10 replies to this topic

#1 kymom

kymom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:24 AM

Hi, well my husband was just diagnosed with celiac last week! Our world has been turned upside down as you all know! I am a nervous wreck not to mention his feelings of anger.....he is a tobacco chewer. Recently he has been using Grizzly smokeless. Does anyone know if any of it is safe? Please help me.....I know I will be depending on your responses to very many questions. We have found that in our area it is not well known and we feel like we are on our own with this.... :( Thanks in advance. kymom

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 svs'n'dvs

svs'n'dvs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi, well my husband was just diagnosed with celiac last week! Our world has been turned upside down as you all know! I am a nervous wreck not to mention his feelings of anger.....he is a tobacco chewer. Recently he has been using Grizzly smokeless. Does anyone know if any of it is safe? Please help me.....I know I will be depending on your responses to very many questions. We have found that in our area it is not well known and we feel like we are on our own with this.... :( Thanks in advance. kymom

:o The best advice I have for your husband is to "STOP CHEWING TOBACCO!!!!" The increased risk of mouth cancer, tongue cancer, esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, etc., due to chewing tobacco is well documented.

I realize that the addiction is quite strong due to the nature of chewing tobacco and the addicting additives, but if he is going to follow the celiac diet to maintain his health, it makes sense that he would quit chewing tobacco to maintain his health.

The only other way to find out if his "brand" is gluten free is to call the manufacturer. My gut guess is that it is not...

Good luck to you and your husband in your life changing journey!

#3 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

:o The best advice I have for your husband is to "STOP CHEWING TOBACCO!!!!" The increased risk of mouth cancer, tongue cancer, esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, etc., due to chewing tobacco is well documented.

I realize that the addiction is quite strong due to the nature of chewing tobacco and the addicting additives, but if he is going to follow the celiac diet to maintain his health, it makes sense that he would quit chewing tobacco to maintain his health.

The only other way to find out if his "brand" is gluten free is to call the manufacturer. My gut guess is that it is not...

Good luck to you and your husband in your life changing journey!

Why is it there is always someone who likes to lecture people on tobacco use? I am sure that everyone who smokes and uses chewing tobacco knows it is not healthy for them but they need to come to their own decision about quitting. Any guy that has been diagnosed with Celiac and is going through the anger phase of things is not going to quit this habit overnight. And everyone who smokes and uses chewing snuff does not get cancer either. It's an increased risk, not a foregone conclusion.

As for it's gluten-free status, if it is a flavored tobacco, it may not be gluten-free. If it is plain tobacco, it probably is but he needs to call the tobacco manufacturer to verify.
They may not even know themselves, due to the nature of their product. Can you list the ingredients here?

#4 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Why is it there is always someone who likes to lecture people on tobacco use? I am sure that everyone who smokes and uses chewing tobacco knows it is not healthy for them but they need to come to their own decision about quitting. Any guy that has been diagnosed with Celiac and is going through the anger phase of things is not going to quit this habit overnight. And everyone who smokes and uses chewing snuff does not get cancer either. It's an increased risk, not a foregone conclusion.

As for it's gluten-free status, if it is a flavored tobacco, it may not be gluten-free. If it is plain tobacco, it probably is but he needs to call the tobacco manufacturer to verify.
They may not even know themselves, due to the nature of their product. Can you list the ingredients here?

Thanks Gemini, I was thinking the same thing when I read svs response. These two people need support on a loss not a lecture about chewing. I recently stopped smoking and it took me years to come to terms with it.

Like Gemini said, best thing to do is call the company. This is a very supportive site and people here are very helpful, dont ever hesitiate to ask questions. Welcome to the boards =)

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

#5 MisoSushi

MisoSushi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

I use something called "snus" which is tobacco that goes in the upper lip but im sure you could use in the lower lip. I order it online, it comes from sweden, and they are very good about their ingredient listing and only using all natural ingredients. They use no preservatives which means you have to keep it refrigerated, but also means less ingredients that would trigger celiacs. I use it daily with no problem.

#6 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Added thanks to Gemini.

The woman was asking a question and noticeably concerned, not looking for a lecture.

I have the same question, and nobody has ever posted back that they have contacted the manufacturer so I will make that a "todo" item.

#7 Lfrost

Lfrost

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Added thanks to Gemini.

The woman was asking a question and noticeably concerned, not looking for a lecture.

I have the same question, and nobody has ever posted back that they have contacted the manufacturer so I will make that a "todo" item.

Hey ronschon, here is a link to someone who posted on this before, it looks like they contacted the company, but it didn't help much:

http://www.celiac.co...keless-tobacco/

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Added thanks to Gemini.

I don't know if they make chewing tobacco but after diagnosis I switched to a totally additive free tobacco made by a company called Natural American Spirit. Their cigs and tobacco are just tobacco nothing else.
Incidentally I went from being a pack a day smoker to someone who now smokes the equivalent of a pack a week with no effort whatsoever. 3 drags off a cig and I don't need another for at least 3 hours whereas when smoking regular cigs I would crave another within minutes. Seems I was more addicted to the additives than the tobacco. The one drawback is that the cigs do go out quickly if you are not drawing on them since they don't have all the additives to keep them burning.
You may want to check and see if they make chewing tobacco. The company is located in Santa Fe NM. I have no affilitation with them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm not sure if you will get much info from the tobacco companies. They are famous for not wanting to tell people (even the government) what kind of additives they put in cigarettes. I'm not sure about chew though. Maybe because it goes in the mouth where there is a chance of actually ingesting some, the rules would be different.

I understand why svs'ndvs posted the "lecture" though. I was tempted to do the same. As a smoker who knows this habit is killing me, I'd like to lecture everyone about not STARTING, because I know how hard it is to quit. And I also am surrounded by people who chew, and yes, quite a few people I know have gotten oral cancer. And it is so GROSS when someone who chews comes into my shop spitting that ugly brown "juice" into a cup or used soda bottle.

But on the other hand, I realize that giving up gluten will be hard enough without trying to give up tobacco at the same time. If it turns out the chew is gluten-free, it will be at least SOMETHING enjoyable from the days BEFORE gluten-free that he can take comfort in. (That was just ONE of my excuses to continue smoking.)

One bad habbit at a time. Fix the gluten problem and worry about the chew later. I'll be giving up the cigarettes too...later.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

My problem has been mostly taken care of. I used the product for about 30 years before finally quitting. Now, a very small bit, I use the chewing tobacco pouches made by UST - skoal xtra pouches.

To quantify the change, probably less than 10% a day than what I used for so many years.

I have only been gluten-free for 4 days, so it will take time before I know if it will have to be 100% gone.

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Added thanks to Gemini.

Just a note that the " lecture" was 3 years ago. :D

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: