3 replies to this topic

#1 tgrahek

tgrahek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

I am planning a family trip to New Orleans next month with my 3 kids, 2 of whom cannot eat gluten, milk, or soy. I sent an email to our hotel (New Oleans Marriott) and this is the response that I got. I should mention that in my email I only asked them to check their bacon and sausage to make breakfast easier when we arrived. I was so happy when I read this that I cried!

My team and I are looking forward to your families visit.

We will be ready with Gluten-free bread and breakfast pastries, and some other goodies.

Bacon and sausage are ok, we will also have a separate pot of oil for fries so there will be no cross contamination.

I will make a-trip to Whole foods and get some Gluten-free muffin mix and pasta.

We will be on-top your families stay for all meal periods not just in the restaurant but room-service if you would like too!!

Please feel free to e-mail me with any likes and dislikes and we will make it happen!!

(chef)

I have also emailed 8 restaurants in and near the French Quarter and some at the airport and I will be taking notes while we are there. I will post my experience when we return to save the next person some work!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kellylynn

kellylynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks so much for coming to visit our city!!

I'm pretty new to the gluten-free thing. Rio Mar in the Wearhouse District is an excellent choice for Latin inspired seafood. Also, there is a restaurant called Casamento's uptown that has all gluten-free fried seafood.
I'm happy to help with suggestions for anything!! We have an excellent zoo, aquarium, children's museum and so many other family friendly things to do!!

#3 tgrahek

tgrahek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

Sadly, Casamento's closes for the summer so we will miss it. Deep fried seafood would have been fantastic!!
I only got responses back from a few restaurants so that is disappointing. I did find out from Lucky Dog that there hot dogs and chili are both gluten-free. They scanned the ingredients right off the boxes for me.
We will try Landry's Seafood for sure. Napoleon House said that their jambalaya and red beans & rice are both ok. Johnny's Po-Boys also said that there red beans & rice are fine.
I also heard that Bennachin has some options but they do not have a website so I haven't checked it out.
We are looking forward to visiting!

#4 janelyb

janelyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

I am planning a family trip to New Orleans next month with my 3 kids, 2 of whom cannot eat gluten, milk, or soy. I sent an email to our hotel (New Oleans Marriott) and this is the response that I got. I should mention that in my email I only asked them to check their bacon and sausage to make breakfast easier when we arrived. I was so happy when I read this that I cried!

My team and I are looking forward to your families visit.

We will be ready with Gluten-free bread and breakfast pastries, and some other goodies.

I will post my experience when we return to save the next person some work!

When are you going? I will be there in early August for a conference in the french quarter with my son whom has the same intollerences as your family and so do I. I am very nervious about being there and I haven't come across too many places we will safely be able to eat at. There is 1 pizza place I am eager to try because they are organic and have gluten-free and vegan options. It is calledNaked Pizza. Bubba Gump seafood restraunt I contacted and they said they can accomidate for gluten-free. I wanted to try that deef fried seafood but I see you mentioned they were closed for summer, that sucks. I read somewhere that cafe beget had something but another friend who is a localsaid she would not trust it because there is language barriers there and they may give you the wrong one.

Please let me know when you are going so we can pass info along.
Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07
**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07
HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)
new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:
Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner
dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: