they understand. Instead of "Well you can have a little then, right?" and don't seem to understand how strident it is. I've had some people even get annoyed that I turned down their food at work b/c I wasn't sure if it was gluten free.

So yeh, I feel your pain. It sucks.
Gluten-free since January, 2007

#20 greenmatter

greenmatter

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

Great tips guys!!

#21 Fitze082

Fitze082

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:20 AM

Where do you find these buns and things?? so far all i've found are some cookies and some breakfast bars. Basically the gluten free section at the ingles market. i cant cook, every time ive order around a menu item at a resturant they mess it up and i send it back and by the time i get it back it's either a)still worng or b)everybodys done and i gave up and go home. my family doesn't really cook i'm an only child and my mother pulls long shifts at work. my dad doesnt cook either. so i'm up the creek without a paddle...can i borrow your paddle??

The brand Chebe makes and amazing pizza crust mix that is easy to make If you have a whole foods market you should definitely go there. If not, order offline. When I was first diagnosed there wasn't that much available and we had to order everything offline. A lot of it was even from canada. Get a good pasta. I love the brand tinkyada. Or try not to focus on what you cant have but what you can have. Eat simple things at home like salad or cereal. It won't be so bad to be around people eating it after a while. Its been 6 years for me now and the smell of breads makes me sick. If you make sure your friends know they tend to be understanding. Or challenge them to try eating gluten free. Oh by the way, if you ever send back a salad make sure you tell them to make it fresh or they might just pick the croutons out and send it back to you

#22 Fitze082

Fitze082

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:23 AM

yea i get that HEAPS, people makes jokes about me beingallergic to food in general saying that 'tepy is allergic to evreything' when someone offers me a cookie or something... its almost like people act like i am a hassle to be around-what the hell to the think its like to live this way..ignorant f*************** :)

I had a friend like that but she never meant it in a teasing way. She was learning what I couldnt eat and in the beginning it seemed like everything. so she used to say I was allergic to everything and its mother. Kinda weird but it made me laugh about the situation.

#23 poiuyanthony

poiuyanthony

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

i feel your pain :(
i used to love pizza soup cake and all that good stuff

and bam its all taken away

i thought it would just pass over but now, after about a year, i realized that its not going anywhere

my friends STILL bug me about it and it makes me furious
i feel like the odd one out
i feel so abnormal and helpless

but dont worry theres hope :)
ive learnt to deal with it by starring for 10 mins at the display menu and piece together an original piece of work that everyone would die to have (:

you just have to make the best of it since theres nothing we can do for now...
no one really know how hard it is except us
everyone has there own way of dealing with it

you can cook your own favorite food too :)

and try different gluten free flours to see which one tastes good

there are alot of beauties in life and food is not up there
you have to live an exciting life and learn to eat all u can so maybe your meal might not be different from others if you go to the mall caffeteria

ever since celiac i have taken a very good liking into chicken for some odd reason... but hey... whatever works ;)

all you have to do is try everything now and find out what suits you best :)

i myself am going through the same exact feeling and to sum it all up
being different is awesome sometimes :D
and being original and sticking out can be one of lifes greatest achievements <3
it has really opened my eyes
were all here for you (:

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

If you have a Godfathers pizza near you, check to see if they do gluten free. I haven't had it yet but have checked with the company & it should be done right. I have a 17 year old son who is not Celiac (I am) & he has a friend that he is worried about. She is Celiac & doesn't take care of herself. He tries to get her to eat right & now that I am diagnosed, he has some ideas of places the gang can go & she can safely eat. Also, most good junk food - candy & chips are gluten free, so contribute to the gathering. Good luck. If you need friends or extra moms, we are here for you & we don't care about your curfew.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 Rebecca Madrid

Rebecca Madrid

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

I felt that way too at first! Then I just started ordering around my Celiacs! Hamburger, no bun please! Then I pull a bun from my purse or hoodie pouch! Tater skins and cheese with bacon! At first the family was embarassed but I didn't care! I have to live too, and now they all laugh and support me! I have a great family who are supporting me! When I want pizza I make my own massive topping pizza at home and freeze what is left for another day! I have cookies, cake, donuts, and have adapted most of my recipes to my flour. Granted I am "old" (55) but I am just now starting to live. I have been sick for over 35 years and no one knew what was wrong. Now we do and I have time to make up for!! Drag your cookies along in your purse. Like I said, Pack a homemade hamburg bun in your purse too! Then you can enjoy too! Where there is a will there is a way! And you don't have to go without! If you can't find a good pizza recipe contact me and I'll share mine with you! Have a super day!
Starting my life over at 55! NIN's (for those who don't know that's Nine Inch Nails!) for ever! Living without pain for the first time in over 35 years! Aroostook, the CompUMom

I am in my first year of university and have had some mild symptoms since I was young, but just started developing severe symptoms over the past few years. After many doctors telling me i was tired, or depressed, I got annoyed and started heading to my own diagnosis. I came to my next appointment and told the doctor exactly what to test me for. Just happened to be right.

Im living provinces away from home and in a residence building with 102 other people, just 3 weeks into my gluten-free diet. I eat at a dining hall with everyone else. They have tried to help me by ordering some bread for me, and some cereal, they also have some pasta to make me lasagna. The problem is I can't go a meal without someone commenting on my "weird" food. It's impossible to avoid.

I'm learning to cope with being different at my meal hall, but the hardest part for me is social time. The house does a lot of events together, karaoke nights, open mic, dance nights, and many other alcoholic events. I have had some issues with finding things to drink at bars, pubs, or even the liquor store as the internet's information often contradicts itself. After so long being chronically sick, im scared to touch anything that may contain gluten and live off mainly salad.

After living the same way for so many years, is there any advice you can give me so I can go out with my friends and not feel so different? It would be nice to enjoy a night the way i used to, without the comments, weird looks and sickness.
Rebecca

Gluten-Free since Feb. 2010

#26 Hineys <3

Hineys <3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

yea i get that HEAPS, people makes jokes about me beingallergic to food in general saying that 'tepy is allergic to evreything' when someone offers me a cookie or something... its almost like people act like i am a hassle to be around-what the hell to the think its like to live this way..ignorant f*************** :)

I know what how you feel about that one. Some of my freinds just dont understand so they tell everyone that "If it tastes good, Helens allergic!" So annoying.
Gluten Free since January of 2010!

"Personally, I'd much rather regret something I'd done rather than something I was too afraid to do." - Batman

#27 Hineys <3

Hineys <3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

I totally understand..I was diagnosed when I was 19 and before that I always went to random little restaurants with my friends. Then BAM I had to find places where I could eat and not get sick. But luckily my friends are awesome and we go to places that offer gluten-free food. Like UNO's (love their veggie pizza), Qdoba's, five guys burgers and fries, and places like that. I was told that I had celiac when I was 16 and also told that I didn't need to worry about it. :huh: But I tried the diet anyway. I remember eating lunch at school and my friends ate their pizza and spicy chicken sandwhiches and I sat there eating rice cakes and carrots. Now it seems like you can find ALMOST anything gluten-free. I buy kinninik(sp?) pizza crusts and they are amazing. lol It will get easier...I find non-gluten-free stuff disgusting now...lol

You are a girl after my own heart. My sister has had Celiac for years but I just got it about a year and a half ago. I live of Kinninik pizzas! I eat them all the time! Ever since she told me about them, its like my safe haven. I take them with me to partys and stuff as a quick fix dinner while everyone else is ordering the real pizzas!
Gluten Free since January of 2010!

"Personally, I'd much rather regret something I'd done rather than something I was too afraid to do." - Batman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: