This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Cake Mixes

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

The choices that I have are Whole Foods 365 White, 1-2-3 Gluten-free Yellow, or Glutano(white or yellow?). Pamela's is available but out of the running due to nuts. Namaste, we like alot but it is a bit heavy and alternative tasting for these kids I think. Any comments on the 3 choices? Thank you! Kiddo's B'day is Saturday and we had a plan for the cake but it didn't work out. :( so we're all bummed and I'm just not up to making one from scratch. Is there any hope that one of these mixes is good and good enough for gluten eating kids? I will be making homemade chocolate frosting that should be yummy and serving icecream so hopefully that will cover any minor differences.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

njbeachbum Explorer

I just made cupcakes this weekend for a friend's birthday with Cherrybrook Farms chocolate cake mix and their vanilla icing. They were very good (and I think their stuff is free of all allergens, so that may be another option for you!) One of my gluten eating friends said that it reminded her of a "yankee doodle" snack cake, in that it's a little more dense than a regular cake.

However, I've heard wonderful things about 1-2-3 Gluten Free... some here have said that it is far and away the best cake mix, but I have yet to try. I just don't make cake that often!

Good luck to ya!

Ky Celiac Newbie

Help is on the way. Betty Crocker gluten-free cake and cookie mixes should be in groceries by June! Devil's Food, Choc. Chip Cookies, White Cake and Brownies - of Boy!!!

mamaw Community Regular

Our fav would be Pamela's for a mix! WholeFoods is actually Gluten Free Pantry with a Whole Foods label.....

Betty Crocker mixes may well be very good but I'm guessing it has loads of trans fats.....

123 is good but again not as light as Pamela's.....

Annalise Roberts cookbook has wonderful moist, tender cakes & cupcakes.....very easy as well.

blessings

mamaw

hannahp57 Contributor

if wholefoods brand really is equivalent of gluten fre pantry then it would easily win my vote. i LOVE gluten free pantry cakes. they are SO good. i baked the white cake for our wedding and my husband ate half of it! and the chocolate is always in my cabinet because i just love cake. its not dense, and i cant tell you there's much of a difference between this and regular cake except mine have turned out a bit drier than is typcal for gluten cake. but its still yummy!

i recommend gluten free pantry with creamy fudge pillsbury frosting (if i remember rigt they are good about labeling allergens but always check it out for yourself)

good luck with the birthday!

missy'smom Collaborator

Thank you all for your input. Kiddo had a great 11th(1st gluten-free) birthday! I used the Pamela's after seeing several recommend it and double checking the ingredients on the website to find that it didn't contain almond meal as I thought it would. Silly me. Should have checked first. The kids didn't even know it was gluten-free and one kid had two pieces. Dh even said it was good and he doesn't like cake much! I was glad that I bought two packages though as the first one sank in the middle after baking :o It warned not to overbake so I baked for the shortest time listed and it looked fine and toothpick came out clean but minutes later it was not looking so good. So I baked the second for the full time listed and didn't mix as much and it was perfect.

Archived