10 replies to this topic

#1 Lawrence

Lawrence

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Can people with Celiac donate blood? It seems like someone with Celiac, I don't see anything online against it but my doctor said they might not give it to a person. They might only do tests.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

Can people with Celiac donate blood? It seems like someone with Celiac, I don't see anything online against it but my doctor said they might not give it to a person. They might only do tests.

That's a good question. I stopped donating blood years ago but for a different reason--my blood clots "too quickly" plus at one point I had malaria ...

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

http://www.celiaccen.../celiac/faq.asp

Can a person with Celiac Disease on gluten-free diet give blood?
Yes, a person with celiac disease can donate blood.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 angieInCA

angieInCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

Yes, and I do every 56 days ;)

Transplanted Southerner in Sunny So.Cal.
Misdiagnosed 47 years
Diagnosed Gluten Intollerent Aug. 22. '08
Blood Tests Weak Positive to Negative probably due to low Gluten intake for 8 weeks before testing.
Opted not to have Biopsy.
Positive DH testing Oct. 30,'08
Gluten free since Oct. 28, '08

Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia May 10,'13

#5 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

I am unable to. Here where I live they don't accept blood donations from anyone that has an auto-immune disease
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#6 rosyrear1

rosyrear1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

I gave blood a week or so ago and I did tell them about having celiac disease and they had no problem with it.

#7 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:50 AM

As long as your iron level is good they will take your blood.

#8 Lawrence

Lawrence

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

Well I would like to give it a try soon. Years ago I donated once and then they called every two weeks or so asking for blood so my mom told them I had Celiac or something and they stopped calling. Also I was hemaphobic so my experience was not so good. I tried a second time but almost passed out and then they refused me. I would like to try again since I think I am outgrowing my hemaphobia. I will call today and ask just to double check because I plan on taking the bus. I don't want to drive home after my donation because it's about 1/2 an hour away. Thanks for the responses especially that site that said it's ok. Maybe in Australia they don't accept people with an auto immune disease which is interesting because I was unaware of that. I wonder what Canada's stance is? And the other Anglo speaking countries?

#9 Lawrence

Lawrence

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

I called today and they said it was alright as long as I bring a gluten-free snack. So I will go soon.

#10 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Maybe in Australia they don't accept people with an auto immune disease which is interesting because I was unaware of that. I wonder what Canada's stance is? And the other Anglo speaking countries?

It's only here in South Australia, other states may be OK. I know NSW is

I had to give up in 1994 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and unaware that I had Coeliac Disease.They said it was because the cause of AI disease is unknown
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#11 stick03

stick03

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

That's a good question. I stopped donating blood years ago but for a different reason--my blood clots "too quickly" plus at one point I had malaria ...

Bea

Could you go into more detail about your blood clots to quickly. The last 2 times I've donate I've had trouble. My blood slows down, but the move or twist the needle and it shot out fast. The most recent, the head nurse ended up just holding on to the needle, because any movement would make it slow down to a crawl. Had to be just the right angle.

I'm might be a little over cautious but my sister just got diagnosis with an extra protein in her blood and birth control could kill her.
And I will be get a blood test done soon for Celiac's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: