This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Free Pannukakku (aka Finnish Pancakes)

wendstress

wendstress Rookie

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, in an area with a very strong Finnish influence. Pannukakku is a traditional Finnish breakfast that is sort of like a custardy baked pancake. This is one of the things I went through mourning for when I found out about my Celiac diagnosis.

Anyway, tried it this weekend substituting Pamela's Baking Mix for the flour and it tasted PERFECT!!!! My folks were in town and they make this often the regular way, and they couldn't even tell the difference!

Pannukakku (Finnish Pancake)

1/2 stick melted butter (original recipe called for a full stick, I thought it was a little much!)

4 eggs

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup sugar

2 cups milk

1 1/4 cup PAMELA'S BAKING MIX

1. Spray 9 x 13 pan with baking spray. Pour melted butter into pan, set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs and salt until frothy.

3. Add sugar until mixed in completely.

4. Add milk and Pamela's Baking Mix and mix well.

5. Pour entire mixture into pan and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees F (or if you have a convection option, bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees).

Pancake should be a little crusty on the outside, and custardy on the inside.

Can be topped with any of the following: Cinnamon sugar (my family's favorite), powdered sugar, or your favorite Jam.

ENJOY!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

Sounds similar to a crepe batter. I had really good luck with gluten-free crepes. They're pretty easy to make once you get the hang of it , and more forgiving than gluten-free pancakes IMO.

best regards, lm

foodiegurl Collaborator

sounds delicious, and similar to an apple pancake I make. I am going to try it this weekend, thanks!

hermitgirl Contributor

hmm.. going to have to try that. Years ago we used to go to a restaurant in MN called Pannakukin(sp?). thinking may be the same thing? sounds really yummy though!

Wonka Apprentice

Good to know that the conversion worked so well. I used to make those all the time in my 20's. It was my special day breakfast treat. I would sprinkle icing sugar and squeeze lemon onto the surface in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Yum.

mommida Enthusiast

You can skip the step of spraying the non-stick spray. Put the butter in the baking pan in the oven. Wait for the butter to melt and tip the pan to coat the pan sides with the melted butter or use a spatula to coat the sides.

You can add some vanilla to the batter.

You can serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with maple syrup. :D

Wonka Apprentice

I always made these in a cast iron pan. Heat pan in oven, add butter till melted, then add batter and bake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpjourney Rookie

Thank you - will have to try this - I love Pannukakku, I sent it to my mother - she'd have to modify the butter and milk since she is lactose intolerant.

Being that I need to be carefull with sugar, I have found that stevia works well in baking. I'm also planning on trying alternative sweetners like agave and so on.

I have modified the recipe for Finnish Lattyja's ( laa tu yah's )- which are more like the crepe

4 eggs

2 TBSP sugar - or - 3 packets stevia

1/2 tsp salt - or less if desired

2 c buttermilk

1 c Bobs Red Mill Pancake mix

butter for frying

( i like to add flax meal and some Fibre Sure to boost the fiber content )

hand beat / whisk eggs and sugar together, add salt and buttermilk. (original recipe called for adding 2 TBSP of melted butter - but the butter for frying is enough )

Add pancake mix - slowly - you might want to sift it into the mix to prevent lumps, you can let stand for 1 hr to thicken a bit, but I like to start cooking after about 10 mins.

In a heavy bottomed pan, low to medium low heat, take butter stick and ligthly coat the bottom of the pan - using a small ladle - spoon in small amounts - cook like you would a regular pancake with flipping when the top is slightly dry. Move to waiting plate. Butter again, keep going until all batter is gone. IF - there are any leftovers, freeze to keep for later meals.

Tastes great with maple syrup, sprinkled with sugar, topped with fresh fruit or jam, what ever you might have with regular crepes. MMMMMMM good - you may not be able to build enough on the storage plate :D

Archived