This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Forgive Me - Newbie

trying4faith

trying4faith Apprentice

Hi all, newbie questions.

I noticed Heinz catsup is gluten-free - thank you!

Here are my ??

1. Substitute for white vinegar

2. Substitute for flour to thicken sauces (roux)

3. gluten-free hamburgers? Recipe?

4. gluten-free sausage? This is one of the only things my 2 1/2 yr old likes

5. Is cream (1/2 n 1/2, whipping cream, etc) gluten-free? Or is there a brand that is?

I very much appreciate the help. I know I can call the 800 numbers tomorrow, but am trying to plan for the week coming up and no one's open today.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

apple cider vinegar

corn starch works great to thicken sauces

hamburger meat is gluten-free, just make your patties... I like Kinnikinick gluten-free hamburger buns

applegate farms makes gluten-free sausages, but I'm not so crazy about them. I'm sure there are some other brands of sausage that are gluten-free, I just don't know what they are.

as far as I know, all cream is gluten-free, like 1/2 & 1/2 ... but I could be wrong. I use Horizon Organics creams and other dairy products.

jmj0803 Apprentice

Here's what I've found-

1. Heinz - distilled white vinegar and apple cider(not apple flavored)

2. Cornstarch is a GREAT thickener(I use it alot) you can also use a Gluten Free all purpose flour

3. like nini said hamburger is gluten free.

4 Sausage: I received this list from the company

Jones Dairy Farm Products Suitable for Gluten-free Diet

All Natural Little Pork Sausages*

All Natural Dinner Pork Sausages*

All Natural Light Pork Sausage & Rice Links*

All Natural Pork Sausage Patties*

All Natural Maple Little Pork Sausages*

All Natural Original Pork Sausage Roll

Golden Brown Mild Fully Cooked and Browned Sausage Links*

Golden Brown Made From Beef Fully Cooked and Browned Sausage Links*

Golden Brown Spicy Fully Cooked and Browned Sausage Links*

Golden Brown Light Fully Cooked and Browned Sausage & Rice Links*

Golden Brown Fully Cooked and Browned Sausage Patties*

Country Carved Sliced Bacon - Regular

Country Carved Sliced Bacon - Thick

Rock River Sliced Bacon

Slab Bacon

Farm Fresh & Tender

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

As was said in the previous posts cornstarch is a great thickener

As for whipped cream..look at Kraft they do not hide anything.

trying4faith Apprentice

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

catfish Apprentice

For thickening I like cornstarch for some things, but not for others. It's great for puddings, or for clear broth-based gravies.

For a roux however (butter or fat-based gravy) I prefer a mix; 2/3 Asian rice flour and 1/3 bean flour (I use Great Northern Bean flour, but garfava or whatever will work too). This will not only result in a more flour-like roux (it bonds well with the fats and the end product is not as gelatinous as corn starch) but it is also more nutritious (rice and beans in combination contain all the amino acids required for your body to make protein).

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Here is a reply from Jimmy Dean Sausage

Jimmy Dean Foods

(Division of Sara Lee Corporation)

8000 Centerview Parkway., Suite 400

Cordova, Tennessee 38018-7929

Phone: (901) 753-1600

Sent a letter dated 6/26/00 which included the following statements: "Our fresh sausage meat, Jimmy Dean Regular, Special Recipe and Hot Roll Sausage, Skinless Sausage Links, Dinner Sausage, and Patties do not contain wheat or gluten products. There are no artificial ingredients in our fresh sausage. However, our smoked sausage, bacon, precooked sausage, and our sandwiches are not gluten free.

Our fresh sausage is not run on the same equipment as the sandwich products are."

I like their regular, with sage, and hot sausage!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

AND................

Sausage

Hillshire Farm & Kahns

(Division of Sara Lee Corporation)

Sent a letter dated 3/19/99 which included the following statement: "Please avoid the 97% and Fat Free Hot Dogs and Deli Select Roast Beef, but the remaining Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage, Deli Select, Hot Dog, Bacon and Ham products are gluten free, therefore, no wheat, corn, barley or other gluten containing substances are included in these products. We use fresh cuts of pork, beef and turkey, natural seasonings and hardwood smoke."

Jimmy Dean Foods

Sent a letter dated 6/26/00 which included the following statements: "Our fresh sausage meat, Jimmy Dean Regular, Special Recipe and Hot Roll Sausage, Skinless Sausage Links, Dinner Sausage, and Patties do not contain wheat or gluten products. There are no artificial ingredients in our fresh sausage. However, our smoked sausage, bacon, precooked sausage, and our sandwiches are not gluten free.

Our fresh sausage is not run on the same equipment as the sandwich products are."

Louis Rich

From their gluten-free list sent 6/29/00.The list was dated 8/97.

At the bottom of the list was the following statement: "This list is correct as of the date shown below. However, formulations of various products are subject to change at any time. Therefore, to ensure your safety and safety of others, you should rely upon the ingredient statement on each product label to provide the correct formulation of that product." The date shown below was 8/97.

Franks/Smoked Sausage:

Bun-Length Franks made with Turkey and Chicken

Franks made with Turkey and Chicken

Cheese Franks made with Turkey and Chicken

Turkey Polska Kielbasa

Turkey Smoked Sausage

Nestle USA

from their gluten-free product list sent 9/18/98

Libby's Canned Meats

Vienna Sausage

Chicken Vienna Sausage

Oscar Mayer

From their gluten-free list dated 10/5/98, which was sent 5/22/00

At the bottom of the list was the following statement: "This list is correct as of the date shown below. However, formulations of various products are subject to change at any time. Therefore, to ensure your safety and the safety of others, you should rely upon the ingredient statement on each product label to provide the correct formulation of that product." The date shown below was 10/5/98.

Links:

Beef Franks

Beef Franks, Bun-Length brand

Beef Franks, Jumbo

Beef Franks, Light brand

Cheese Hot Dogs made with turkey, pork, beef

Ring Bologna, Wisconsin Made

Smokie Sausage

Smokies, Beef

Smokies, Little Cheese, a pork, turkey & cheese product

Smokies Sausage, Little, made with pork & turkey

Wieners, made with turkey & pork

Wieners, Bun-Length brand made with turkey & pork

Wieners, Jumbo made with turkey & pork

Wieners, Light brand made with turkey, pork & beef

Wieners, Little, made with turkey & pork

Pork Sausage:

Pork Sausage Links

Big & Juicy Brand:

Beef Franks, Deli Style

Hot 'n Spicy Wieners

Wieners

Smokie Style Wieners

Guest Viola

I quite frequently use potato flour for a thickener. Especially for gravies. It has the same flavour as the potatoes and I think a better texture. I also use it to thicken soup :P

lovegrov Collaborator

All white vinegar is gluten-free. Avoid malt vinegar.

Cream is gluten-free.

Most sausages are in fact gluten-free. If you haven't already seen your favorite listed here, call the company and ask.

I agree about the flour mixture instead of cornstarch for a roux.

richard

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I've used both Potato Starch and Tapioca Flour successfully to make a roux. I use them 1:1 as you would regular flour.

trying4faith Apprentice

Thank you so much to everyone. I must admit, the thought of changing our diets FOREVER terrified me a week ago. Each of you has been so open, honest, and kind that I'm beginning to have hope, and realize that I can do this.

Thank you for supporting me, I really needed it.

PS I'm amazed at how rotten the withdrawal was (pounding headaches) but how good my tummy feels!

Archived