26 replies to this topic

#1 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

I hate to even think this, b/c we luuuuuurve the new Chex, especially the Honey Nut, and I am thrilled to have new cereal.

But, my little girl has been showing signs of gluten exposure, and this is the only new thing we've added recently. We've had the Rice Chex before, but this is the first time we've eaten ALOT of Chex. Since we found the new flavors that say gluten free, she's had some for breakfast, and for snacks pretty much every day.

Does anyone know for sure if they actually removed the barley malt? I'm just asking, b/c the Rice Dream farse is still fresh in my mind, where they quietly removed the barley malt from their ingredient list, still kept it in the milk, but labeled it gluten free.

I'm sure this is not it, and I'll check with General Mills tomorrow, but just curious if anyone is having any problems with these new cereals. Thanks!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

Nevermind, I checked the GM site, and the malt was replaced with molasses. That's good to know....but I am noticing that my dd seems to react to alot of mainstream products that are gluten free by the "standards", but made by companies that produce wheat products as well. This makes navigating the gluten free world a little trickier, if you're a Celiac who can't tolerate less than the standard of 20ppm.

Age 11 - Psoriasis

#3 WW340

WW340

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

I am very sensitive and I have had no problems with the new honey nut chex. I cannot eat a lot of any kind of grain, even gluten free grains. I get symptoms similar to glutening when I over do it. Could your daughter be eating more grains than she is accustom to eating?
Positive Bloodwork January 2007
Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007
Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

#4 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Maybe that is it......we really don't eat alot of grains b/c they just seem to cause tummy aches for everyone. I didn't even think to put cereal in the grain category, lol. We all have pretty sensitive stomachs, so that makes alot of sense. Thanks so much!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

#5 ENF

ENF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

I haven't tried Honey Nut Chex because it's mostly corn, which is hard for many people to digest. I do occasionally enjoy the gluten-free rice-based Chex product.
Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

#6 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

I bought a box of the honey nut chex that said gluten free. I got home and poured a bowl and chowed down. an hour later and i was too tired to move and my stomach was cramped up. I never got sick just the pains. I cannot say whether it was the chex or not... i haven't tried them again. I think maybe take them back out of the diet and re-introduce them later in a smaller amount. I don't want to make anyone paranoid to eat them because i eat the plain rice chex just fine so i know GM knows how to safely produce a gluten free cereal. Maybe it was just bad luck <_<

#7 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

I bought a box of the honey nut chex that said gluten free. I got home and poured a bowl and chowed down. an hour later and i was too tired to move and my stomach was cramped up. I never got sick just the pains. I cannot say whether it was the chex or not... i haven't tried them again. I think maybe take them back out of the diet and re-introduce them later in a smaller amount. I don't want to make anyone paranoid to eat them because i eat the plain rice chex just fine so i know GM knows how to safely produce a gluten free cereal. Maybe it was just bad luck <_<

We've eaten the Rice chex w/out problems too....maybe it's just something about the corn. Who knows, I threw them out today after my dd tore apart her room in a tantrum! I love that all these mainstream companies are coming out with gluten free products, but part of me is still a little skeptical. Gluten free is very trendy right now, and I can't help but think of companies like Rice Dream and Wellshire Farms who played dirty to keep a gluten free label. Just my two cents as a parnoid mom trying to keep my dd well, lol. I think we'll steer clear of anything new for a while, that's always our safest bet!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

#8 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

I hate to even think this, b/c we luuuuuurve the new Chex, especially the Honey Nut, and I am thrilled to have new cereal.

But, my little girl has been showing signs of gluten exposure, and this is the only new thing we've added recently. We've had the Rice Chex before, but this is the first time we've eaten ALOT of Chex. Since we found the new flavors that say gluten free, she's had some for breakfast, and for snacks pretty much every day.

Does anyone know for sure if they actually removed the barley malt? I'm just asking, b/c the Rice Dream farse is still fresh in my mind, where they quietly removed the barley malt from their ingredient list, still kept it in the milk, but labeled it gluten free.

I'm sure this is not it, and I'll check with General Mills tomorrow, but just curious if anyone is having any problems with these new cereals. Thanks!

Dear taweavmo3,
I was angry about the Rice Dream situation as well. :angry: It is infuriating, but the FDA does not regulate things as they should. A Chicago Tribune article a friend sent me told of how people with anaphylactic reactions nearly died due to eating foods that were not properly labeled. Testing is not done in most facilities, and this needs to change. I am now afraid to eat anything made by the Hain Celestial Group.

They make Arrowhead Mills products as well as Rice and Soy Dream. A friend of mine got ill from using their gluten-free flours. I was using DeBoles pasta, which they also make. I become violently ill from a microscopic amount of gluten, so I am paranoid-careful. One company I feel sets a wonderful example is Kraft. This company has been labeling allergens clearly for 14 years, and they were the ones who notified the FDA about the salmonella outbreak in the pistachios.

For the record, I have had the new Chex cereals, and done well. However, eating too much of anything puts a person at risk for developing a sensitivity to that food. Varying your diet is essential to avoiding new food issues. That is what makes this disease so frustrating. If it is not one thing, it seems to be another!

Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#9 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

Sometimes I'll have a slight mid-morning bout of (not quite) D accompanied by a slight tummy hurt. Nothing real bad, but still something irregular. I suspect the cereals. Not gluten but just the grains, sugars, who knows? maybe our diets have been so restricted for so long that we just can't eat some things successfully.

The same thing happens when I eat those frozen gluten-free waffles and english muffins with butter and syrup. Too rich?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#10 GFMM88

GFMM88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

Just to voice my experience: I have tried the Rice Chex and Honey Nut Rice Chex, both of which clearly stated Gluten-Free on the box. I consider myself extremely sensitive and I have been fine with both. We should all be careful to avoid the old boxes of Rice Chex which contain barley malt as they phase those out.

#11 GFMM88

GFMM88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

That is not to say, Taweavmo, that you were buying the kind with barley malt! Just something for everyone to be aware of. There are many valid reasons why the Chex may be giving your daughter trouble. Best of luck trying to figure it out, and hopefully she'll be able to tolerate Chex- it's nice to be able to eat something so mainstream.

#12 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

I havent had a prob with rice chex. but if I eat way too many its similar to a glutening. same with any grain for me. I just feel better away from them. I eat them only occasionally.

#13 jlbroyles23

jlbroyles23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

I went to the Chex website to get some recipe ideas. Some of them called for Chocolate and/or cinnamon chex. I could not find the ingredient list for the cinnamon and the chocolate said it had barley malt extract. How can this be gluten free as there recipe states. Or as I missing something?

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,696 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

I went to the Chex website to get some recipe ideas. Some of them called for Chocolate and/or cinnamon chex. I could not find the ingredient list for the cinnamon and the chocolate said it had barley malt extract. How can this be gluten free as there recipe states. Or as I missing something?

If it has barley malt it is not gluten free. The cinnamon ones I found do have barley malt although they may be changing the formula. I would contact the company and let them know about the error in the recipe section.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

The recent "Chex" threads here on the forum have said the company is phasing in the introductions of the gluten-free Chex cereals. That's exactly what I've seen here in the DFW area, ie. it's not happening all at once. What I have noticed, is when they finally introduce one, it's clearly marked GLUTEN FREE in big letters on the front of the box. There is no mistaking it.

IMO, It makes things confusing when we have multiple threads on the same topic. On some forums I frequent, the moderators will redirect new threads to the appropriate topic. For instance, how many new Mcdonalds fries threads are we going to have?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: