4 replies to this topic

#1 r0ckah0l1c

r0ckah0l1c

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

I was thinking back today about foods I used to eat quite frequently and how I reacted to those foods. I don't ever remember reacting to Subway's bread, but perhaps I reacted but just not as quickly as I had to other products. Is this reason to question legitimacy of my gluten intolerance? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

some products contain more gluten than others. pure whole wheat bread has much more gluten than white bread. Subway doesnt have real whole wheat bread even though they have "wheat bread" options....i know white bread never really bothered me as much eirther. but I did get worse heart burn from it, just not as much gas/d/bloating as compared to white bread....

..hope this helps...

#3 Libbyanne

Libbyanne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for posting this question, r0ckah0l1c. I was questioning the legitimacy of my gluten intolerance as well after I had a sandwich from a place called Jimmy Johns - which uses plain french bread. I remembered it never bothered me before, so when I decided to go back on gluten (to get tested) that was the first thing I ate and I didn't seem to have any reactions to it. I also remember realizing, right before my self-diagnosed gluten intolerance, that the plain, french, white bread at subway didn't bother me as much as when I would eat the 9-grain Honey Oat bread. I too started doubting whether or not Gluten was the culprit...and I'm still dealing with it..sometimes I know for sure and other times I wonder...

Honestly, I'm a little frustrated right now and wish I could have a straight diagnosis so I would know how careful I need to be, or if I need to keep looking for the problem. I too, like many others, would like the diagnosis so I have more credibility when telling others I can't have gluten. I've requested to have all my previous blood work sent to me to see what my levels were when they tested me for Celiacs last year. Maybe that will help me decide whether or not to go back on gluten in order to be tested again (pretty much went back to gluten-free after my moods went haywire again from a 3-day gluten challenge). :unsure:

Ugh..thanks for letting me vent...

#4 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

OMG, maybe we can eat Subway. Maybe it's been gluten free all this time and we just didn't know it. :o

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#5 mama3122006

mama3122006

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

OMG, maybe we can eat Subway. Maybe it's been gluten free all this time and we just didn't know it. :o

best regards, lm

Sorry, guys. I actually worked at Subway for about 3 years. It's DEFINATELY not gluten free!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: