5 replies to this topic

#1 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

Depression was one of my MAJOR symptoms before I was diagnosed. But I always wondered if it was the celiac or the fact that my blood chemistry was so jacked up. I was low on most everything-iron, b-12, D, E, and so on. Now that my blood chemistry is more in line, I'm doing a trial off the antidepressant. I have to say it is great! I didn't realize how numb I was on the medicine. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I took them when I did because I could have been dangerous to myself and others. But, being gluten-free and getting healthy is such a better alternative in so many ways. And, as much as they helped me, they did make me feel everything less. For example, I love to read and always have. Stories make me laugh out loud, cry, etc. That had been missing for quite a while. But this week I was reading one of the kid's books and I really felt it! I hope that this can stay in balance for me. I will go back on the med if I need to but I am really hopeful.

I think about all the folks I know with depression who aren't fully well on their medication. My mother was one of those people. It makes me sad to think how much she could be helped by just a dietary change.

I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:34 AM

It is really great that you are feeling better, and able to get off those meds! It should serve to encourage others too!

Although I've never taken such meds, being gluten-free has certainly been beneficial to my mood, and overall psychological and emotional wellbeing.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

THAT is great news! I love stories like this.......... :D
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#4 beanpot

beanpot

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Depression was one of my MAJOR symptoms before I was diagnosed. But I always wondered if it was the celiac or the fact that my blood chemistry was so jacked up. I was low on most everything-iron, b-12, D, E, and so on. Now that my blood chemistry is more in line, I'm doing a trial off the antidepressant. I have to say it is great! I didn't realize how numb I was on the medicine. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I took them when I did because I could have been dangerous to myself and others. But, being gluten-free and getting healthy is such a better alternative in so many ways. And, as much as they helped me, they did make me feel everything less. For example, I love to read and always have. Stories make me laugh out loud, cry, etc. That had been missing for quite a while. But this week I was reading one of the kid's books and I really felt it! I hope that this can stay in balance for me. I will go back on the med if I need to but I am really hopeful.

I think about all the folks I know with depression who aren't fully well on their medication. My mother was one of those people. It makes me sad to think how much she could be helped by just a dietary change.

I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

lifelong history of allergies, food intolerances, fatigue, depression, anemia
diagnosed with IBS - C in 2006
family history of celiac
gluten-free since 3/21/09
very postive response to diet

#5 beanpot

beanpot

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

Yes! I have been on Zoloft for 12 years, after the birth of my younger son. I had one 7 months drug holiday once. However, in the past few years, as long as I exercised everyday I was able to wean myself down to taking only 25 mg. Now, since I've been gluten-free, my depression has disappeared entirely even during stressful times, (which for some reason I've had more than usual lately).

So last week, I called my GP to get my Zoloft RX changed to liquid, which is easier than pills to taper down with. I've had much difficulty in the past trying to go off Zoloft, and gave up every time except once, and then got depressed and had to go back on.
Anyway, I start the process tomorrow, and expect to finish in a month or two.
Yeah for gluten-free!
lifelong history of allergies, food intolerances, fatigue, depression, anemia
diagnosed with IBS - C in 2006
family history of celiac
gluten-free since 3/21/09
very postive response to diet

#6 climbmtwhitney

climbmtwhitney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi.

That's great news! Good for you! :) :) :)

I've been off Wellbutrin since October (after going gluten-free in August) & feel just super without it. I'm not feeling any need to go back on meds and feel SO much more relaxed too. Little things just roll off my back which is great.

Like the other poster I started needing antidepressants after having children. I tried taking a break for about 6 months only to go back on them. Also, I was first on Zoloft. That one has to be weaned gently. I had major "brain zaps" (felt like electricity in my head). Whereas, the Wellbutrin was no problem at all to go off of. I just cut my dose in half for a few weeks then cut it out all together.

Good luck!
Jillian

I was dx Celiac 2008 + casein, soy, legume, & nightshade intolerant; dx hypothyroid 2006

14 yr. old daughter dx Celiac + plus casein & soy intolerant 2008
12 yr. old daughter dx gluten intolerant 2008
9 yr. old son dx Celiac 2008 + casein intolerant. DH Rash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: