This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Duncan Hines Brownies

Mya

Mya Apprentice

Does anyone know if Duncan Hines brownie mixes are gluten-free? I dont have the box with me.........

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest barbara3675

No they aren't as are not any other commercially prepared regulare cake or brownie mixes. It sounds like you need lessons in how to know what is gluten-free or not. I am wondering how you could be gluten-free, if you could ask a questiong like that.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They are most definitely not gluten free. Hope this helps

angel-jd1 Community Regular
It sounds like you need lessons in how to know what is gluten-free or not. I am wondering how you could be gluten-free, if you could ask a questiong like that.

If this person needs help, then let's help them instead of making them feel like a heel. <_<

The brownie mix is made with wheat flour which is not allowed on the gluten free diet. Hope that helps ya.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Mya Apprentice

I'm fully aware of how to manage my diet, no lessons needed here.... and that is why I ask questions so that I can learn these things ....it's only been two weeks

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
No they aren't as are not any other commercially prepared regulare cake or brownie mixes. It sounds like you need lessons in how to know what is gluten-free or not. I am wondering how you could be gluten-free, if you could ask a questiong like that.

She is new to it and may not know everything yet...thats why we are here to help :D

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I agree Kaiti.

We all started out new here and it can be overwhelming to say the least when we begin. Heck, I have had it for 3 years that I know of but had symptoms at least 15 years ago. I went through the it's IBS, stress, depression etc. Anyway, sometimes it's still overwhelming.

Many times you will find people with similar symptoms, feelings etc. This board has helped me learn quite a lot.

Don't ever think any question is stupid or silly. Many times we can teach others and learn things by questions just like you asked.

Don't feel bad Mya, I only recently discovered through the board that modified food starch was gluten.

Welcome to the boards Mya!

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Welcome to the board Mya, two weeks on this diet is a very short time to learn. You will do just fine I'm sure. Keep asking questions :)

Guest nini

If you are wanting some really good brownies in an easy to use mix, I suggest Pamela's Brownie mix! Absolutely divine! I know Kroger carries it, Whole Foods, and most health food stores. Good Luck!

Mya Apprentice

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support :D

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Mya!

I know it can feel like your brain is absolutely swimming when you first start this diet. Despite a teeny bit of lack of support, the VAST MAJORITY of this forum goes by the motto: "No question is too stupid to ask...... we have all travelled down the same road......" ;)

So ask away! :D

I feel a little bit guilty :( - perhaps it was our other thread about Duncan Hines frosting and someone mentioning brownies in the same thread that got you confused.......

Karen

granny Rookie
If this person needs help, then let's help them instead of making them feel like a heel.  <_<

The brownie mix is made with wheat flour which is not allowed on the gluten free diet. Hope that helps ya.

VERY WELL SAID, Jessica. Granny

Wow!! I read Jessica's answer and just replied before I found all the other great replies. A big Huray to all the wonderful people on this board. I have been at this for 1 1/2 yrs. and learn daily and was told the very first thing that "the only dumb question, is the one that is Not asked!" It was encouraging then and still is. Granny

Guest Mari

Mya, I'm new to this whole thing, too. I was just diagnossed about two weeks ago. It is overwhellming. I keep reading about different foods, but I just don't know which ones to order, and they are all so expensive. Well, good luck!

Guest barbara3675

Barbara here, sorry Mya, I really did sound like a very unsympathetic jerk...that's not usually in my nature. There are fabulous brownie mixes that are gluten-free out there. They may be found at health food stores, Whole Foods (which are usually found in large cities or by large universities) or actually Bob's line has one and many grocery store are handling his stuff now. I shop at Pick and Save and they have it. I haven't tried his yet. Here is something I tried and it is just fab.....when you take the brownies out of the oven, pour a couple of large boxes of Junior Mints (which are gluten-free) on top. Just sprinkle them evenly over the top of the brownies, don't really use a knife to spread them. IT IS TO DIE FOR. I have found Bob's line of products to be good. I use their flour mixture in place of regular flour with good results, like in cream sauce or to thicken gravy. I used it at Christmas in place of regular flour in some of our favorite recipes, but I do have to say it doesn't work as well in a recipe that doesn't have a lot of moisture....the more moisture that was called for in the recipe, the better the substitution worked. Also you have to put some xanthum gum in to help with the rising of the recipe. I bought mine at a store that sells food in bulk.....I used about 1 t./c. of flour in the recipe. I know they handle it at health food stores. Everyone that has gone gluten-free has had some good results and some disasters while trying recipes. If you were wondering about bread, I have just discovered kinnikinnick.com. I ordered from there for the first time recently. They are a little expensive, but the sandwich bread is the best I have had. I actually had a sandwich without having to toast the bread for the first time since last summer!!!! And I LOVE BREAD. I ordered the buns which are pretty good and the donuts. The donuts are REALLY heavy, but not bad. The bad part is the $10 postage they charged. I took the bread to my health food store and they are thinking of getting it in for me. I hope they do. Do you know about the list of gluten-free food you can buy at the grocery store? It would be such a help for you at the point you are at. It can be found at www.napervillegi.com/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf It is 55 pages long, you will be surprised at all the good things you can eat!!!!!!!!!! Barbara.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Thank's for the link Barbara. Don't worry about your response, we can all be a little snippy at times, just ask my children!

Thanks

Sally

Guest nini

That's a good point about once you find a product that you've ordered online, if your local health food, or regular grocery stores don't carry it, ask them if they can get it in, or if they can special order it for you. A lot of times that will be cheaper than the postage.

I've taken a lot of the empty packages of foods I've really liked and taken them to the grocery manager at my local Health Food store, and she has brought them in just on my reccomendation alone if she can get them through her distributor. Also because of my involvement with them in educating them about celiac, they even created an entire Gluten Free Section! Not everything that they have gluten-free in the store is in the section, but it's a good cross section of items to get someone started who is newly diagnosed and not knowing where to start.

I've found with the smaller HF stores, that they are much more willing to work with their customers, so even if you are in the very beginning stages of learning the diet, get your local stores involved in your learning process as well. I've even persuaded the Kroger near me to stock a wider variety of gluten-free products!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Barbara-

I am going to have to try your junior mint idea. That sounds really good.

Mya Apprentice

Barbara

Apology accepted, no worries....thank you for all of the great information, I appreciate it.

Archived