This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamins?

Gluten Ogre

Gluten Ogre Rookie

Howdy,

My mom has celiac and I am trying to figure out which vitamin supplements are really important for her to be taking?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I don't know if I posted this in the right place but, I guess I will find out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

She should ask to be tested by her provider for vitamin levels, because it *really* depends on what her body has been able to absorb.

As a safe start, I'd go with a Calcium/Magnesium supplement (a 2:1 Ca to Mg ratio), and a VitD supplement. Fabulous for bone health and supporting the immune system (but not *stimulating* it, like some herbals can do - that's not so great for autoimmune issues including celiac if there's any chance you could get glutened).

Newbie Celiac Newbie

Calcium and Vitamin D3. Making it D3 is important since that is what the body absorbs. Also, take them both with food and the D3 especially with fat. I take mine with dinner as I'm more likely to have meat or butter or some sauce that has a bit of fat which helps absorption. My nutritionist said it was very important as many people take these pills in the morning and skip breakfast and then they are less likely to absorb any of the nutrients.

Gluten Ogre Rookie

Thanks for the advise.

Are there any other vitamins that I should be looking for?

Liveenjoylife Apprentice

I to take calcium and magnisium together. I also take b12 for blood cells, real good for celiac disease. and a multivitamin.

joellen Newbie

I am curious about that myself. It seems there are a multitude of opinions. The doctor that told me I had a gluten sensitivity (which I'm still not completely convinced is true), also recommended something called Ortho Molecular Products; Alpha Base Foundation Pak, which is a pre-packaged vitamin supplement combo. From what I can tell, it's multiple B vitamins, Omega 3's, vitamin E, and some other things. Each packet has about 5-6 pills. Then there's the magnesium supplement, the Vitamin D3 supplement, the iron supplement, and of course, the other stuff I normally take; Green tea extract, chromium picolinate, pro biotics, and my prescription meds. That's a lot of pills. Some before meals, some with meals, some after meals, some in the am, some in the pm. Seems I'm always swallowing a fistful of capsules. And honestly, I haven't noticed a bit of difference. Even in the vitamin categories, I tested in the normal range, but low normal for some. So, I guess not even "normal" is normal! It's hard to know if I'm being "sold" things I don't need, or if these really are worth the cost. And I'm pretty sure there are high quality supplements out there that cost less than what I paid; I just don't know how to find out what they are and where to get them. You can order anything, but which is the best quality for the money?

I also wonder about the probiotics. I noticed at Whole Foods, some of them are in the refrigerated section, I'm assuming to keep them fresh and perhaps they have "live" cultures? Would those be better? Oh, and digestive enzymes, I have those as well. As you can tell, I am a bit cynical and mistrustful, having been run round the block by medical professionals in the past, sometimes with detrimental results.

• 4 weeks later...
BBadgero Newbie
I also wonder about the probiotics. I noticed at Whole Foods, some of them are in the refrigerated section, I'm assuming to keep them fresh and perhaps they have "live" cultures? Would those be better? Oh, and digestive enzymes, I have those as well. As you can tell, I am a bit cynical and mistrustful, having been run round the block by medical professionals in the past, sometimes with detrimental results.

I can only imagine that the refridgerated probiotics are better as they are much less processed than the shelf pills... also, as far as vitamins, I've just picked up some great vitamines from BetterHealth that are soy, corn, gluten, dairy, and shellfish free... so far so good, and they do have the D3 and multiple B's....

As far as digestive enzymes - I can honestly say that I don't think they work (at least for me). I've taken them while dining out and still have gotten sick (although it may have been much less so possibly)...

Anyway, as far as vitamins, I just get the ones with least allergens and make sure I follow the rule "5 is fine, 9 is divine" when it comes to fruits and veggies.... nothing beats natural f & v!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BBadgero Newbie
I to take calcium and magnisium together. I also take b12 for blood cells, real good for celiac disease. and a multivitamin.

Hey Liveenjoylife, the comment about blood cells makes me want to ask you and anyone else here... anyone ever get a low white blood count blood draw result with everything else (including no fever, etc) fine? I had one recently with my physical and know I was just coming off of an episode of being glutened, etc. I read someplace on Dr. Laura Power's website that one of the T cell reactions could affect white blood cells in some way.... too technical for me, but was wondering if anyone else has had something similar?

Thanks.

shirleyujest Contributor

This is a question that's been on my mind too. I seem to go around in circles trying this and that supplement. Some I really notice a difference with, others not so much.

Like everyone says, Vit. D3, calc/mag and iron are musts for me as I've tested low in those. (not mag but must go w/calc).

I've tried probiotics, both the room temp. and fridge, never noticed a diff. Then again, this was when I was oblivious to the gluten problem so was not gluten-free. I would say for sure try and see what they do, and yes the point of the chilled ones is to maintain "live," although who knows how many expire before you get to them. (those capsules seem awfully stuffy :o )

Also I've done CLA capsules (conjugated linoleic acid, essential fatty acids), multivit and I especially like Solgar chelated multi minerals. Please someone tell me if they're not gluten-free, but based on my reading they should be. They break down in the large intestine where minerals are normally absorbed. They definitely have helped me in the past more than "normal" mineral supps.

Also anecdotally I've taken grape seed extract and vit. K to help skin healing, and I've noticed one or both of those helps cuts heal much more quickly and easily.

I've tried papaya enzymes to help with my reflux but didn't really notice a diff so stopped.

There are others I forget now but if you want to be ambitious put together a list from suggestions. Remember Vit A and selenium and even too much D can cause bad reactions so check w/doctor before having your mom take too much of anything.

jkr Apprentice
Hey Liveenjoylife, the comment about blood cells makes me want to ask you and anyone else here... anyone ever get a low white blood count blood draw result with everything else (including no fever, etc) fine? I had one recently with my physical and know I was just coming off of an episode of being glutened, etc. I read someplace on Dr. Laura Power's website that one of the T cell reactions could affect white blood cells in some way.... too technical for me, but was wondering if anyone else has had something similar?

Thanks.

I have had a low WBC for quite some time and I think I've had celiac since I was a child. I just got diagnosed last year. I work for a hematologist and she just calls it "cyclical neutropenia" but maybe it is due to the celiac. I will ask my GI doctor.

Archived