1 reply to this topic

#1 vl0218

vl0218

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:06 PM

Is it common for people with celiac disease to have allergies to other foods? Three years ago I developed food allergies to fish and chicken even though I had eaten them almost every day for three years with no problem. Then I started breaking out in hives and having breathing problems. Went to allergist and he ran food allergy tests and said I was allergic to chicken, fish and shellfish (I already knew about the shellfish.) That was when I really upped my intake of whole wheat products (primarily started eating pasta every day). Now I've had some bloodwork done that indicates I might have Celiac Disease and Vitamin B12 deficiency (plus neurological damage as a result of the B12 deficiency.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mannabbe

mannabbe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:55 PM

Have you heard about leaky guy syndrome? Here's one (of many) info links:
http://www.drscottri.../lgs_index.html

The basic idea is that when your gut is torn apart (which happens with celiac), your intestines stop functioning as a barrier to undigested food, yeast, etc, and lots of stuff that isn't supposed to get into your body DOES! When the undigested proteins et al. get into your body, your immune system sees them as invaders and you develop an immune response to them.

As an example: during my first year of celiac recovery I ate almonds every day as a way to try to keep my weight up. Soon I started noticing a reaction to the almonds, including abrupt temperature drops and shivering. I had an allergy test done, and was shocked to find out that I had developed a fairly serious IgE (traditional allergy) response to almonds. I am sure I developed that allergy just during that year.

I also can't eat casein (in dairy products), corn, soy, eggs - and I've been gluten-free for 3 years. I"m hoping to gradually recover the ability to eat these foods. But that's what 40 years of undiagnosed celiac did to me!
Laurie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: